ST: Report says Tony Romo may prefer release in off-season rather than a trade

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Ummm. I love Tony. I really do. But uh... he's an asset. And I'd prefer to get something back for him rather than lose him for nothing.

Unless a straight release helps give us better salary cap relief. I don't know about that part of it. If it helps in that area and it's good for both parties, then okay cool.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFT: Tony Romo may request, and get, a release in the offseason

It was reported several weeks ago that Romo is eyeing the Broncos. He’s also keeping tabs on several other teams, potentially including the Cardinals and Dolphins.

Why the Dolphins? If Ryan Tannehill eventually needs full-blown ACL reconstruction, there’s a chance they’ll need a Sam Bradford-style replacement for 2017. Romo could be that guy.

The more immediate question is whether at any point between now and the end of the 2016 Romo will be that guy for the Cowboys. Once the season ends, though, a different dance will happen between Romo and the team. With a far lesser degree of ugliness and hard feelings between Romo and owner/G.M. Jerry Jones than existed eight years ago between Brett Favre and Packers G.M. Ted Thompson, the Cowboys may be willing to give Romo a parting gift consisting of the ability to pick his next team unfettered by a trade.

The biggest risk for the Cowboys is that Romo will land in Washington. Again, given the existence of a positive relationship between Romo and Jones, Romo will be far less motivated than Favre was to stick it to the team that no longer wanted him to be its starter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-request-and-get-a-release-in-the-offseason/

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
Makes sense to me that he would prefer to be released and I can see Jerry giving him the respect to grant those wishes as long as he agrees to stay out of the NFC East. (The last part i added because those are my selfish feelings about it lol)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure Tony would prefer to be completely free to go where he wants. Why wouldn't he be? Unless there's a competitive team out there who wants him but won't be willing to trade for him, it's irrelevant. Anybody who wants him will give up at least token compensation. And we can always do it for a future escalating pick if he wants to avoid depleting the new team's draft resources. A 2018 3rd rounder, that could become a 2nd rounder based on Tony's play and games missed, for example.

Though, I wouldn't be shocked to see Jerry just let him go outright if it came down to it. That shouldn't happen, though.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'm sorry but if they cut him so his next team doesn't have to give up resources then something is wrong.

So Romo has given up competing for the starting job next season. Sheez. Really Romo, finally you have competition at qb and you won't fight for the job.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I think a lot of GM's are going to have a hard time giving up anything for Romo knowing he's at the end of his career and is a HUGE injury risk. He knows if he's released he has a better chance of playing again because the team that signs him would take little risk with the possibility of more reward and wouldn't have to give up anything for him. Lets face it, he's not where Payton Manning was when the Broncos signed him. Romo hasn't played football in over two years.....

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
If that is what Tony wants, then I would have preferred that we didn't give him such a large contract that totally handicapped this franchise from improving our defense the last few years. Jerry and the Cowboys have made Tony a wealthy man, nothing wrong with trying to get some value back from him, imo. If he had got us to a super bowl I would feel more like letting him have his way in this....but 2 lone playoff wins in 10 seasons tell me that he owes us, we don't owe him.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If that is what Tony wants, then I would have preferred that we didn't give him such a large contract that totally handicapped this franchise from improving our defense the last few years. Jerry and the Cowboys have made Tony a wealthy man, nothing wrong with trying to get some value back from him, imo. If he had got us to a super bowl I would feel more like letting him have his way in this....but 2 lone playoff wins in 10 seasons tell me that he owes us, we don't owe him.

Just amazes me he won't fight for the starting job.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I think a lot of GM's are going to have a hard time giving up anything for Romo knowing he's at the end of his career and is a HUGE injury risk. He knows if he's released he has a better chance of playing again because the team that signs him would take little risk with the possibility of more reward and wouldn't have to give up anything for him. Lets face it, he's not where Payton Manning was when the Broncos signed him. Romo hasn't played football in over two years.....

I know tony romo is old with injury concerns now but if the eagles could get that much for bradford I know we can alteast get a 3rd or 4th for romo. I think a 2nd rounder would do.

I mean sam bradford is a bum.

kramskoi

Reaction score
You give the man's job (due to injury) to a rookie, without letting him try to get it back. HTF is that fair? And where are all the armchair analysts proclaiming how unfair it was for that to happen to Romo? He's expendable now...and his prior injuries are being used to rationalize that mindset. I personally think that Romo just might be owed something after this fiasco. Denied the chance to work with the best team he has ever been a part of...yeah, some might look at that as being given a raw deal. Rationally, it seems like the best move looking to the future...but it still doesn't make the deal any more palatable.

I will say this though, Montana had a severe back injury requiring spinal disc surgery (doctors thought he should retire at the time) in 1986, but returned to pilot 2 more Superbowl wins for the 49ers in the '88 and '89 seasons. Montana also led the 49ers to 14-2 and the title game in 1990. Romo has been trying to come back from these injuries too soon in order to save what's left of seasons. After sufficient rest, it could happen that he stays healthy enough to win a championship elsewhere in the league.

Last edited: