Stafford at 25-28M and give up the 10 pick?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I do not see that as a downgrade, not even remotely or I wouldn't have started the thread. Between the two, even up, I'll take Stafford.

There is nothing on Stafford's resume' to suggest he's better than Prescott. He's actually the lesser of the two by every objective measure.

Giving up a first round pick to replace Dak with him is only remotely considerable if the price is substantially less and Booger uses the money to better the defense. Absent both of those things that trade would make the Cowboys worse. I'm not convinced he'll be that much cheaper and Booger hasn't been able to fix the defense in years.

So now we're left with a team no better than what we have and we're out a first round pick. No thanks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They can’t have the 10th pick too screw that.

I’ll give them Dak or a 2.

But!

I guess if they can flip Dak for picks I’d do it.

So I’ve changed my mind.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My point in all of this Daksaga has been if not him, then who is the QB? There weren't other options except a rookie QB until just recently.

I do see these 2 QB's as comparable in talent and the age thing doesn't come into play because I am only talking about the next 4 years.

So, do you favor keeping Prescott at 37.5M AND that 10th pick or trade it to DET for Stafford and save 10-12M on the contract.

The tricky part of this is that the assumption seems to be they would use that 10-12M to help fix the defense but are we so sure of that?

I am also assuming Stafford could be signed for a contract in that neighborhood and that is pure assumption on my part. Everybody's wanting to get paid. And according to reports, there are 10 teams kicking the tires on that trade so I am not sure giving up that 10 pick would get it done.

What's your preference and this isn't another hug or hit Prescott thread, it's just about that trade and the advantages to the team.

I am for taking that deal if they'd do it. Stafford has never had the talent around him like this offense would provide and I've seen one QB with this team and I think I am ready to see another.

The interesting part of this is there just happens to be a coach on this team that faced Stafford twice a year throughout his entire career, I wonder what he thinks about this?
They would not have to give up the 10th overall....no way.
:omg:
Stafford and the Lions have already agreed to part ways. The guy might even just get waived.

I suspect a late 2nd at the highest would land him and maybe a 3rd or 4th.
Also, I bet Matt would play here for low 20s
Not that I see it happening at all. Dak is going to be our QB

Colts, Saints, 49ers, Rams...all would be title contenders. I've heard the Panthers might be interested too, but they also are looking at Watson or the draft

I do find it entertaining to see people here looking at the absolute crap that Stafford has played with, mostly, and judge him.
You ask ANY GM or player that has faced him. He is a monster.
Aaron Rodgers thinks he's one of the best ever. Bruce Arians says he might be the best pure passer he has ever seen.
He's just usually played on teams with terrible run games and horrible pass protection. Usually terrible defense too, but they did have a great one in 2014.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is nothing on Stafford's resume' to suggest he's better than Prescott. He's actually the lesser of the two by every objective measure.

Giving up a first round pick to replace Dak with him is only remotely considerable if the price is substantially less and Booger uses the money to better the defense. Absent both of those things that trade would make the Cowboys worse. I'm not convinced he'll be that much cheaper and Booger hasn't been able to fix the defense in years.
Valid points on what Stafford wants and applying the savings.

I would only be in favor of this if those two things were present. Just to give up the 10 pick on, at best, a level talent trade would not make sense, they didn't use the #1 pick to help the D, or the team for that matter, last year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
well ok, but he isnt old just yet

How many more years do you think he has? Maybe not old for a team like the Colts and Rams who may be just a quarterback away.
But not for the Cowboys. This teams is not simply a quarterback away from contending for the Super Bowl.
Besides, I don't think Stafford has 1/2 the leadership ability Dak has.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They would not have to give up the 10th overall....no way.
:omg:
Stafford and the Lions have already agreed to part ways. The guy might even just get waived.

I suspect a late 2nd at the highest would land him and maybe a 3rd or 4th.
Also, I bet Matt would play here for low 20s
Not that I see it happening at all. Dak is going to be our QB

Colts, Saints, 49ers, ...all would be title contenders. I've heard the Panthers might be interested too, but they also are looking at Watson or the draft
If it is true that 10 teams have shown interest, a 1st round pick will be involved. The Lions have not publicly agreed to just let Stafford walk.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If it is true that 10 teams have shown interest, a 1st round pick will be involved. The Lions have not publicly agreed to just let Stafford walk.
But the 10th overall pick....that's worth twice as much as a late 1st rounder.
And I agree, they have not agreed to let him walk. That was speculation

If there are 10 teams like you say, then maybe a very late 1st....say from the Colts or Saints.
But even then, I'm thinking late 2nd vs late 1st.
Should be interesting!

