News: ST: Why the Cowboys believe new QB coach Kellen Moore is a future coaching star

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get that Garrett is a bit of a sore spot. I personally wasn't opposed to Garrett being the HC of the future at the time we hired him, but Jerry's idea of when the future would come didn't quite jive with mine. The discussion about his lack of experience is unnecessary - I'm on board. But that was a situation in the past - Moore is now.

If having more than a few career NFL starts is a requirement to be an NFL QB coach, Alex Van Pelt is the only current QB coach in the NFL that I'm aware of that meets the requirements, and even he didn't have much more than a few career starts. Most NFL QB coaches never even got to the NFL, and some never played the position at all. Wade Wilson was the most experienced NFL player among QB coaches.

And yes, I get that McDaniel had a couple of years coaching, but he was a graduate assistant at Michigan State, not a paid staff coach in charge of anything, and in the pros he spent a year basically a gofer at the lowest possible rung on the coaching ladder, and 2 years as a defensive assistant. Let that sink in - he wasn't even a college QB, having been beat out and moved to WR, never played pro ball at any position, and the tiny amount of coaching experience he had was on the defensive side of the ball. The reality is he didn't have remotely the experience working with QB's and QB coaches that Moore has, nor remotely the experience actually playing the game at QB.

That's not to say Moore will be better than McDaniels, or even as good, but it does illustrate that the experience factor isn't necessarily the issue some think.

Don’t care to get into a long ongoing discussion on this. It’s a matter of opinion and I gave you mine.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t care to get into a long ongoing discussion on this. It’s a matter of opinion and I gave you mine.

I assume people that post in a public forum expect the comments made will be discussed. but we can leave it at that if you want.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kellen Moore is a future superstar of coaching because they hired him and he's Linehan's cabana boy. And he looks really cool in a leather helmet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I assume people that post in a public forum expect the comments made will be discussed. but we can leave it at that if you want.
Except my comments. I want all y'all to take them as gospel and not argue with me. Even if they seem a bit odd, give them some time to marinate in there and you will accept them or forget them. And throw a Like in there just in case I was right. Especially if you know I am wrong. I am into pity Likes.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
All of them?
I was being sarcastic, but I'm willing to bet a freezer full of bacon there are others. A noodle arm is a noodle arm.
You have a freezer full of bacon?
I'm on my way...

Don't worry, you don't need to give me directions, or an address... I have friends in low places.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Except my comments. I want all y'all to take them as gospel and not argue with me. Even if they seem a bit odd, give them some time to marinate in there and you will accept them or forget them. And throw a Like in there just in case I was right. Especially if you know I am wrong. I am into pity Likes.
I think I might like you... I'm not sure yet.
I do like the gospel part! Makes me think you're like Richard Dawson and that guy has kissed more good looking women than anyone on this entire planet! Even Wilt the Stilt!

But... there's something about you...
Like you're a better version of me...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We discussed it and have a differing of opinion. There’s a lot of other things I would rather be discussing than Kellen Moore’s qualifications as the Cowboys QB coach. Most fans don’t like the hire if you do then that’s fine. You already know how I feel about it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Come on Coach, you're comments are always wrong .... except when they are right. Usually a bit odd I think, but I can't be sure because I tend to forget them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We discussed it and have a differing of opinion. There’s a lot of other things I would rather be discussing than Kellen Moore’s qualifications as the Cowboys QB coach. Most fans don’t like the hire if you do then that’s fine. You already know how I feel about it.

Never said I liked the hire, just said I'm not condemning the hire. Many of the reasons people give for not liking it aren't really relevant, and even with what is relevant there is a reasonable basis for not putting as much weight on it as some would like.

As with the example of Josh McDaniel, I just don't buy that his 2 years as a defensive assistant coach somehow is a dramatically better training ground to be a QB coach than Moore's 20+ years playing QB, inlcuding 6 years in the NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Never said I liked the hire, just said I'm not condemning the hire. Many of the reasons people give for not liking it aren't really relevant, and even with what is relevant there is a reasonable basis for not putting as much weight on it as some would like.

As with the example of Josh McDaniel, I just don't buy that his 2 years as a defensive assistant coach somehow is a dramatically better training ground to be a QB coach than Moore's 20+ years playing QB, inlcuding 6 years in the NFL.

The lack of experience Moore has is relevant. Several weeks ago Stephen Jones acknowledged Moore’s lack of experience and that the Cowboys may opt for a more experienced QB coach.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL .......hope Linehan and Martinelli realize their replacements have already been hired for 2019

fansince68

Reaction score
Of course working on mechanics is only a part of the QB coach's job. Helping the QB understand opponents, and read defenses, and examine game film and work with the game plan, and make smart decisions is a big part, and most of that can't be done one on one with a coach in the off season.

I'm not really sure how many proven QB gurus there really are that aren't already working as coaches.
Did you notice that Dak couldn't throw a deep or mid range out pattern to save his life. Many throws were too high, too far in front, or behind his receivers. If your habits and mechanics are off, it won't do you a bit of good to read a defense if you can't hit the receiver down field.

rpntex

Reaction score
The lack of experience Moore has is relevant. Several weeks ago Stephen Jones acknowledged Moore’s lack of experience and that the Cowboys may opt for a more experienced QB coach.

Not looking to start some long, drawn out argument with you, but until we know what Moore’s specific duties will be, we can’t judge whether he’s qualified for the post or not. With both Linehan and Garrett already on staff, it may turn out that he’s nothing more then an offensive quality control coach with the QB coach label. I’m going to get a few more details before I can endorse or condemn the hire.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not looking to start some long, drawn out argument with you, but until we know what Moore’s specific duties will be, we can’t judge whether he’s qualified for the post or not. With both Linehan and Garrett already on staff, it may turn out that he’s nothing more then an offensive quality control coach with the QB coach label. I’m going to get a few more details before I can endorse or condemn the hire.

Stephen mentioned that Dak gets a lot of QB help from Garrett and Linehan who were QB’s so I don’t expect Moore’s duties to be anything special. This is probably why the Cowboys feel Moore’s inexperience isn’t a concern.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Horrible decision, this does nothing to help Dak's developmental growth.

Couldn't agree more. We have a young QB that needs the help and guidance of a good experienced QB coach who knows what he's doing!
So what do they do? Just the opposite in every way.
They really think Moore is going to teach and guide Dak?? They think Dak is going to look up to Kellen Moore for advice and wisdom? :banghead:
And why??? Because he reminds them of Garrett. :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Lol!

There’s nothing wrong with an organization striving for continuity,
but that’s only if they’re “continuing” a winning formula. Continuity is counterproductive if it allows mediocrity to continue simply for familiarity’s sake.

We’ll see.
Sounds like continuing the formula for 8-8. Just think, now we'll have TWO 8-8 coaches.
I wonder whose brilliant idea that was. *SMH*

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Quick, tell us how many QB coaches in the NFL could throw the ball better than Moore?.........

Quick, tell us what present Cowboys QB beat Moore out for a starting position?
And yet Moore is going to teach the QB that beat him out, how to be a better QB?
That should prove to be interesting.