News: ST: CBS dispute with Dish could mean no Thanksgiving Day Cowboys’ game

jimmy40

Reaction score
I have Dish, pay too much for it but I like it, I love my Dish anywhere, if I don't get the game, oh well.

superonyx

Reaction score
I was curious as to where this "tax" was coming from. Like CBS was passing it on to consumers in a normal Dish package for their lack of revenue from additional NFL Ticket purchases. I have cable and noticed a minor increase in basic progamming. Thanks.
Depending on the “tax” it could actually be a surcharge the cable company adds to your bill to allow them to increase your rates while not technically increasing the price on your promo package. If you are in a 2year promo they can add taxes and fees to your bill without violating the original promotion. It’s sort of slimy but unfortunately the local cable channels and major networks keep increasing the rebroadcast fees and it leaves the cable companies with little choice...
Btw..most smaller cable operators actually make no money on your tv packages. They only make money on internet and phone subscribers. And on equipment rentals...

Probably more info than you want or need to know..:)

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Depending on the “tax” it could actually be a surcharge the cable company adds to your bill to allow them to increase your rates while not technically increasing the price on your promo package. If you are in a 2year promo they can add taxes and fees to your bill without violating the original promotion. It’s sort of slimy but unfortunately the local cable channels and major networks keep increasing the rebroadcast fees and it leaves the cable companies with little choice...
Btw..most smaller cable operators actually make no money on your tv packages. They only make money on internet and phone subscribers. And on equipment rentals...

Probably more info than you want or need to know..:)

Thanks bud, I noticed it wasn't and actual increase in the base programming (im with Comcast/Xfinity) but an increase in regional or local acces fees or whatever. Wasn't sure if networks were increasing said taxes (like regular Direct TV subscribers) to make up for lost nationwide revenue of the Ticket. Thanks again. :)

edit: i'm assuming CBS shares in the Ticket profits given the number of regional games they televise, which have declined nationwide so they are looking to find revenue from some sort of a "tax". I might be wrong though. Hense my original question.

Last edited:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It will save them from watching the slaughter!

But if they were smart they’d find a site and stream it

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Directtv did this at the beginning of the year. The network went dark at midnight on new years eve/day. Stayed dark for days. Right up until just before their first playoff game broadcast. Somehow they managed to get it settled rather than miss that game.

I'm betting the same will happen here.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Market Affiliation Station Call Letters
Atlanta CW WUPA-TV
Baltimore CBS WJZ-TV
Boston (Manchester) CBS WBZ-TV
Boston (Manchester) MNT WSBK-TV
Chicago CBS WBBM-TV
Dallas-Ft. Worth CBS KTVT-TV
Dallas-Ft. Worth IND KTXA-TV
Denver CBS KCNC-TV
Detroit CW WKBD-TV
Detroit CBS WWJ-TV
Johnstown-Altoona-State College CW WPCW-TV
Los Angeles IND KCAL-TV
Los Angeles CBS KCBS-TV
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale MNT WBFS-TV
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale CBS WFOR-TV
Minneapolis-St. Paul CBS WCCO-TV
New York CBS WCBS-TV
New York IND WLNY-TV
Philadelphia CBS KYW-TV
Philadelphia CW WPSG-TV
Pittsburgh CBS KDKA-TV
Pittsburgh CW WPCW-TV
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CW KMAX-TV
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CBS KOVR-TV
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CW KBCW-TV
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CBS KPIX-TV
Seattle-Tacoma CW KSTW-TV
Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) CW WTOG-TV

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Please elaborate on this in ot. I am interested in HD TV antenna and limitations, advantages etc.

Well dear mench, I can only reply from what has happened from across the pond. I cannot say what has happened in the UK. However most of us can now connect our TV device to receive an HD signal to local channels with using a simple antenna connection. I'm not sure if that's how it works out there. We no longer have to depend on cable or satellite for everything. HDTV for local major networks is generally free. (FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC etc.)

Unless you want just the four major networks (plus any other locals you gan get on antenna) to watch on TV you would need to stream "others" (unless pay for cable or satellite) using a smart tv or other addon devices such as rokku, firestick, playstation etc. via wi-fi.

"Others" might be a subscription to Hulu Live, Sling TV, Amazon TV, chromecast or whatever. Like History, Food Netork or AMC channels. Each has different channels to watch, depending on what you want, at normally a cheaper price than fully bulndled cable or satellite. Perhaps separate them. Get internet with a capaple wi-fi unit, pay for internet only, then pay for the programming wou want.

