News: ST: Why the Cowboys believe new QB coach Kellen Moore is a future coaching star

LittleD

Reaction score
Kellen Moore is not, nor has he ever been, an NFL QB. Based on his limited QB play in
the league, I can't see how he would advance the career of any other potential QB. This
is just the Cowboy's FO placating Linehan until all the coaches are beheaded next
off season.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
This “inner circle” club stuff regardless of qualifications is insane to me. If you want to add him to the staff,fine, let him be an assistant to a position coach. But to just come in and be a QB coach seems a little ridiculous to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“We’ve spent a lot of time with him and he’s got a lot of qualities of the guy that’s the head coach of this team right now.”

You mean the guy that no other team in the league would employ as their head coach? OK.

Jones is referring to coach Jason Garrett, who began his career in similar fashion. Garrett had no layoff from his playing career to becoming the Miami Dolphins’ quarterbacks coach in 2005-06.

Who also has never accomplished a thing in this league and never earned a single one of his coaching positions? So this is a pattern that this team wishes to repeat?

“He didn’t have all the skills and all the talent coming out, but he was able to make a place for himself in our league,” Jones said. “He obviously has a tremendous football IQ and mind.”

Yeah, he "made a place" alright. As a Scott Linehan project that never panned out. What a legacy!

Moore, 28, ends his playing career appearing in just three games -- all with the Cowboys at the end of the 2015 season. He went 0-2 in his two starts, going 61-of-104 passing for 779 yards with four touchdowns and six interceptions.

Get that gold jacket ready now! Now I see how we couldn't possibly let this guy get away.

This is just about the worst attempt at an endorsement article as I have ever seen. And when it comes to the Cowboys and the Joneses, that's quite a feat!

:lmao::facepalm::lmao:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott has raved about the input and advice Moore has given him early on in his career. It’ll be a natural transition for Prescott and Moore as both are familiar with each other from Day 1.

Plus, the Cowboys like the idea of having familiar voices in Prescott’s ear going into Year 3. Garrett, Linehan and Moore have all been around since Prescott joined the organization as a 2016 fourth-round pick.
That's really all you need to know. This is going to happen no matter what the fans think.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This “inner circle” club stuff regardless of qualifications is insane to me. If you want to add him to the staff,fine, let him be an assistant to a position coach. But to just come in and be a QB coach seems a little ridiculous to me.

It's not at all how things work in the NFL. People learn how to be coaches. They go the assistant route to do so. Oftentimes for several years. Then they become actual coaches. It's galling that this team still doesn't realize that going that route repeatedly with Garrett has proven to be a colossal mistake and apparently are so clueless that they're choosing for history to repeat itself.

Learning nothing. Much the same way that nothing will change regarding Tyron Smith, but they'll simply expect different results. Sure.

And nothing will change with Dez Bryant either. They'll just expect different results.

And nothing will change with the offense. One that set franchise records for futility. They'll just expect different results.

A certain quote springs to mind.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean this is utterly predictable.

They quickly announce his hiring knowing that it will be met with heavy skepticism and then the Jones go on a full blown media assault talking about how great he is going to be.

Blah, blah, blah.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is typical for organizations to promote from within - a supervisor from one department moving to a management position in another department within the same company.

It is less typical (and, generally, not desirable) to promote from within the same department. To go from being a peer to the team leader is asking a lot from both the team and the new team leader.

I don't have to know or understand Moore's qualifications to suggest this is not a good move.

I get that the FO and perhaps Dak, as well, is comfortable with the move. I just can't help but feel that they are greatly overpaying their hand. Should "comfort" be the defining criteria for coaching selection - and in case you miss my meaning, this is a rhetorical question

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean this is utterly predictable.

They quickly announce his hiring knowing that it will be met with heavy skepticism and then the Jones go on a full blown media assault talking about how great he is going to be.

Blah, blah, blah.

Lies can only be effective if someone actually believes them.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
It is typical for organizations to promote from within - a supervisor from one department moving to a management position in another department within the same company.

It is less typical (and, generally, not desirable) to promote from within the same department. To go from being a peer to the team leader is asking a lot from both the team and the new team leader.

I don't have to know or understand Moore's qualifications to suggest this is not a good move.

I get that the FO and perhaps Dak, as well, is comfortable with the move. I just can't help but feel that they are greatly overpaying their hand. Should "comfort" be the defining criteria for coaching selection - and in case you miss my meaning, this is a rhetorical question

I've had it happen twice in my career. Both times it was because the fit was great regardless of the dynamics.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've had it happen twice in my career. Both times it was because the fit was great regardless of the dynamics.
Likewise, I have experienced this as well. Where it worked well, the peer that was promoted was systematically developed for the position. It failed where the internal moved was made as a matter of convenience.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its hard to believe any thing the jones say about the coaches or the players when u really don't know what u are doing in the first place. He believes in garrett and you can see how that has worked out

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its hard to believe any thing the jones say about the coaches or the players when u really don't know what u are doing in the first place. He believes in garrett and you can see how that has worked out

Exactly. The comparison is an indictment, not a compliment.

The fact that this eludes the Jones boys is hysterical!
:lmao: