News: ST: Cowboys OG La’el Collins readying for return from injured reserve

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Starting 5
Looney
Collins
Clearly

We can easily dress 8 OL for the playoffs.

jaybird

Reaction score
Great news!!!! I would love to see him eventually replace Doug Free at RT. I believe Free should be let go in the offseason with Collins stepping in. I know they're saying he can't play tackle in the NFL, but to my knowledge they've never even given him a try at RT. I personally think he would be a serious upgrade over Doug Free. We should also keep Ron Leary. Next season our line would look like this....

RT= La'el Collins
RG= Zack Martin
C= Travis Frederick
LG= Ron Leary
LT= Tyron Smith
"I would love to see him eventually replace Doug Free at RT' To this day, I will never understand why that wasn't the plan from day one. Wasn't he an awesome Tackle in College? Imagine the possibilities--Smith-Leary- Frederick-Martin- Collins and Free as the Swing.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I think it totally depends on Leary. If he's still here then I see no changes in the front 3 (Center both Guards). I see Collins moving out to Right Tackle and Free hitting the streets. Chaz backs up multiple positions.
That works too. Both Collins and Martin were superior tackles on college.

I hate moving an all pro, but Martin is such a stud I think he's be a better tackle than Collins.

They HAVE to prioritize Leary this offseason.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you believe he (Collins) could be a better tackle than Free. He just does not have the feet, he is strictly a mauler. Think Kevin Gogan: Honorable Mention All-American tackle out of Washington. Dallas tried him at RT and he failed miserably. He did not have the foot speed for pass blocking although he was quite good at run blocking. He moved to guard and eventually became a Pro Bowler for the Raiders.

Collins might be an average tackle but why play him there if he can be a great guard?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why some of you believe he (Collins) could be a better tackle than Free. He just does not have the feet, he is strictly a mauler. Think Kevin Gogan: Honorable Mention All-American tackle out of Washington. Dallas tried him at RT and he failed miserably. He did not have the foot speed for pass blocking although he was quite good at run blocking. He moved to guard and eventually became a Pro Bowler for the Raiders.

Collins might be an average tackle but why play him there if he can be a great guard?
Collins played LT in the SEC which his the highest level of competition in college football. Many draft analysts projected him to play OT in the NFL.

His feet are not a problem. He has had some technique issues in pass protection at times but the problems were not due to a lack of athleticism. There are definitely less athletic players playing RT in the NFL.

The bar is not high for him to be better than Free.

If they have a great option to replace Free it would be one thing, but they don't. Collin at RT and Leary at LG could easily be better than Free at RT and Collins at LG regardless of whether Collins himself is better at OG than at OT.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Collins played LT in the SEC which his the highest level of competition in college football. Many draft analysts projected him to play OT in the NFL.

His feet are not a problem. He has had some technique issues in pass protection at times but the problems were not due to a lack of athleticism. There are definitely less athletic players playing RT in the NFL.

The bar is not high for him to be better than Free.

If they have a great option to replace Free it would be one thing, but they don't. Collin at RT and Leary at LG could easily be better than Free at RT and Collins at LG regardless of whether Collins himself is better at OG than at OT.

The fact they do not have a great option to replace Free and he has yet to be considered should tell us internet talent evaluators something. Like it or not, Free is the better option at RT until the Cowboys can draft his replacement.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
It's more about how Free is struggling and anyone would be better.

More about how Free is not an all-world, first-round draft pick that everyone seems to have a problem with him.

How soon we forget about an aged, broken down Columbo, a slow-footed Petitti, and a horrible Torrin Tucker. Free is far from great but he has held his own, especially in the running game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact they do not have a great option to replace Free and he has yet to be considered should tell us internet talent evaluators something. Like it or not, Free is the better option at RT until the Cowboys can draft his replacement.
Garrett has an attachment to Free. When Callahan was the OL coach he wanted to replace Free but Garrett refused.

As long as Free is on the roster, Garrett will keep him as a starter. It's similar to Nick Hayden and Marinelli. If the front office had re-signed Hayden, Marinelli would have had him starting this year because Hayden never had a "loaf" when the weekly grades were done.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Garrett has an attachment to Free. When Callahan was the OL coach he wanted to replace Free but Garrett refused.

As long as Free is on the roster, Garrett will keep him as a starter. It's similar to Nick Hayden and Marinelli. If the front office had re-signed Hayden, Marinelli would have had him starting this year because Hayden never had a "loaf" when the weekly grades were done.

Garrett will keep him as the starter as long as he has to. I don't believe for a minute the Cowboys consider him (Free) irreplaceable, the problem is they do not have anyone better. I believe that will be remedied this April.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
Collins as a replacement to Looney as the "TE" on jumbo package would be a much larger short term impact than Collins replacing Cleary as swing tackle. His athleticism would be a huge boost to the running game in getting Zeke to the edge.

Having said that, I really think long term, Collins should begin the transition to RT to replace Free and use the money you would spend on Free and some of Romo cap savings on bringing back Leary. At this point, the best case scenario is for Chaz Green to get healthy enough to compete for the swing tackle.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Great, just wish Zilla would have gotten more reps at RT...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett will keep him as the starter as long as he has to. I don't believe for a minute the Cowboys consider him (Free) irreplaceable, the problem is they do not have anyone better. I believe that will be remedied this April.
They had somebody better...