News: ST: Sean Lee's six-year extension has him under contract through 2019

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I like how you said that we are one player away and then go on to name 3 areas where we need help.

RG
DE
DT (maybe even 2)
S (maybe even 2)

With that money we could have signed any free agent guard save Levtire or a top safety, minus perhaps Goldson

We could have signed Elvis Dumervil

We could have signed any dt on the market this year.

And would have to pay Mike Wallace 12m/yr to replace Dez

I was talking about continuing to draft well, in particular those positions. They can be filled with draft picks and not high priced FAs. If you take Dez off the team, we have a gigantic hole at WR1, that would be the one emergency situation. Trading Dez because we have to pay him big money in a few years is doing it wrong when you only have about 4-5 years left for your franchise QB. It is not the time for a rebuild. And you do know that we are still 7-9m UNDER the salary cap, which can be rolled over to next year.

No thanks, I'll keep Bryant.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Trading Dez is a silly topic in the first place. Why trade a known for an unknown? Or 5 unknowns? If Dez were to be traded that would mean that Garrett's task of assembling a team that can compete just lost one of the strongest links in the team chain.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Trading Dez is a silly topic in the first place. Why trade a known for an unknown? Or 5 unknowns? If Dez were to be traded that would mean that Garrett's task of assembling a team that can compete just lost one of the strongest links in the team chain.

Im not against trading Dez for a kings ransom.

I'd like to keep him but if some team wanted to give us a couple of 1st rounders and a few other picks I would do it.

That would give us 4 first rounders plus dodging his giant salary that could cripple other positions.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score

I'd like to keep him but if some team wanted to give us a couple of 1st rounders and a few other picks I would do it.

That would give us 4 first rounders plus dodging his giant salary that could cripple other positions.

Yes, let's trade Dez for picks so we can spend them chasing someone half as talented. Give me a break.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Wow Jerry will not trade his cash cow in Dez Bryant. That is just a silly topic. Drafted him when everyone said it was gamble supported him when every thought it was time to cut bait. Jerry isn't going to trade his prize. Not a chance. Dez is a level headed dude and I believe he will sign a contract that won't strap the team. You know why? Dez wants to win and he loves his Cowboys. Look at what he did with Jordon signing for free. Come on Dez is a cowboy and will probably be a Cowboys for life. He's one of those once in a generation player you don't trade those guys.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

How much do you think 4 first rounders and a few other picks would cost? Also, there is a possibility that none of the first rounders could produce like Dez does.

What is that saying? A bird in the hand is better that two in the bush.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
How much do you think 4 first rounders and a few other picks would cost? Also, there is a possibility that none of the first rounders could produce like Dez does.

What is that saying? A bird in the hand is better that two in the bush.

I find myself agreeing with you.
That and Dez is hugely popular concerning jersey sales et al. The backlash would be brutal.
Very small chance he's traded.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I find myself agreeing with you.
That and Dez is hugely popular concerning jersey sales et al. The backlash would be brutal.
Very small chance he's traded.

It' just a silly notion to even bring that up in the first place. You don't get many chances to get a once in a lifetime player of his caliber.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It' just a silly notion to even bring that up in the first place. You don't get many chances to get a once in a lifetime player of his caliber.

Да, мой друг. Я согласен с вами.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
And would have to pay Mike Wallace 12m/yr to replace Dez

I was talking about continuing to draft well, in particular those positions. They can be filled with draft picks and not high priced FAs. If you take Dez off the team, we have a gigantic hole at WR1, that would be the one emergency situation. Trading Dez because we have to pay him big money in a few years is doing it wrong when you only have about 4-5 years left for your franchise QB. It is not the time for a rebuild. And you do know that we are still 7-9m UNDER the salary cap, which can be rolled over to next year.

No thanks, I'll keep Bryant.

You don't need a high paid receiver to win in the NFL. Teams have shown that time and time again. The position doesn't have enough influence to warrant an extremely large percent of the salary cap.

Also if you noticed, I'm not just referring to this year. The salary cap is going to be tight, especially in the year Dez is scheduled to become a free agent.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You don't need a high paid receiver to win in the NFL. Teams have shown that time and time again. The position doesn't have enough influence to warrant an extremely large percent of the salary cap.

Also if you noticed, I'm not just referring to this year. The salary cap is going to be tight, especially in the year Dez is scheduled to become a free agent.

Beast, you are neither wrong or right about your stance...and I agree with what you are saying. And your ideas are right...
But all that stuff money we don't need to worry about that. But when you find a player that will work for free.

