CFZ Stabs at the 2023 Runningback Rotation

DuncanIso

Reaction score
My bet is RJones is RB1 through out camp, since TonyP is rehabbing that leg/ankle.

They are paying him to be RB2.

His stats are solid.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are going as heavy as possible at RB, plenty of stash room, but cannot expose Deuce, maybe not even Luepke, but will keep 4 active on roster.
MM is smart enough to know that you platoon RBs in today's running game.
Sometimes it's not about the talent as much it is about the scheme.
Don't have to have an "elite" RB to be successful moving the rock vs in "scheme" with a capable/skilled RB successfully executing a role within the scheme.
I agree they need several backs but it doesn't make sense to draft Vaughn or sign leupke to 200k if there wasn't a good chance they make the 53. Besides the only RB clearly better when healthy is pollard. RJ is a vet but not very good, don't know how good davis can be in an extended role but he gets my vote over RJ.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I agree they need several backs but it doesn't make sense to draft Vaughn or sign leupke to 200k if there wasn't a good chance they make the 53. Besides the only RB clearly better when healthy is pollard. RJ is a vet but not very good, don't know how good davis can be in an extended role but he gets my vote over RJ.
RJones has a 98 yd TD run.

How bad could he be?

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
More like Reid, the OL, the play calls, scheming , and sure PM helps pull it together but please just stop if the OL blocks, open holes better against the better Defenses instead of say NO RUN GAME, 11 penalties, and other issues causing tipped balls or gets our qbs hand broken ie bottom 10 in win rate pressures , IDC about sacks that the qb pulling out, running, rushing throws, or moving throw on the run that helps with that but the OL been the issue in the playoffs #1 by longshot.

starts in the trenches, ours have been suspect against the top DLs
PM "helps" to "pull it together"???? Im not denying the importance of the trenches, def the most important aspect of building a SB team, in most cases, but I do disagree in KC's case. Mahomes might be the best QB to ever play the game, he's unlike any other, and as long as his OL isnt the worst in the league like it was in the COVID season when Tampa won, I think he has abilities that no1 else outside maybe Joe Burrow possesses.

quickccc

Reaction score
Our RB group and situation suck. PERIOD.
Now that is taking into account we have no idea about Pollard right now, until he is 100%, if he will be.

Even if he is, the RB situation is not all that good. Another stupid blown situation by the FO in Jerry and Son, Inc.

If they are relying on Pollard as the bell cow, I hope they are right. But how many times have we seen them do this before at other position groups.

To each his own, but I'm more optimistic and anxious to see this RB unit.
Especially if I have in mind of what and how the present coaches to utilize and scheme this group vs what I observed
from the last group of coaches per Kellen, Philibin. .

- I can only hope our coaches Do Not see or use Pollard as a "bell cow" . I'd like to believe those days of a starting RB on this team are gone.
We've seen how that bell cow mentality did to a 27 yr old Zeke Elliott.

- You portion and ration the touches contribution, you have packages and situation sets.
One back, ..two backs same time. .. split backs. You have guys that quick hole hitters, and whose game is suited for splash plays.

- When they need to grind the ball to keep clock control possession to keep ball away from a Philly, Niners offense in the last 2 minutes of an offense.
I'm sure the Cowboys will design it to go with lead guy in that kind of situation.

blueblood70

Reaction score
says you LOL ok Mr.GM sir.. when NCAA players are now getting huge $$ deals for sponsorships you cant come weak to get solid UDFAS etc lets let the FO say what makes sense and what doesn't.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm more than fine with that. A lot of teams in the league are the same way. It's a disposable position and they are a dime a dozen. No reason to sink big money into one like they did with Zeke. Did you see what the Chiefs just won the super bowl with? Isiah Pacheco, Jerick McKinnon, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and La'Mical Perine.
The lead and won with Mahomes, OL work and A Reid coaching and special teams -plus decent enuff defense that kept them in the game
Including a huge Hurts fumble.

Edwards Helarie was on the roster, but he never touched the game. He's a non-factor and not expected to be re-signed when his contract expires.
What Pacheo and McKinnon did was allow KC Chiefs to have production in run game, so opposing teams cannot just sit back heavy in zones and prevents, that
worked so well vs Mahomes & co. the year before.
That also helped a Mahomes that no longer had a Tyrek Hill or true lead feature WR.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
List of successful 5'5 NFL WRs:

"The other thing is that Schoonmaker is actually better than people think." :laugh: He's better than people think? We don't even know if he's a viable NFL player yet.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm more than fine with that. A lot of teams in the league are the same way. It's a disposable position and they are a dime a dozen. No reason to sink big money into one like they did with Zeke. Did you see what the Chiefs just won the super bowl with? Isiah Pacheco, Jerick McKinnon, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and La'Mical Perine.
Like Tony too. He’s getting 10 million this Fall. And he doesn’t have to play a down.

If you have scrub RBs, who runs the football for you?

It’s a different offense when you have Mahomes.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He’s only 25 man. 500 career rushes.

He’s basically brand new.
He had 1 good season 3 years ago and hasn't done much since. Zeke was good 3 years ago too why not just keep him? only reason they signed RJ was cheap vet presence in case the new guys struggle or injury

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
RJones stats are near equal to pollards.

Tony has more catches and more yards.

RJ has more TDS. And a 98 yd TD.
The only reason RJ has more TD's was Zeke was getting those last year..TP could have easily had 5-6 more TD's last year if he got goaline carries.