CFZ Stabs at the 2023 Runningback Rotation

Motorola

Reaction score
I much rather see a legit competition than going back to just handing an aging vet the job. It’s been a major problem having a ridiculous contract dictate a roster spot and workload. That’s even after being way over rated by management. I see Dowdle Jones Davis Luepke and Vaughn fighting for the 2 or 3 spots considering what they do at TE and in the return game. Special teams is the edge in this competition. Finding guys who can have multiple roles. Churn and keep churning! It’s the correct approach at this point.
It will be the way hence forward now that Elliott is gone.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I was a rb in college, but always had much more of a defensive mentality. I havent been this excited to see a Cowboys defense in years.
Cool!
I agree about the defense. Last year was the first time in a long time I felt they had a championship caliber defense, and this season they look to be even better!

garyv

Reaction score
Some of the biggest news this offseason for Dallas has been the release of Ezekiel Elliott, who is the latest big player to prove the NFL stands for what have you done for me lately.

With that said, it's exciting to think about the rotation coming up in 2023. I feel like one combination can be Luepke and Pollard. The player I really liked, as an NFL prospect, was Noah Gindorff, simply because he's basically a lineman who can go out for a pass, and might be good on those swing passes. I have to say, the title FB, made my evaluation on him (Luepke), well, non-existent: I just didn't think even McCarthy would add a full-back. But I do have visions of Hunter Luepke and Duece Vaughn in the same backfield, and then 2 TE sets with Pollard when he's in. There's a lot we can do there, especially if Luepke ends up being a good blocker, and at least 2 of our TEs take a step in their blocking game. It can happen.

I think we keep 4RBs. I think it's Pollard, Jones, Luepke, Vaughn. And, Vaughn can also be your 5th, 6th, emergency WR. Yes, he can do that, especially in a WCO. The path for Vaugh is to adapt to being a two-role player. He has it in him.

The other thing is that Schoonmaker is actually better than people think. Yes, he is older. But there's a reason they went up to get him in the 2nd round. They wanted to improve at TE, instead of staying the same, because they already have 2 guys who are on the level of those remaining, aside from guys like Josh Whyle, who I think was under-scouted as a pass-catcher.

So, Jones and Pollard, can both be WRs, and are marginally good at blocking. Meanwhile, the Pollard/Vaughn, and Pollard Luepke combinations could be interesting. For whatever reason, I don't think they like or trust Malik Davis. They pulled him in the San Fran game, and just never gave him another chance all while Zeke blew it, in large part becasue we became so predictable handing it off to Zeke. We shall see. As for Zeke, my kudos go out to him. We all know RBs have short careers, and not many can outrun Zeke. He's a top 5 Cowboys back in my book, and that's among a history of having nothing but the most elite backs in Dallas.

This is what I've been saying Pollard, Jones, Luepke, Vaughn

Breaking down Touches possibly like this:

Pollard 240 Carries 30 Receptions
Jones 80 Carries 20 Receptions
Vaughn 80 Carries 25 Receptions
Luepke 50 Carries 10 Receptions

ghst187

Reaction score
Tony Pollard
Derrick Henry
Deuce Vaughn
The UDFA FB guy

Mr_437

Reaction score
Pollard
"40" Deuce
Rico
Hunter

Rico is the best STer at RB. Deuce is a weapon, and RB2 should get like 10 carries a game...he can handle that. Hunter is the game day inactive stash guy for insurance.

It was talk about Davis's attitude last season, but I can't blame him for being upset when Zeke was stinking up the field yet he didn't get snaps. I view Jones as a basic RB that won't do anything to challenge a defense.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was the leading rusher for the superbowl champs in 2020. Averaging 5.1 ypc.

I havent seen even 1 of his runs, that I can recall. So I dont have an opinion of if he can play or not.

But hes not slow.
And that was how many years ago? That's right 3. He was wasted garbage the prior 2 years and the 2 years after. Dude had 1 good season.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think Jones could surprise in this RB competition. I certainly haven't seen enough from anyone not name Pollard to already have them penciled in. There's a few roster spots up for grabs and this camp battle should be very interesting.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It will be the way hence forward now that Elliott is gone.
Pollard is pulling down 10 million this year.

Deuce is making 900k. And is likely a faster runner. Injury to Tony or not.

We can guess how this might turn out for Tony.

Because like some people on here say, you don’t overspend for a RB.

Verdict

Reaction score
Ronald Jones is not as good as Malik Davis.
I think the smart money is betting that Jokes gets cut and doesn’t make the 53. He might be resigned to the practice squad.