If you don't want 150 channels of stuff you will never watch, why pay for bundled cable or satellite? Modern stuff gives you a choice.

The only disadvantage I see is that you would have to "switch" your tv (if that's what you use) from a cable/satellite connection (or HDMI) to a wifi-capable device. You can't hit the "back" button to go from one game on wifi to cable or satellite. Hou would have to adjust your TV first.

Sorry to be extravenent, but you asked. Any others feel free to comment, I'm not the expert by any means.

Last edited:

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Market Affiliation Station Call Letters
Atlanta CW WUPA-TV
Baltimore CBS WJZ-TV
Boston (Manchester) CBS WBZ-TV
Boston (Manchester) MNT WSBK-TV
Chicago CBS WBBM-TV
Dallas-Ft. Worth CBS KTVT-TV
Dallas-Ft. Worth IND KTXA-TV
Denver CBS KCNC-TV
Detroit CW WKBD-TV
Detroit CBS WWJ-TV
Johnstown-Altoona-State College CW WPCW-TV
Los Angeles IND KCAL-TV
Los Angeles CBS KCBS-TV
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale MNT WBFS-TV
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale CBS WFOR-TV
Minneapolis-St. Paul CBS WCCO-TV
New York CBS WCBS-TV
New York IND WLNY-TV
Philadelphia CBS KYW-TV
Philadelphia CW WPSG-TV
Pittsburgh CBS KDKA-TV
Pittsburgh CW WPCW-TV
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CW KMAX-TV
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CBS KOVR-TV
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CW KBCW-TV
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CBS KPIX-TV
Seattle-Tacoma CW KSTW-TV
Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) CW WTOG-TV

Thanks Speed, notice the Dallas networks effected including most major areas

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Well dear mench, I can only reply from what has happened from across the pond. I cannot say what has happened in the UK. However most of us can now connect our TV device to receive an HD signal to local channels with using a simple antenna connection. I'm not sure if that's how it works out there. We no longer have to depend on cable or satellite for everything. HDTV for local major networks is generally free. (FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC etc.)

Unless you want just the four major networks (plus any other locals you gan get on antenna) to watch on TV you would need to stream "others" (unless pay for cable or satellite) using a smart tv or other addon devices such as rokku, firestick, playstation etc. via wi-fi.

"Others" might be a subscription to Hulu Live, Sling TV, Amazon TV, chromecast or whatever. Like History, Food Netork or AMC channels. Each has different channels to watch, depending on what you want, at normally a cheaper price than fully bulndled cable or satellite. Perhaps separate them. Get internet with a capaple wi-fi unit, pay for internet only, then pay for the programming wou want.

If you don't want 150 channels of stuff you will never watch, why pay for bundled cable or satellite? Modern stuff gives you a choice.

The only disadvantage I see is that you would have to "switch" your tv (if that's what you use) from a cable/satellite connection (or HDMI) to a wifi-capable device. You can't hit the "back" button to go from one game on wifi to cable or satellite. Hou would have to adjust your TV first.

Sorry to be extravenent, but you asked. Any others feel free to comment, I'm not the expert by any means.
Damn that was good. Thanks bohhunter! I am sure others learned something too. In the end it looks like we have to pay someone, either the thieving cable companies, satellite cartel or others like Netflix or Hulu.
Again, thanks, sir!

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Damn that was good. Thanks bohhunter! I am sure others learned something too. In the end it looks like we have to pay someone, either the thieving cable companies, satellite cartel or others like Netflix or Hulu.
Again, thanks, sir!

Thanks Gimmie.I just find it funny that many people think that streaming is not being factored into ratings. They always have been. If you are curious, check this out...27 million smart TV's!

One way, via Nielsen boxes on select cable viewers in incertain markets or millions of paper surveys. they extrapolate data

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/31/nielsen-gracenote-ad-targeting/

Last edited:

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Time and a half? Or double? Eighter way, good for you!
Double time and half. I'm a fool. If the cowboys were meeting expectation or competing, I wouldn't have even entertained the thought about goin in. It's voluntary. This will be the first time I've worked on the same day the cowboys had a game since 2015 after Romo went down. But enough was enough after they quit last Sunday

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Just go out and buy an HD antenna and plug it into your tv. The picture is surprisingly clear. I did that a couple years ago when running cable wires wasn't feasible into an upstairs loft and before wireless cable was available.

Which HD antenna did you buy?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Yeah nothing better than getting an ESPN alert that Dallas scored a touchdown then getting to see it myself 90 seconds later.

Your not looking in the right places because their are many sites that are 10 sec delayed. Put the damn phone away then it won't matter.