News: ST: It's on: Jerry Jones to fight reimbursing the NFL more than $2 million in legal fees

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Please, the NFL did not incur 2 million because of Jerry. It was to defend the atrocious decision to suspend Zeke for nothing.

Do you know what the NFL incurred, with regards to expense? If you do, post it. However, you didn't answer the question. If it cost you money to have to defend yourself, wouldn't you want to recompense that cost? It's a yes or no question.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Do you know what the NFL incurred, with regards to expense? If you do, post it. However, you didn't answer the question. If it cost you money to have to defend yourself, wouldn't you want to recompense that cost? It's a yes or no question.

But did the league have to defend itself?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's a law and order type of guy. If a superior tells him X, he will more likely than not, believe it without question.

You paint an interesting picture. I wonder how you would stand up to the light of day? You are a guy who thinks money is everything, who thinks anybody who doesn't overspend on material things is lessor and who objectifies women on the daily, yet claims to love them all.

Work on you Canadian, you got enough going on all by yourself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But did the league have to defend itself?

The league has lawyers, who do cost money. I mean, if your asking if it had to go to court, the answer would be no, not this time. However, they probably did have to spend resources to prepare for that instance. I mean, yeah, they probably did have to spend some money there.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
to be blunt your so called reality only exists in your mind. If you cannot see that it was indeed a witch hunt that is your problem.

Well, "to be blunt" it actually exists in the mind of the Commissioner. He's the one who handed down the fines and suspension right? It was a good try thou.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The league has lawyers, who do cost money. I mean, if your asking if it had to go to court, the answer would be no, not this time. However, they probably did have to spend resources to prepare for that instances. I mean, yeah, they probably did have to spend some money there.
Yep. Of course they did even if they didn’t have to go to court in preparing in the event they did.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The league has lawyers, who do cost money. I mean, if your asking if it had to go to court, the answer would be know, at this time. However, they probably did have to spend resources to prepare for that instance. I mean, yeah, they probably did have to spend some money there.

Can you imagine how litigious things would be if people were held responsible for their opposition simply seeking legal advice?

Edit- I wonder if the league has lawyers on staff. If so, that would seem to change things imo.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Who brings in more money? Jerry or the NFL as a whole?

To have to defend what can easily be taken as an arbitrary use of authority, is just the way our judicial system is designed...and isn't determined by the cost of a defense in court. It wasn't a tort action in challenging the cause for punishment.

Just like the Dez rule being changed...what the league did is STILL just wrong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Can you imagine how litigious things would be if people were held responsible for their opposition simply seeking legal advice?

OMG, no more! I could not, however, I would guess that the NFL probably had their lawyers do more then just give legal advice. I would guess that they probably had their legal team start working on a defense. I don't know that to be a fact but I would guess that this is what happened. I will say this, I do think that if Jerry is fined, the League should be compelled to identify, in detail, the costs associated with their legal efforts over the issue. I do think that something like that would be very reasonable. Now, will they have to do that? I doubt it but they should IMO.

Haimerej

Reaction score
OMG, no more! I could not, however, I would guess that the NFL probably had their lawyers do more then just give legal advice. I would guess that they probably had their legal team start working on a defense. I don't know that to be a fact but I would guess that this is what happened. I will say this, I do think that if Jerry is fined, the League should be compelled to identify, in detail, the costs associated with their legal efforts over the issue. I do think that something like that would be very reasonable. Now, will they have to do that? I doubt it but they should IMO.

Even if they started working on a defense I don't think they could hold someone responsible for any costs associated with that, given the fact it was unnecessary. Just seems to open a whole can of worms in that case.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who brings in more money? Jerry or the NFL as a whole?

To have to defend what can easily be taken as an arbitrary use of authority, is just the way our judicial system is designed...and isn't determined by the cost of a defense in court. It wasn't a tort action in challenging the cause for punishment.

Just like the Dez rule being changed...what the league did is STILL just wrong.

I have said this many times. This is not a discussion about right or wrong. This is about what the league and the Commissioner is within his rights, as Commissioner, to do. It is my experience that Business, most days, is not about right and wrong. It's about smart and IMO, if you know that challenging the Commissioner, over decisions he makes (regardless of if you think they are right or wrong) is going to cost your team, then that's just not smart.

The days of Pro Football being a stand up sport, assuming they ever really existed in the first place, are over and that's unfortunate but that's the truth of it to me. I don't look to the NFL to guide me in issues of morality. I am fortunate to have good parents, good friends, a good Priest and most of all, a Damn good Wife, I can look to for that, when I really need it. I watch the Cowboys and the NFL because I love football and I want to see the Cowboys win. This business of always being in a pissing contest with the league is just counter productive and does nothing to aid in actually winning. I think that it is also important to remember the Jerry supported the hiring of Goodell. Jerry supported the last CBA that was signed off on, by the owners. The Owners new the power they were giving to the Commissioner, through the language in the CBA. They had it written that way because they wanted to gain even more power over the players. They gave up money, in exchange for this kind of power to be granted to the Commissioner. To me, Jerry really has nobody to blame for the current situation, but himself. This deal is proving to be, somewhat of a double edge sword.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Even if they started working on a defense I don't think they could hold someone responsible for any costs associated with that, given the fact it was unnecessary. Just seems to open a whole can of worms in that case.

