News: ST: Why the Cowboys believe new QB coach Kellen Moore is a future coaching star

JBond

Reaction score
The Cowboys have hired a vet OL, DB, WR coach... so thus far it looks like for every 1 Kellen Moore they are hiring 3 proven vets.
Not sure what your point is. Are you saying it is ok to screw up the QB coach hire because some other hires were better? We needed to go 4 for 4. I'm a little worried about Dak and wanted a strong accomplished QB coach to help Dak grow. I did not want the guy that couldn't beat him out for a job.

DanA

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. Are you saying it is ok to screw up the QB coach hire because some other hires were better? We needed to go 4 for 4. I'm a little worried about Dak and wanted a strong accomplished QB coach to help Dak grow. I did not want the guy that couldn't beat him out for a job.

In fairness, I think Kellen Moore has pretty much had a 12-month+ trial run as QB coach. He was helping Dak while Romo was injured and then again once Cooper Rush started coming through. They'd have to have a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table. Not to mention the fact that Garrett was a QB himself.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Patriots do this guys. They keep it in house and promote from within...ie Matt Patricia and McDaniels etc...So I think they want to try to follow that template. Plus Stevie Jones is trying not to overspend for a QB Guru...which almost always NEVER WORKS. So this might be smart...This is not a JJ move to be clear. He hasn't been making personell decisions for several years. Its been Stevie and MCclay. Lets give it a chance.

diefree666

Reaction score
The Patriots do this guys. They keep it in house and promote from within...ie Matt Patricia and McDaniels etc...So I think they want to try to follow that template. Plus Stevie Jones is trying not to overspend for a QB Guru...which almost always NEVER WORKS. So this might be smart...This is not a JJ move to be clear. He hasn't been making personell decisions for several years. Its been Stevie and MCclay. Lets give it a chance.
good lord you are gullible if you believe Jerry is still not making the final calls on all decisions

Rayman70

Reaction score
good lord you are gullible if you believe Jerry is still not making the final calls on all decisions
If he was we would be dealing with Johnny Manziel right now. Jerry is nothing more than a mouthpiece...and a spokesmen. Its an illusion many fans on here have. Yes Jerry makes some comments and at times thinks he is a football guy,but he isnt the end all be all with personell decisions. He has say so only because he owns the team and writes the checks...but the final word is on Stevie and McClay. We would be in the dumpster every year if JJ was pulling all the strings...TRUST ME.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry defers MUCH of the decision making to Stevie boy. MCclay is SJ right hand man in all this or MCclay would have walked already.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm wondering what fans think is standard for QB coaches.

Do they think there are a lot of former NFL star QBs holding those positions around the NFL? The reality is there isn't one, and off the top of my head I can't remember when there has been one. Only a couple ever even made it to the NFL as a player at all, and some never even played the position in college - the Texans QB coach was a LB and DB, and others were WR's or played other offensive positions.

Do they think every NFL QB coach somehow always had experience as a QB coach? That they somehow were never a first time QB coach? How does that work? Every QB coach was a newby to the job the 1st time he got a gig.

The only argument against Moore is lack of a coaching background in some form - and I'll grant that is a reasonable point to discuss. Neverthless, it's not as if the guy has no concept of the position or the interaction between a coach and player or what a good QB coach can do to help the QB prepare for a game. He's lived that relationship as a player for probably 20 years or more. In addition, he grew up in a coaching family and is widely regarded as a tireless student of the game. Plus, a fair part of his role in the NFL as a backup was to help the starting QB, and both Romo and Prescott have praised Moore for his ability to do that.

Bottom line is, yes, there is some concern about lack of coaching experience, but there are other factors that lend themselves to the idea that the lack of coaching experience is not an insurmountable thing.

diefree666

Reaction score
If he was we would be dealing with Johnny Manziel right now. Jerry is nothing more than a mouthpiece...and a spokesmen. Its an illusion many fans on here have. Yes Jerry makes some comments and at times thinks he is a football guy,but he isnt the end all be all with personell decisions. He has say so only because he owns the team and writes the checks...but the final word is on Stevie and McClay. We would be in the dumpster every year if JJ was pulling all the strings...TRUST ME.
your eyes have to be brown you are so full of it

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jerry defers MUCH of the decision making to Stevie boy. MCclay is SJ right hand man in all this or MCclay would have walked already.
They are over talent acquisition and retention respectively.

