News: ST: Stephen Jones on benchings: If we are going to be better than .500 we have to hold players

NewsBot

Reaction score
The Cowboys have already replaced three players in the starting line up and now appear to be set to replace a fourth.

The struggles of Claiborne and Carter are true disappointments because they were first and second round picks, respectively who were considered cornerstone players for the future.

“Obviously, we respect what the coaches feel like they need to do to get the most out our players,” Stephen Jones said. “We respect the decision they have made who is going to start. We do need to have accountability if we are going to be a better than we have done in the past. We don’t want to be a .500 team and to lose a game like we did (against the Chargers) drops us back to the level again. We want to get going in a better direction than we have historically done. We have to have accountability from top to bottom.”

Clarence Hill

Continue reading...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
WAAH! Was that positive news about the Cowboys? Let me quickly turn it into something negative. WAAH!

It would be positive news if we had quality backups. Either way it's about time that players will be held accountable.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Mo deserved it. Carter, I'm not sure about. Although he might have been eaten alive against Denver, I don't think he should have been out there on Woodhead.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be positive news if we had quality backups. Either way it's about time that players will be held accountable.

It's happening now precisely because we feel like we have options to back these players up. Garrett suggested as much in a press conference early this week. It's a good sign that we're doing it, but it's not the sort of thing you do if you don't have a Waters or a Wilcox or a Sims sitting there on the bench.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It's happening now precisely because we feel like we have options to back these players up. Garrett suggested as much in a press conference early this week. It's a good sign that we're doing it, but it's not the sort of thing you do if you don't have a Waters or a Wilcox or a Sims sitting there on the bench.

Pretty good point.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

I guess we'll see then. I haven't seen much of the Cowboys since the Giants game except on the Red Zone Channel but I know in years past, the quality of the backups have been awful. I hate the thought of benching Claiborne because the Cowboys gave up a lot for him. But if he's not doing the job then it has to be. I'll see how they perform when they play Denver.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Calm down, people. Jerry's not going to fire his own son. Leave it up to y'all to find the silver lining and rip it apart.:rolleyes:

mrmojo

Reaction score
So these are actually the Coaches decisions and not Jerry's decisions? Let's see how it works out on Sunday, if succesful this could be the first step in "neutering" Jerry, if it doesn't work it's going to be interesting how Jerry will react.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mo deserved it. Carter, I'm not sure about. Although he might have been eaten alive against Denver, I don't think he should have been out there on Woodhead.

You're going to have linebackers covering running backs no matter what scheme you run. You simply can't have a back 7 or 8 being all corners and safeties.

That being said I thought the coverage Carter had on the first TD given up was darned good.

The other errors– he just kind of looked lost. Linebacker, safety, corner... If they look lost it doesn't matter what position they play... They're going to look awful in coverage.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess we'll see then. I haven't seen much of the Cowboys since the Giants game except on the Red Zone Channel but I know in years past, the quality of the backups have been awful. I hate the thought of benching Claiborne because the Cowboys gave up a lot for him. But if he's not doing the job then it has to be. I'll see how they perform when they play Denver.

It was pretty interesting in the presser...I wish I could remember the context better. I think it was regarding Austin sitting, but he was talking in general about sitting players for either injury or performance reasons. He came out and said in past years it was not something they were always comfortable doing, but basically that it was nice to have it as an option. Not exactly earth-shattering, but it's more revealing of how the team's been thinking than Garrett usually is.

I think they're serious about playing the best guy. It's not a good thing that young players we're counting on aren't delivering, but it is probably a good thing that we've got options who can at least give us quality snaps and that we're willing to bring them off the bench. If I'm Sims, I'm not sure bringing me in to play against DEN this week is doing me all that much of a favor, though.

RS12

Reaction score
"As long as the checks dont bounce" mentality has prevailed for a decade and half. Gonna take more than lip service to get rid of it.