News: ST: Stephen Jones on benchings: If we are going to be better than .500 we have to hold players

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I think they're serious about playing the best guy. It's not a good thing that young players we're counting on aren't delivering, but it is probably a good thing that we've got options who can at least give us quality snaps and that we're willing to bring them off the bench. If I'm Sims, I'm not sure bringing me in to play against DEN this week is doing me all that much of a favor, though.

It's doing him a massive favor, he could win the starting job going forward and make more money. I get where you are coming from though, thinking Manning will make Sims look silly. If the opposite happens, he will win the starting gig though. High Risk/Reward.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think one thing this shows is the coaches are making the call. Claiborne and Carter are not starting based on where they were drafted as has been the accusations of the past. I'm sure both players will have the oppertunity to retake their starting role.

sbark

Reaction score
Mo is a product of the over-hype of a high 1st round pick...needs the attitude adjustment. Carter is more a casualty of the DLine not performing against a 2nd string Chargers OLine. Once the Chargers hit on the 1st tD to Woodhead over Carter, you just knew they'd come back to it, common sense on the other side.
This defense is predicated on QB pressure.....it didn't happen most of the game against a 2nd string OLIne.. Why not be looking at what is the root cause of them not being able to shoot gaps and penetrate, which then allowed the Chargers time to get Woodhead out, in a 25 yd endzone pattern in the 1st place.

Plankton

Reaction score
If you want front office held accountable don't go to the games, do not watch the game and do not buy any of their produces. Coaches hold players accountable, front office holds coaches accountable and fans hold front office accountable. So do your part.

Typically, ownership holds the front office accountable.

It just doesn't happen in Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Typically, ownership holds the front office accountable.

It just doesn't happen in Dallas.

It still does, bottom line if you don't like what they do then don't watch them, don't buy the product if you do then you contribute to what you don't want. 2 birds 1 stone. However it is easier to complain than to actually do something about it.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Thanks for accountability at the bottom... Now show it at the top for once, where it's most needed.

Plankton

Reaction score
It still does, bottom line if you don't like what they do then don't watch them, don't buy the product if you do then you contribute to what you don't want. 2 birds 1 stone. However it is easier to complain than to actually do something about it.

I don't see where I was complaining - I was merely stating a fact as to how the Cowboys operate.

Accountability is a lot easier to talk about than it is to practice, I guess.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't see where I was complaining - I was merely stating a fact as to how the Cowboys operate.

Accountability is a lot easier to talk about than it is to practice, I guess.

Be it you or anyone else. If people want to hold Jerry accoutable then there is a way to do it, people choose not to or at least many of them. I think this team has some good talent on it so Jerry did their jobs, it is up to the coaches to get the most out of these players if they fail then they will be held accountable.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
This thread went exactly how I thought it would.

Actually, not the beginning of the thread. That was weird.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's doing him a massive favor, he could win the starting job going forward and make more money. I get where you are coming from though, thinking Manning will make Sims look silly. If the opposite happens, he will win the starting gig though. High Risk/Reward.

It is. I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. The good news, Sims, is that you're starting. The bad news is, it's against Peyton Manning.

Plus, if he takes advantage of the opportunity, he'll get more money to buy more animals for his zoo.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
It is. I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. The good news, Sims, is that you're starting. The bad news is, it's against Peyton Manning.

Plus, if he takes advantage of the opportunity, he'll get more money to buy more animals for his zoo.

Thing is, he is in a win win situation if you ask me. If Peyton burns him.. well, it's Peyton and that is to be expected. If Sims shows up big and doesn't get burned its, wow.. did you see awesome Sims played? I personally like Sims and think he plays with a ton of heart out there. Carter has a higher ceiling but I'm happy about the benching. These players need to learn that if they go out there and screw the whole team, that they could lose their starting role. I love this new attitude of the Cowboys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you want front office held accountable don't go to the games, do not watch the game and do not buy any of their produces. Coaches hold players accountable, front office holds coaches accountable and fans hold front office accountable. So do your part.

EXACTLY lol. How can the front office hold themselves accountable? By firing themselves? LOL. If you want to hold them accountable quit buying merchandise and tickets to games. Quit tuning in. But people don't want to do that. They'd rather complain and watch. Watch the product and then come on Cowboyszone and complain about the product. I know I personallly don't put money into products i'm not satisfied with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thing is, he is in a win win situation if you ask me. If Peyton burns him.. well, it's Peyton and that is to be expected. If Sims shows up big and doesn't get burned its, wow.. did you see awesome Sims played? I personally like Sims and think he plays with a ton of heart out there. Carter has a higher ceiling but I'm happy about the benching. These players need to learn that if they go out there and screw the whole team, that they could lose their starting role. I love this new attitude of the Cowboys.

I like the sitting of players, too. I made the point last season, even if you don't think you have the horses for an actual benching, pull the players for a series or even a few plays to think about it when they do something particularly dumb. If you've got the depth, demote them and make them win their snaps back.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I like the sitting of players, too. I made the point last season, even if you don't think you have the horses for an actual benching, pull the players for a series or even a few plays to think about it when they do something particularly dumb. If you've got the depth, demote them and make them win their snaps back.

Yes, I love that line of thinking too.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score

Actually me watching or not watching the game on TV has no effect on it whatsoever.

No, I don't watch the games in a typical fashion (ie tuning to FOX, CBS, ESPN, etc...).

But you go Girl, go on preaching like you know what you're talking about!

links18

Reaction score
Several different issues here: Someone having the authority to bench under performing players: Positive. The fact that we have several under performing players: Not Positive. The fact that the poster boy for lack of accountability is preaching about accountability: All too Typical.