News: ST: Why the Cowboys believe new QB coach Kellen Moore is a future coaching star

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Your point is irrelevant because there is no historical link between being a high quality NFL player and being a high quality NFL coach. As I've said before, if being a high quality NFL player were a requirement to be a high quality NFL coach, there would be almost no high quality coaches in the NFL at all........

I don't think it's at all irrelevant. First, your lack of the "historical link" statement is a fair point, but it's not the only point.
While lack of previous NFL success as a player does not disqualify Moore as a coaching prospect, neither does it qualify him.
In addition to that, I have to wonder what Dak's confidence level will be with a brand new totally inexperienced coach that he already beat out on the field.
That may prove to be a factor or it may not, but Dak's going to have to answer that question himself.

One other important consideration is I believe Dak needs help and guidance and he needs it NOW, but he's not going to get it from Jerry's latest experiment. The kid has absolutely no coaching experience and it's going to take him time to grow.
IMO that leaves Dak hanging by a thread, and leaves me feeling skeptical.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
.......Josh McDaniels started as QB coach in New England at 28 years old and after 2 years of being a defensive assistant coach, and he never played in the NFL and hadn't played QB since high school.

At least McDaniels had a little asst. coaching experience, that's 2 years more than Moore.
Not only that, McDaniels became QB coach in 2004, 1 year AFTER Tom Brady won a Super Bowl in 2003, so McDaniels didn't get turned lose with a young undeveloped QB with problems to fix, the way Jerry is doing to Dak with Moore.
But then the Pats are smarter than Jerry Jones.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I criticized Moore’s hiring due to inexperience just like many have and you responded with this comment.

It doesn't matter what you said because you quoted my response to somebody else (Buzzbait), and your comment was a response to what I said to Buzzbait, not you. You jumped into our line of discussion, therefor it wasn't about what you said in another post.

[QUOTE="KJJ,post; 7881530, member: 24819"} As for McDaniels, one year as a graduate assistant along with the two years as a Pats assistant is more experience than Moore has. Belichick is the one who made the decision to bring aboard McDaniels. He clearly made the right decision. I trust Belichick’s judgment a lot better than I do Jerry’s. Jerry is talking up Moore like he did Garrett years ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s going to attempt to groom Moore as a future Cowboys HC much like he did Garrett. lol Jerry knows a good puppet when he sees one.[/QUOTE]

An unpaid graduate assistant in charge of nothing, and a Pat's DEFENSIVE assistant, and yes, It's more coaching experience, but it's MILES behind the Moore in quarterback experience, or experience with a QB coach and QB coach relationship. By your logic a guy who's only coaching experience is to handle kickers and punters would be better prepared to coach QBs than Payton Manning.

As for the Belichick comment, yes, he did make the right choice, which is exactly the point - that limited experience doesn't automatically mean a choice is bad. Belichick didn't have the benefit of hindsight in 2004 that you have in 2018, he just knew he had a guy with only high school QB experience as a player, and no offensive coaching experience, and he gave him the QB coaching job anyway. Sure Belichick has a better track record than Garrett, but my point wasn't that Garrett is a great coach - again, it was simply that QB coaches can be successful without years of background. And frankly, it's pretty ridiculous for you to claim that 2 years as an assistant defensive coach is dramatically better experience for a QB coach than a guy who actually played QB and actually worked within a QB/QB coach relationship.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least McDaniels had a little asst. coaching experience, that's 2 years more than Moore.
Not only that, McDaniels became QB coach in 2004, 1 year AFTER Tom Brady won a Super Bowl in 2003, so McDaniels didn't get turned lose with a young undeveloped QB with problems to fix, the way Jerry is doing to Dak with Moore.
But then the Pats are smarter than Jerry Jones.

And I don't disagree that a little coaching experience helps, but the point is that 2 years coaching on defense isn't a dramatically better background for a QB coach than having actually played QB and actually having experience working within a QB/QB coach relationship, and actually having worked with an offensive game plan.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it's at all irrelevant. First, your lack of the "historical link" statement is a fair point, but it's not the only point.
While lack of previous NFL success as a player does not disqualify Moore as a coaching prospect, neither does it qualify him.
In addition to that, I have to wonder what Dak's confidence level will be with a brand new totally inexperienced coach that he already beat out on the field.
That may prove to be a factor or it may not, but Dak's going to have to answer that question himself.

One other important consideration is I believe Dak needs help and guidance and he needs it NOW, but he's not going to get it from Jerry's latest experiment. The kid has absolutely no coaching experience and it's going to take him time to grow.
IMO that leaves Dak hanging by a thread, and leaves me feeling skeptical.