I've said this often as well. The league has power over the owners that may not be defensible in a court of law but because this League does not operate under those same conditions, it doesn't matter. The Commissioner is not stupid and he usually doesn't hand down decisions that he can not be defend.

You have to remember, this decision is supported unanimously by all of the other owners, according to reports. Jerry, by threatening to sue the league, is basically costing all of the owners money and they don't like that.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The NFL was not on in defense mode they were in attack mode Zeke was defending himself and still should be

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The NFL was not on in defense mode they were in attack mode Zeke was defending himself and still should be

This is not about Zeke. This is about Jerry threatening to Sue the League and the fine that the Commissioner, has since handed down to Jerry for cost associated with having to prepare for such a suit, according to the NFL.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
This is not about Zeke. This is about Jerry threatening to Sue the League and the fine that the Commissioner, has since handed down to Jerry for cost associated with having to prepare for such a suit, according to the NFL.
If they can threaten him he can return the favor

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If they can threaten him he can return the favor

Absolutely. I agree 100%, he can but should he? He can get fined, he can continue to have a contentious relationship with the League, we can go weeks and months without getting a holding call and the wheel can continue to turn for us. We can watch other teams get better while we make it harder for ourselves but yeah, he can absolutely do that.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Absolutely. I agree 100%, he can but should he? He can get fined, he can continue to have a contentious relationship with the League, we can go weeks and months without getting a holding call and the wheel can continue to turn for us. We can watch other teams get better while we make it harder for ourselves but yeah, he can absolutely do that.
The NFL has done more damage to its self than Jerry could do even if he lives to be 180 years old Maybe if he fights hard enough he can be part of the solution because those people do not have a clue about what they are doing

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have said this many times. This is not a discussion about right or wrong. This is about what the league and the Commissioner is within his rights, as Commissioner, to do. It is my experience that Business, most days, is not about right and wrong. It's about smart and IMO, if you know that challenging the Commissioner, over decisions he makes (regardless of if you think they are right or wrong) is going to cost your team, then that's just not smart.

The days of Pro Football being a stand up sport, assuming they ever really existed in the first place, are over and that's unfortunate but that's the truth of it to me. I don't look to the NFL to guide me in issues of morality. I am fortunate to have good parents, good friends, a good Priest and most of all, a Damn good Wife, I can look to for that, when I really need it. I watch the Cowboys and the NFL because I love football and I want to see the Cowboys win. This business of always being in a pissing contest with the league is just counter productive and does nothing to aid in actually winning. I think that it is also important to remember the Jerry supported the hiring of Goodell. Jerry supported the last CBA that was signed off on, by the owners. The Owners new the power they were giving to the Commissioner, through the language in the CBA. They had it written that way because they wanted to gain even more power over the players. They gave up money, in exchange for this kind of power to be granted to the Commissioner. To me, Jerry really has nobody to blame for the current situation, but himself. This deal is proving to be, somewhat of a double edge sword.

That's just my opinion.

That's a great response in discussion...and I enjoyed your views.

I still like stronger ethics and integrity displayed when usual harm and injury occurs each and every day. I don't think that cash flow considerations don't abolish responsibility to additionally show fairness for the group that survives the physical side of mere play.

Examples for our youth are still a cherished element to this fan. Players such as Jason Witten and JJ Watts are good role models...as is also, Jerry Jones. This isn't lost on myself, as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
As to an adult approach, these are the affecting facts:

...He, (Jerry), threatened to sue the league to block Goodell's contract extension. He never filed suit. And regarding Elliott's case, Jones and the Cowboys provided a letter of support. They were not involved in the case.

Per sources, Elliott's lawyers have been asked to come to the hearing on Monday where they will provide documents showing that Jones provided no financial assistance to the case.

Another point Jones expects to use in his defense is that New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft was not asked to reimburse legal fees to the NFL in regards to the Deflategate case even though the Patriots filed an amicus brief in support of quarterback Tom Brady's appeal...

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article203215639.html#storylink=cpy

cern

Reaction score
The league has lawyers, who do cost money. I mean, if your asking if it had to go to court, the answer would be no, not this time. However, they probably did have to spend resources to prepare for that instance. I mean, yeah, they probably did have to spend some money there.
it's called discovery and research. the work's done by paralegals. the bill reflects the work of the managing partners of the firm. attorneys are like doctors in one major regard..................they know how to pad the bills.