I think he was signed to be a place holder. He’s not very good, but he’s been around long enough to bounce back and forth from the practice squad to the active roster. I see him as a practice squad player only.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Ronald Jones is not as good as Malik Davis.
To be fair, if you compare the career stats of TonyP and RJones, they are almost identical. Jones even has more TDS, while Tony has more yards.

RJones was drafted 38th overall and he’s 25. Younger than Tony.

He’s probably the reason Dallas didn’t draft a RB higher in the draft.

RJones is slower though.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
To be fair, if you compare the career stats of TonyP and RJones, they are almost identical. Jones even has more TDS, while Tony has more yards.

RJones was drafted 38th overall and he’s 25. Younger than Tony.

He’s probably the reason Dallas didn’t draft a RB higher in the draft.

RJones is slower though.
Tony Pollard barely turned 26 this past April 30. Ronald Jones will be turning 26 in August. Tony Pollard is only 3.5 months older. The only difference is Ronald Jones came to the NFL a year earlier than Tony Pollard. Yet, Tony Pollard has more yards and carries in 1 less year of experience. Yes, Ronald has 2 more TDs than Tony, but Tony easily would have more if given another year of playtime like Ronald has.

Screenshot-20230514-074704-Google.jpg

Screenshot-20230514-074728-Google.jpg

Screenshot-20230514-075422-Chrome.jpg

Tony Pollard averages 5.2 ypc, while Ronald Jones averages 4.5 ypc. If anything, Ronald Jones is much more equal to Malik Davis who averaged 4.24 ypc this past rookie year. That's because if you compare Malik's and Ronald's rookie years, Malik averages a way higher ypc (4.24 compared to 1.9 ypc) than Ronald his rookie year. They both averaged only 1 TD their rookie years. If you look at their tapes, Malik looks quicker and has more burst than Ronald. Malik ran more times his rookie year last year than Ronald did his rookie year 5 years ago. At this point, give me the RB who has similar size, speed, stats yearly comparison but is quicker, younger, has more burst and more upside. That's Malik Davis.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Maybe. But if Vaughn is what they think he wont last there and Leupke if they actually use him will be really helpful in games. Kinda a fun battle to see what these guys can do and just how MM will use them.
We are going as heavy as possible at RB, plenty of stash room, but cannot expose Deuce, maybe not even Luepke, but will keep 4 active on roster.
MM is smart enough to know that you platoon RBs in today's running game.
Sometimes it's not about the talent as much it is about the scheme.
Don't have to have an "elite" RB to be successful moving the rock vs in "scheme" with a capable/skilled RB successfully executing a role within the scheme.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pollard
Zeke
Vaughn
Luepke

This is your best lineup hands down.

I knows his yard per carry were down, but some have forgotten what an important role he was playing in short yardage situations and at the goal line.
We don't have a replacement for those tough yards right now. He had 12 TDs last season and 11 of those were the final 11 weeks of the season.

shabazz

Reaction score
Pollard
Zeke
Vaughn
Luepke

This is your best lineup hands down.

I knows his yard per carry were down, but some have forgotten what an important role he was playing in short yardage situations and at the goal line.
We don't have a replacement for those tough yards right now.
the fall off is too drastic behind Pollard so I’m not thrilled with that lineup……however, Leupke should be the guy to get those short yardage situations.

Keep Zeke off and get a back that closer to Pollard production in case of injury or a slow start by Pollard

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Tony Pollard barely turned 26 this past April 30. Ronald Jones will be turning 26 in August. Tony Pollard is only 3.5 months older. The only difference is Ronald Jones came to the NFL a year earlier than Tony Pollard. Yet, Tony Pollard has more yards and carries in 1 less year of experience. Yes, Ronald has 2 more TDs than Tony, but Tony easily would have more if given another year of playtime like Ronald has.

Screenshot-20230514-074704-Google.jpg

Screenshot-20230514-074728-Google.jpg

Screenshot-20230514-075422-Chrome.jpg

Tony Pollard averages 5.2 ypc, while Ronald Jones averages 4.5 ypc. If anything, Ronald Jones is much more equal to Malik Davis who averaged 4.24 ypc this past rookie year. That's because if you compare Malik's and Ronald's rookie years, Malik averages a way higher ypc (4.24 compared to 1.9 ypc) than Ronald his rookie year. They both averaged only 1 TD their rookie years. If you look at their tapes, Malik looks quicker and has more burst than Ronald. Malik ran more times his rookie year last year than Ronald did his rookie year 5 years ago. At this point, give me the RB who has similar size, speed, stats yearly comparison but is quicker, younger, has more burst and more upside. That's Malik Davis.
the only reason Jones has more TD's is Zeke..otherwise you could easily pencil in another 5 to 6 TD's for TP last year.