News: ST: Cowboys OG La’el Collins readying for return from injured reserve

vaturkey

Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you believe he (Collins) could be a better tackle than Free. He just does not have the feet, he is strictly a mauler. Think Kevin Gogan: Honorable Mention All-American tackle out of Washington. Dallas tried him at RT and he failed miserably. He did not have the foot speed for pass blocking although he was quite good at run blocking. He moved to guard and eventually became a Pro Bowler for the Raiders.

Collins might be an average tackle but why play him there if he can be a great guard?

I think you look at upside. Does Free still have an upside at Right Tackle. Nope, don't think so. He is what he is at this point. So the question is do you go with someone who has a chance to be a superior Right Tackle down the road. I'd say yes you give it a shot. Free gets killed by both speed and power. He's certainly not awful, but there is certainly room for an upgrade. If however Leary is gone I'd not make the move and keep Collins at guard. No quarterback likes pressure up the middle and without Leary in the mix we have to keep the interior strong.