News: ST: Why the Cowboys believe new QB coach Kellen Moore is a future coaching star

GenoT

Reaction score
They are wheeling out the "continuity" flags from almost a decade ago, "believe" will follow in short order.

Lol!

There’s nothing wrong with an organization striving for continuity, but that’s only if they’re “continuing” a winning formula.

Continuity is counterproductive if it allows mediocrity to continue simply for familiarity’s sake.

We’ll see.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it. Is he Jason’s heir apparent or what.
Most likely he follows Linehan wherever he goes.
Wouldn't shock me after a good season next year Linehan got a head gig and Moore went to be his OC. Granted Linehan would probably call plays.

Moore was pretty bad a QB but I have a feeling he is going to be a coaching star in the not too distant future.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
As a football fan its hard for to understand this hire. The Cowboys believe that they found their franchise quarterback in the fourth round and they won't invest in an experienced qb coach to get this kid to the next level? As an Eagle fan it just makes me smile.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My biggest concern is the relationship between Moore and Dak. it didn't appear that Moore was much help to Dak prepairing for games or looking at the plays during games like sanchez was doing. But now Moore must take that role. Moore has a much better understanding of the offense but can he teach it to someone he was competing with for a job?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest concern is the relationship between Moore and Dak. it didn't appear that Moore was much help to Dak prepairing for games or looking at the plays during games like sanchez was doing. But now Moore must take that role. Moore has a much better understanding of the offense but can he teach it to someone he was competing with for a job?

If that's really your biggest concern, here's what Dak had to say about Moore in 2016...

"[He's] a genius behind the scenes, who doesn't get enough credit for what he does helping me out and helping this offense out. ... He's an offensive coordinator in his own mind. He's simply a genius when it comes to helping Coach Linehan out and early in the week giving looks, helping me out with things the defense does, maybe little keys here and there to tip me off or coverages or blitzes."
So, pretty positive.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
IF he gets the proper seasoning and experience then I could see him being a great HC in 10+ years. But he needs to get that experience...even Sean McVay spent 5 years as a TE coach before he became an OC.

If he is on the Garrett Track and inherits the OC job in 2 years without much coaching experience then that will be a disaster here.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Where's Sanchez? Is he still playing? I'd rather have him as QB coach. I think Dak said he helped him a lot last year.
I was thinking the same thing. He was the Bears 3rd string QB this past season. I saw a story about how much Sanchez helped Trubisky this year, and I remember Dak talking about how much he helped him last year. I believe Sanchez will be coaching soon, he seems to be pretty good at it.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the jones say lots of things most of them don't turn out like they say so I don't put a lot of fan in what they say

cern

Reaction score
I liked moore. unfortunately, he just lacked the physical attributes to be a good nfl qb. will he be a good coach? quien sabe. certainly willing to give him time to prove he can be. but at least he's young and might actually have some input into the offensive scheme which is sorely lacking.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But yet interview Colombo for the TE coach position.
Colombo has been on staff here for a few years and got an interview, not even hired yet.
But even if he is, he isn't some greenhorn with no experience. It'd be a pretty simple asst OL coach to TE coach promotion.

Dallas hired an OL coach with 20+ years experience and a DB coach who was a DC last year in Seattle.

If they hire Ray Horton he was actually a head coach not long ago.

I really can't take issue with any of their hires.
People are merely complaining about hires because they are mad about who they didn't fire.

End of day none of us can control Jerry Jones so no sense being miserable about this stuff. Especially the stuff that may turn out great.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think in time, he'll be a great coach. Dak doesn't need someone getting on the job training, however. He needs someone with a proven track record.