It was irrelevant to the point he responded to. I fully agree it isn't the only point related to being a QB coach, but it was the only point being discussed in that particular exchange between you and I, therefore his response on a separate point didn't apply.

The rest of your post is reasonable, although my personal guess is Dak wouldn't have a problem being coached by someone who wasn't as good a QB as he was. Dak has probably never been coached by someone who was as good a QB as he was. I'm not sure any quality NFL QB in history had a QB coach that had been as good a QB as they were.

But admittedly, the fact that it would be a player that only a year before was his backup is a bit odd. I suspect that wouldn't be a problem because Dak has publically talked about how much Moore has helped him to prepare for games and on the sideline during games, but it would certainly be an unusual situation, no doubt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you said because you quoted my response to somebody else (Buzzbait), and your comment was a response to what I said to Buzzbait, not you. You jumped into our line of discussion, therefor it wasn't about what you said in another post.

I quoted a response you made to me. You seem to have a passion for this topic that no one else has. We’re into day three and you’re still going.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With our luck he will fire Garrett next year and promote Kellen Moore as new Coach.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I quoted a response you made to me. You seem to have a passion for this topic that no one else has. We’re into day three and you’re still going.

You need to back up one post - you quoted my comment about a point being irrelevant, which was a comment made in response to Buzzbait.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You need to back up one post - you quoted my comment about a point being irrelevant, which was a comment made in response to Buzzbait.

That one I did but the previous comment that could be clicked back to your comment was a response to me. You’ve made comments to me and the other poster downplaying the importance of experience.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That one I did but the previous comment that could be clicked back to your comment was a response to me. You’ve made comments to me and the other poster downplaying the importance of experience.

So, you quoted and responded to my comment to Buzzbait, but I wasn't actually supposed to take that as you quoting and responding to my comment to Buzzbait, but rather to some other comment that you didn't quote ..... I see (then again, I don't).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So, you quoted and responded to my comment to Buzzbait, but I wasn't actually supposed to take that as you quoting and responding to my comment to Buzzbait, but rather to some other comment that you didn't quote ..... I see (then again, I don't).

You seem to want to keep this going day after day. Just let it go this is nothing but a waste of time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You seem to have an agenda to want to keep this going day after day. Just let it go this is nothing but a waste of time.

Okay, I accept it, I made a mistake in thinking that when you quoted and commented on my response to Buzzbait that your response to me would actually be related to what you quoted and commented on. How silly of me to think that. You win.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One other important consideration is I believe Dak needs help and guidance and he needs it NOW, but he's not going to get it from Jerry's latest experiment.

Young potentially franchise QB. We hung him out to dry at Atlanta, and it clearly cost him. The OC's inability or unwillingness to adjust the offense when defense's stopped respecting Dez and Williams also cost him.

Even without the clear screw ups, developing Dak should be the #1 coaching priority. And we "improved" the staff by getting rid of the 1 guy with a lengthy and successful career at QB, who just happened to be the guy who brought Dak to Dallas.

If you were trying to sabotage Dak's career, what you would do differently?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
What's the big deal? We have failed at training a GM and a HC.......just failing at the QB coach level should put us on the upswing.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Okay, I accept it, I made a mistake in thinking that when you quoted and commented on my response to Buzzbait that your response to me would actually be related to what you quoted and commented on. How silly of me to think that. You win.

I'm glad you guys got that ironed out, it was getting really confusing. LOL

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Kellen is definitely coaching material, that was clear even as far back as Boise State. But Jesus, can't you start him as an assistant or something?

Kaiser

Reaction score
A bit of trivia on Kellen Moore, I had a lunch meeting with a friend and one of his friends. The third guy lives in Boise so we started out with some small talk on Boise State Football, DLaw, Crawford, etc. He doesn't follow the NFL very closely, but BSU very closely. He mentioned Kellen Moore and asked if he was still on the roster. When I said he was now the QB Coach he said "Perfect, that is where he belongs".

He said he knows Moore's father pretty well and has met Kellen often but doesn't know him that well. I asked him what he thought of him and he said Kellen is very smart and strikes you as a chess player, that everything is about things two moves ahead. The guy telling me this has written two books and is very well known in his field, so its not an idle complement.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm glad you guys got that ironed out, it was getting really confusing. LOL

It actually did get a bit confusing because usually when a guy quotes a post and responds to that post in the manner he did it is because he is the guy that post was directed at. At the least you expect the response to address the content of the post he quoted. I had to first figure out that he wasn't the guy my post had been directed at, and then figure out he was making a point that wasn't even directed at the post that he quoted.

Sydla

Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned the obvious rebuttal to this?

The Cowboys may think Moore is a future coaching staff but these are the same people who believe Jason Garrett is one of the best coaches in the NFL.