News: ST: Jason Witten not a Hall of Famer? Some pundits don't think so

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I think you are. The question of Witten's status as HOF or not is the topic of the thread, that's true but if you read my posts, nowhere do I offer an opinion on this, one way or the other. I'm simply saying that it is not accurate to say that any of the TEs you mentioned, in your earlier post, are "better" then Witten and that any reasonable GM or person would come to this conclusion. That's not accurate. It depends on the Offensive scheme you run, as to which player might offer more value to any given team.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I believe witten will get in the hall of fame but I don't think it will be first ballot the teams he was on didn't have enough team success in the playoffs that matters a lot to the voters in the hall of fame

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I think you are. The question of Witten's status as HOF or not is the topic of the thread, that's true but if you read my posts, nowhere do I offer an opinion on this, one way or the other. I'm simply saying that it is not accurate to say that any of the TEs you mentioned, in your earlier post, are "better" then Witten and that any reasonable GM or person would come to this conclusion. That's not accurate. It depends on the Offensive scheme you run, as to which player might offer more value to any given team.

Great post. This is absolutely true. Sharpe, for example, was really an H-Back whose role was very different than Witten's role. He probably was better equipped for what he was asked to do than Witten would have been, but Witten was definitely better equipped for what he was asked to do than Sharpe would have been. That doesn't mean one was better than the other, but I will say it is wrong that some dismiss that Witten functioned and excelled as an all around TE rather than specializing as a receiver.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Great post. This is absolutely true. Sharpe, for example, was really an H-Back whose role was very different than Witten's role. He probably was better equipped for what he was asked to do than Witten would have been, but Witten was definitely better equipped for what he was asked to do than Sharpe would have been. That doesn't mean one was better than the other, but I will say it is wrong that some dismiss that Witten functioned and excelled as an all around TE rather than specializing as a receiver.
If you think Shannon Sharpe was anything other than the greatest football player in NFL history you're a dirty homer.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I believe witten will get in the hall of fame but I don't think it will be first ballot the teams he was on didn't have enough team success in the playoffs that matters a lot to the voters in the hall of fame

I think it means more for QBs than maybe a TE or OL for instance.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Him being a part of the media will help him as well. Media guys take care of their own.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
First ballot. No brainer.

I would agree but then again this is a vote that is done by sports writers. I do think Jason will be in the HOF because he deserves it not sure if it will be 1st ballot or not. Being in the public eye of MNF won't hurt

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree but then again this is a vote that is done by sports writers. I do think Jason will be in the HOF because he deserves it not sure if it will be 1st ballot or not. Being in the public eye of MNF won't hurt

Yeah, at the time I made that post, I'd forgotten how badly TEs get jobbed for the HoF. The fact that Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome weren't no-brainers either is crazy to me.

But yeah, Wit does deserve to be in first-ballot. His man-of-the-year persona might help him there. Especially if Gonzales manages to blaze that trail for him. Then again, it might not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, at the time I made that post, I'd forgotten how badly TEs get jobbed for the HoF. The fact that Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome weren't no-brainers either is crazy to me.

But yeah, Wit does deserve to be in first-ballot. His man-of-the-year persona might help him there. Especially if Gonzales manages to blaze that trail for him. Then again, it might not.

I agree with you. I think Witt deserves the HOF I just don't trust the sports writers to make him 1st ballot

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Because Sharpe seemed like the ultimate no-brainer candidate at the time: all time leader for TEs in receptions, yards, TDs; 4 first team All-Pros; 3 Super Bowl titles; 1st team NFL All-Decade Team 1990s... and still didn’t get in until the third try. So logically it would follow Witten may have trouble. A few people have took it upon themselves to (futilely) explain Jason’s superior case and thus the comparisons.
:clap:
That was a well-crafted and intelligence response to my question. Thank you! I now reconsider my question. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So, voters will refuse to cast a ballot for players they don’t deem as good as QBs like Rodgers and Brady until whatever point in the future those guys are elected? Hell, for Rodgers that may not be for 10 years.

And Phillip Rivers? Really?

That makes no sense, especially considering that being inducted before those guys has absolutely nothing to do with how voters view eligible players in relation to other players that are not yet eligible. Witten being elected before Brady or Rodgers, for example, would not be a statement that voters think he was a better player than those guys, it would merely be that he was eligible before those guys and they deemed him worthy of inclusion.

I'm talking about Tony Romo not Witten.
And, yes, voters will judge Tony according to the quarterbacks who were his contemporaries. Tony retired before they did and has a jump on them. But voters will look at Romo based on where he ranked among his quarterback peers. And he's going up against too many guys with stats, NFL MVP and Pro Bowls and Super Bowl rings.

The only way Romo makes it in is if ...
1. Cowboy sentiment rules
2. His popularity as a broadcaster creates enough good will that HOF voters give him the "likable" vote.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm talking about Tony Romo not Witten.
And, yes, voters will judge Tony according to the quarterbacks who were his contemporaries. Tony retired before they did and has a jump on them. But voters will look at Romo based on where he ranked among his quarterback peers. And he's going up against too many guys with stats, NFL MVP and Pro Bowls and Super Bowl rings.

The only way Romo makes it in is if ...
1. Cowboy sentiment rules
2. His popularity as a broadcaster creates enough good will that HOF voters give him the "likable" vote.

Since this is a thread about Witten getting into the HOF I assumed you were talking about him. My mistake.

As for Romo, I don't think his chances are in any way tied to the notion that voters wouldn't want him to go in before Brady and Rogers etc .... the order has no significance at all beyond being tied to when people retire. I just don't think Romo will go in at all.

conner01

Reaction score
I know, but even the most injury-prone player could hold the record for catches in a game. So it's not really just "durability, man."
More about production, I agree
Though production is what the HOF is about

Nerm222

Reaction score
I think Witten should definitely be in the HOF. But the way voters make their choices is really strange to me. I don't really understand the thought behind making someone wait to get in on their 2nd or 3rd year of eligibility if you acknowledge that they should be in eventually. If you think someone is good enough, vote for them. Also, guys like TO lost votes because of how his personality negatively impacted his teams. Does that mean someone like Witten should gain votes due to his leadership qualities?

On a side note, I do not think there will be much of a bias against Witten from the voters in the Northeast. Giant and Eagle fans seem to have a higher opinion of Witten than any other fan bases outside of Dallas. I see a lot of respect for his game when he is discussed.

BigD5

Reaction score
If Jason Witten isn’t a first ballot hall of famer then there is no such thing.

But I wouldn’t put it past the “hall of fame”

They’ve clearly been biased against Dallas since the hall of fame was opened