News: ST: Jason Witten not a Hall of Famer? Some pundits don't think so

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Bomani Jones has shouted from the rooftops that Witten isn't a Hall of Famer. His biggest arguments are that he was never the best TE in the game any time he played. Never better than Gates, Gonzales, Gronk, etc. He also argues that longevity and reliability aren't reasons to make the HOF.
Would anybody say a RB or WR with eight Top 10 yardage seasons doesn't belong in the HOF? Witten has eight Top 5 seasons at his position.

Here are the 9 HOF tight ends, plus Witten, Gates, and Gonzalez.

Seasons ranked among Top 5 TE in receiving yards
Tony Gonzalez 15
Shannon Sharpe 11
Jason Witten 8
Antonio Gates 7
Jackie Smith 7
Dave Casper 6
Ozzie Newsome 6
Kellen Winslow 6
Mike Ditka 4
John Mackey 3
Charlie Sanders 3

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Shannon doesn't have the same career numbers and only played one less year.
Sharpe retired fifteen years ago and played three less seasons than Witten, and at the time, no one who ever played tight end had better numbers than him. You can’t compare player numbers that far apart, it would be like saying Staubach wasn’t as good as Flacco or Eli because they have higher passing ratings now.
Also since Sharpe has retired he has been passed statistically by five or six guys, so its obviously more a sign of the era than a unique singular effort by a single player.

Edit: as far as the seasons go, I was wrong he did play one fewer season but he missed parts of multiple seasons with injuries which explains the game difference. For accuracy, I will just leave seasons out of it and say Witten played 35 more games, a little over 2 seasons.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Since this is a thread about Witten getting into the HOF I assumed you were talking about him. My mistake.

As for Romo, I don't think his chances are in any way tied to the notion that voters wouldn't want him to go in before Brady and Rogers etc .... the order has no significance at all beyond being tied to when people retire. I just don't think Romo will go in at all.

Some one mentioned Tony Romo, and I took the bait. :)
I do think voters consider eras, which is why I don't think Romo gets in. They generally ask the question, "Was he the best of his era?" That's partly how guys are measured.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s a nice list but I think something like nearly half of Witten’s Pro Bowls were alternates.

Fair point. So many players bow out these days, it's gotten to be much less of a distinction.

But, Witten was First Team All Pro twice. Probably made a few more as not an alternate.

Associated Press had him 1st team twice, 2nd team twice.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Fair point. So many players bow out these days, it's gotten to be much less of a distinction.

But, Witten was First Team All Pro twice. Probably made a few more as not an alternate.

Even if it’s just six or seven “legit” ones for Witten, it’s still a ton of Pro Bowls. Especially since there has been competition.
Still it’s kind of weird that people are given Pro Bowl “status” for being alternates. It’s not that big of a deal, but I’m sure it is a consideration that is at least considered a little bit for things like the Hall of Fame. I mean Dez made the Pro Bowl in 2016 as an alternate, that should tell you how silly it is.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
: as far as the seasons go, I was wrong he did play one fewer season but he missed parts of multiple seasons with injuries which explains the game difference. For accuracy, I will just leave seasons out of it and say Witten played 35 more games, a little over 2 seasons.
This isn't favorable for Sharpe. Playing every game for 14 years at that position is exceptional.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
This isn't favorable for Sharpe. Playing every game for 14 years at that position is exceptional.
Clearly, but that isn’t what he was trying to say... he was saying that Witten had far bigger numbers (he does) in only one more season’s worth of games.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

Eight seasons among the Top 5 TE in yards. Only Gonzalez and Sharpe had more.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Jason Witten and Ware are probably the only Cowboy HOFers in the near future.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some one mentioned Tony Romo, and I took the bait. :)
I do think voters consider eras, which is why I don't think Romo gets in. They generally ask the question, "Was he the best of his era?" That's partly how guys are measured.

I agree they consider eras. I didn’t mean to suggest otherwise. I’m just saying voters aren’t trying to get players into the HOF in the specific order they rank them at their position in the era. If they feel Romo is worthy it won’t matter that Brady isn’t in yet. I just don’t think they will think he’s worthy.