Straight up.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Dez is insane. The Cowboys nurtured him and supported him. He should cut us a deal and we should pay this man what ever he wants.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

You don't really have an argument.

If the position around the league is viewed as irrelevant....why exactly is WR amongst the highest paid positions in the entire league? Good and Bad GMs alike spend a tremendous amount of resources at the position. Why?

Answer that question. Why?

Then explain the Jerry Rices the Marvin Harrisons the Reggie Waynes the Larry Fitzgeralds the Randy Mosses the Greg Jennings that have all led teams to superbowls.

You have a task.

1) Answer that question.
2) Explain away all those teams that have reached the superbowl with well paid WRs who were amongst the best players at their position.

perrykemp

Reaction score
You don't really have an argument.

If the position around the league is viewed as irrelevant....why exactly is WR amongst the highest paid positions in the entire league? Good and Bad GMs alike spend a tremendous amount of resources at the position. Why?

Answer that question. Why?

Then explain the Jerry Rices the Marvin Harrisons the Reggie Waynes the Larry Fitzgeralds the Randy Mosses the Greg Jennings that have all led teams to superbowls.

You have a task.

1) Answer that question.
2) Explain away all those teams that have reached the superbowl with well paid WRs who were amongst the best players at their position.

Name one top 5 WR receiver who played for any of the last 10 Superbowl winning teams.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Name one top 5 WR receiver who played for any of the last 10 Superbowl winning teams.

Note he continues to refer to players who either didn't win the super bowl in the era of free agency binds or even if they were paid well, didn't take up a huge percentage of their team's salary cap.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Why did they have to win? For instance Larry Fitzgerald...very much in the salary cap area was part of a Cardinals team that just came up short. Same with Randy Moss.

It's dumb to say a top 5 WR can't win the superbowl. You know why? Because you're artificially stacking the deck in your favor. By definition the most teams that fit that description every year is only 5 teams. Of course it's unlikely that one wins a SB. But is it because they have an elite player at one of the highest paid positions on the field?

Talk about small sample sizes.

Still waiting for someone to answer why GMs of all talent levels consistently make WRs as one of the highest paid positions in football.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Why did they have to win? For instance Larry Fitzgerald...very much in the salary cap area was part of a Cardinals team that just came up short. Same with Randy Moss.

It's dumb to say a top 5 WR can't win the superbowl. You know why? Because you're artificially stacking the deck in your favor. By definition the most teams that fit that description every year is only 5 teams. Of course it's unlikely that one wins a SB. But is it because they have an elite player at one of the highest paid positions on the field?

Talk about small sample sizes.

Still waiting for someone to answer why GMs of all talent levels consistently make WRs as one of the highest paid positions in football.

Toruk:

After I posted I thought about it a little and went back and looked and realized that in 2006 both Marvin Harrison AND Reggie Wayne finished in the top 5 for the superbowl winning Colts. So I was wrong there.

My point isn't that top 5 WRs are inherently bad -- they obviously are not. My point is the difference between the top 5 WRs in the league vs let's say WRs 6 - 20 isn't very great.

I just worry about the impact from the salary cap perspective from the $15m/year'ish contract Dez will deserve.

In general, it seems like the Cowboys have so few 'bargains'. Cowboys have great players and for the most part they are being paid like great players.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Toruk:

After I posted I thought about it a little and went back and looked and realized that in 2006 both Marvin Harrison AND Reggie Wayne finished in the top 5 for the superbowl winning Colts. So I was wrong there.

My point isn't that top 5 WRs are inherently bad -- they obviously are not. My point is the difference between the top 5 WRs in the league vs let's say WRs 6 - 20 isn't very great.

I just worry about the impact from the salary cap perspective from the $15m/year'ish contract Dez will deserve.

In general, it seems like the Cowboys have so few 'bargains'. Cowboys have great players and for the most part they are being paid like great players.

I get you. But having said all that...we have been drafting well the last 3 years. It's a good thing when you have to promote and pay from within and aren't a big free agency spender. Plus Dez won't ever hurt us from a cap perspective on his next contract unless he gets injured. It will be structured in a way to allow flexibility and as the numbers rise we will extend him on another monster 2nd contract. THAT one is the one to worry about.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Toruk:

You can always find other guys to cut or trade, that are actually overpaid. You are making too big of a deal about the salary cap and Dez' impact on it in 2016 or 2017.