I don't see anything that suggests Stephen Jones or especially McClay have much to do with the hiring of coaches.

Rayman70

Reaction score
They are over talent acquisition and retention respectively.

I don't see anything that suggests Stephen Jones or especially McClay have much to do with the hiring of coaches.
I think JJ isnt quite as involved as one might believe. I think those powers have been deferred over to others like Stephen and Charlotte. I think they just let Jerry "THINK" he's giving solid input. Final decisions are Stephens to make and on rare occasion JJ jumps in. See the Manziel ordeal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree Al, I don't know that there is anything out there that specifically says Stephen or McClay have input on Coaching hires. I, personally, believe that they probably do have some but there is no proof, that I know of, that confirms that. I suspect they get there say, just like anybody else Jerry trusts for input on such things. However, I'd guess that the Coordinators and the respective position coaches probably have more input, then say McClay would. Stephen, I absolutely believe that he has input and is involved with the decision making, in all facets of the team. I believe that Jerry, Stephen and Garrett make up the triumvirate that are responsible for Football decisions.

JMO

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So Moore has little coaching experience, and that means he shouldn't have been hired as the quarterbacks coach, according to many here.

Well, let's see - Wade Wilson was in the league as a starting or backup quarterback for 18 years, played in 125 games. So that should mean he would be a resounding success as the Cowboys' quarterback coach, right?

Well I don't know about anybody else, but I see little evidence he was that great of a quarterback coach, Romo was really only good his last couple of years, he threw double digit interceptions all but one of his first 8 years, and in that year he had 7 in six games, so he was on pace to throw 18 or so if he'd played all 16 games. Wasn't until Murray and his 1,845 yards rushing came along that the ints fell to less than 10.

Moore did not have the physical tools to be a great NFL quarterback, but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand the game. The quarterback coach doesn't get on the field in games, he has to be able to help from the sidelines or the booth, that may take different skills.

As with any player or coach, I'll give him a chance, to dis him out of hand because he doesn't have NFL coaching experience is short-sighted at best.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't the Patriots! The Patriots idea of continuity is continuing their winning ways. For the Cowboys, this "continuity" is continuing to be mediocre. I would prefer they strive to be better than continuity of mediocrity.............

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In reality, most QB coaches are only as important or meaningful as the power they are given by the HC or OC. In Garrett’s coaching arena, the QB Coach is not given a ton of responsibility, so regardless of what we think of the zero experience Moore has, he’s probably not destined to have a big impact.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys aren't the Patriots! The Patriots idea of continuity is continuing their winning ways. For the Cowboys, this "continuity" is continuing to be mediocre. I would prefer they strive to be better than continuity of mediocrity.............

Okay, let's look at the Patriots. They hired McDaniel as QB coach in 2004 at age 28 after only 2 years coaching - as a defensive assistant. His experience at QB was in high school - he was a WR in college, and never played pro ball.

Now lets look at Moore. He not only played QB in high school, but was one of the most successful college QBs of all time, and though he played very little in the pros, he still hung around for 6 years, during which time he was broadly praised for his understanding of the game and his ability to help the starting QB prepare for the game, and during the game.

So, what is it McDaniel had over Moore ..... 2 years as an assistant defensive coach. That's it. On the other hand. Moore is older than McDaniel was, played the position at the highest levels, and lived the QB/coach relationship for 20+ years.

Now, explain how hiring McDaniel as QB coach in 2004 was such a notably better/smarter move than hiring Moore today.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least JG could throw the ball.

Quick, tell us how many QB coaches in the NFL could throw the ball better than Moore? How many were even top D-I QB's, much less pro QBs. How far did Belichick go as a player? Or any of the top coaches in the NFL today?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Quick, tell us how many QB coaches in the NFL could throw the ball better than Moore? How many were even top D-I QB's, much less pro QBs. How far did Belichick go as a player? Or any of the top coaches in the NFL today?
All of them?
I was being sarcastic, but I'm willing to bet a freezer full of bacon there are others. A noodle arm is a noodle arm.