News: ST: Stephen Jones on benchings: If we are going to be better than .500 we have to hold players

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Actually me watching or not watching the game on TV has no effect on it whatsoever.

No, I don't watch the games in a typical fashion (ie tuning to FOX, CBS, ESPN, etc...).

But you go Girl, go on preaching like you know what you're talking about!

Sure it does it helps the ratings. I do know this that people would rather whine and complain than to get off their dead ars and so something. It is the easy way out do to complain do something because the whinning is just annoying and accomplishes nothing.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Mo deserved it. Carter, I'm not sure about. Although he might have been eaten alive against Denver, I don't think he should have been out there on Woodhead.

I agree 100%, I think it was a bad game-plan to have him on woodhead but Carter is a very good player.

Plankton

Reaction score
Be it you or anyone else. If people want to hold Jerry accoutable then there is a way to do it, people choose not to or at least many of them. I think this team has some good talent on it so Jerry did their jobs, it is up to the coaches to get the most out of these players if they fail then they will be held accountable.

Personally, I have not bought an official Cowboys licensed product in five years.

I would have some level of disagreement with you that the front office has done their jobs properly with personnel, but that is another argument.

And note, not a whine or complain in any of this. Just stating how I see things.

Doomsay

Reaction score
If you want front office held accountable don't go to the games, do not watch the game and do not buy any of their produces. Coaches hold players accountable, front office holds coaches accountable and fans hold front office accountable. So do your part.

That's all fair except for the watching on TV part. You'd have to stop watching any televised football games since the revenues are shared.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally, I have not bought an official Cowboys licensed product in five years.

I would have some level of disagreement with you that the front office has done their jobs properly with personnel, but that is another argument.

And note, not a whine or complain in any of this. Just stating how I see things.

Fair enough. Getting back to topic I think coaches holding the players accountable and Jones not interfering with the coaches decision is a good thing. I think coaches will give Claiborne and Carter every opportunity they can to win their starting roles it really comes down to both of them stepping up and showing it much like Doug Free has done.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's all fair except for the watching on TV part. You'd have to stop watching any televised football games since the revenues are shared.

I agree but I would also say rating are giving for each games plays and rating is what makes the network want teams in their prime time lineup or not.

Plankton

Reaction score
Fair enough. Getting back to topic I think coaches holding the players accountable and Jones not interfering with the coaches decision is a good thing. I think coaches will give Claiborne and Carter every opportunity they can to win their starting roles it really comes down to both of them stepping up and showing it much like Doug Free has done.

I agree - I have no problems with the benchings. It's how a team should be run - meritocracy as opposed to entitlement.

I just have a problem when one of the Joneses speak about accountability when they don't hold themselves to the same standard.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree - I have no problems with the benchings. It's how a team should be run - meritocracy as opposed to entitlement.

I just have a problem when one of the Joneses speak about accountability when they don't hold themselves to the same standard.

I guess i don't it is after all their ball club which is why I said if fans are that opposed to them then don't feed them. People have been complaing for a good while and tell me what good has that done what has that changed? To me it is a waste of air do something if you don't like it. Really that easy

Doomsay

Reaction score
I agree but I would also say rating are giving for each games plays and rating is what makes the network want teams in their prime time lineup or not.

I agree, but if you stop watching Cowboys games because you are PO'd at Jerry or whatever, and decide to watch the Texans, the benefit to the Jones' would be the same since all teams share the TV revenue stream.

visionary

Reaction score

agree with you
accountability from coaches and noninterference from the joneses is a very good thing for this team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree, but if you stop watching Cowboys games because you are PO'd at Jerry or whatever, and decide to watch the Texans, the benefit to the Jones' would be the same since all teams share the TV revenue stream.

To extent sure but again when teams are sledom shown in prime time matchups it takes it toll on th bottom line.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So.... Stephen is working on his soapbox routine.

Great, little Jerrah in training.

Shouldn't Garrett be quoted on these things.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
The problem is you are benching young players that need the playing time. They are the future of the team. Not Ernie Sims. Carter is a really good player. I blame the poor scheme not his play. Mo was coming off injury. He needs time to play at a high level. Will Allen was terrible and was never a long term solution. Wilcox hasn’t exactly done much either.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You're going to have linebackers covering running backs no matter what scheme you run. You simply can't have a back 7 or 8 being all corners and safeties.

That being said I thought the coverage Carter had on the first TD given up was darned good.

The other errors– he just kind of looked lost. Linebacker, safety, corner... If they look lost it doesn't matter what position they play... They're going to look awful in coverage.

Exactly. That's his job. It's not like Woodhead is Reggie Bush.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
He has done very well thus far. Got robbed of a pick his first game.

The only reason the ball was throw to him was because Hatcher hit the QB in the head while he was throwing the ball. Not sure how that is being robbed.
He has done very well thus far. Got robbed of a pick his first game.

Wilcox has been ok i guess. They have him back 20 yards away from the action.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Be it you or anyone else. If people want to hold Jerry accoutable then there is a way to do it, people choose not to or at least many of them. I think this team has some good talent on it so Jerry did their jobs, it is up to the coaches to get the most out of these players if they fail then they will be held accountable.
Shame the laughing smilies are gone. Some good talent? Is there an NFL team that doesn't have "some good talent"? Even the 2 teams in that snoozefest last night have "some good talent".

So Jones got a few players (and very few since Parcells left), so that puts it on the coaches? Ridiculous assertion. Who hired those coaches? Who ultimately selected the coaches staff, determined who calls plays, etc? If the coaches keep failing, it's a failure of the front office. If the players aren't talented enough, it's a failure of the front office.

Garrett may or may not be able to coach (I believe the evidence is overwhelming that he cannot), but the person - or persons if you count Stephen Jones - most responsible for this mess keep pointing the crooked finger of blame at everyone else instead of where it most certainly should be directed. Giving the Jones anything resembling a pass is downright moronic.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Shame the laughing smilies are gone. Some good talent? Is there an NFL team that doesn't have "some good talent"? Even the 2 teams in that snoozefest last night have "some good talent".

So Jones got a few players (and very few since Parcells left), so that puts it on the coaches? Ridiculous assertion. Who hired those coaches? Who ultimately selected the coaches staff, determined who calls plays, etc? If the coaches keep failing, it's a failure of the front office. If the players aren't talented enough, it's a failure of the front office.

Garrett may or may not be able to coach (I believe the evidence is overwhelming that he cannot), but the person - or persons if you count Stephen Jones - most responsible for this mess keep pointing the crooked finger of blame at everyone else instead of where it most certainly should be directed. Giving the Jones anything resembling a pass is downright moronic.

What is down right moronic is to continue to watch and support what you hate.

I agree they hired Garrett and if he fails that is on him and that is on Jones. As he entered 3rd full season as HC I too think it is time for Garrett to win or else find a HC to turn things around.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Who is the 4th? I know of Claiborne, Carter and Allen. Are they referring to Bernadeau?