What comes into play in Stafford's favor--and why the interest--is that he is still only 32 and very smart and talented, but also comes at very reasonable price.
I'd be shocked if Indy isn't very interested. They are contenders with him.
I've even heard the Rams are in the mix.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My point in all of this Daksaga has been if not him, then who is the QB? There weren't other options except a rookie QB until just recently.

I do see these 2 QB's as comparable in talent and the age thing doesn't come into play because I am only talking about the next 4 years.

So, do you favor keeping Prescott at 37.5M AND that 10th pick or trade it to DET for Stafford and save 10-12M on the contract.

The tricky part of this is that the assumption seems to be they would use that 10-12M to help fix the defense but are we so sure of that?

I am also assuming Stafford could be signed for a contract in that neighborhood and that is pure assumption on my part. Everybody's wanting to get paid. And according to reports, there are 10 teams kicking the tires on that trade so I am not sure giving up that 10 pick would get it done.

What's your preference and this isn't another hug or hit Prescott thread, it's just about that trade and the advantages to the team.

I am for taking that deal if they'd do it. Stafford has never had the talent around him like this offense would provide and I've seen one QB with this team and I think I am ready to see another.

The interesting part of this is there just happens to be a coach on this team that faced Stafford twice a year throughout his entire career, I wonder what he thinks about this?
What will 10M get you that would fix the defense. And account for the top ten pick u lost and drop off in QB play....

The problem is not the money. The problem is.signing the right guys. Last year we signed 4 players to.about 15M but they were all the wrong guys.

Plus one player ain't making a difference in this defense.

I rather go draft defense defense defense. Wait for Quinn to implement his system then see what we got in the rookies and then figure out who we might want chase in FA. By next year we are in position to get rid of Zeke and Jaylon as well and the cap will go back up.

Trading for a QB that's 33, been injured with back issues the past two years, far below Dak and give up a valuable top 10 pick. That's stupidity

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Trading the #10 pick in the draft for Stafford would be beyond stupid.

Mac Jones is a younger version of Stafford in my opinion. I personally would rather have Mac Jones at QB under a 5 year contract at a low price than Stafford for the next two years at $25M/year. Assuming Prescott leaves or can't play next season (he won't even be able to pass a physical until maybe June or July at the earliest), then I would consider other options from the available FAs and draft. No, I wouldn't take Mac Jones at #10, but if he were there later in a trade down or in the second round, then maybe. I have no idea where Mac Jones will go in the draft right now. If Justin Fields drops to #10 or some other QB is there at #10, then I'd rather roll with that than Stafford.

The Lions would not even take a Prescott for Stafford trade straight up. Dak just does not have much value on the market at this point due to his injury and contract demands.

Dak will not be able to pass a physical at the beginning of FA. Dak will not be able to pass a physical at the beginning of the draft. No team other than the Cowboys will offer Dak any contract for the next 4 months. Jerry needs to realize he is not competing with any team for Dak until Dak can pass a physical. By the time Dak can pass a physical, almost all teams will have finalized their camp rosters and will be in no position to offer a QB a long term contract of $110M guaranteed and $35-40M per year especially with the cap at $180M for 2021 and the 2022 cap looking almost as bad.

Dak did well as a rookie with talented offensive players around him. Mac Jones, Trask, Fields, the BYU QB and maybe some other draftee could do the same thing as Dak did in his rookie year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wow

Ian Rappaport says Stafford will be traded before the Super Bowl, and that the interest is pretty huge.
Not sure how that can happen as trades can't be completed until March 17

The OP might be right about the Lions getting a 1st though.

A "future" 1st sounds better to me. 2022 1st equal a 2021 2nd in trade value.

But who knows?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I do not see that as a downgrade, not even remotely or I wouldn't have started the thread. Between the two, even up, I'll take Stafford.

Yea, with Dak, you've locked down the position for the next 5-8 years. At 32 with Stafford we could very be addressing the position again within 3-4 years.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If stafford was released and we could sign him as a free agent I would understand making a run at him. Giving up draft capitol just to make a lateral move at qb doesn’t make sense to me. The only thing that makes sense is if you had a trade partner lined up for dak that would be a 1st+

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the 10th overall pick....that's worth twice as much as a late 1st rounder.
And I agree, they have not agreed to let him walk. That was speculation

If there are 10 teams like you say, then maybe a very late 1st....say from the Colts or Saints.
But even then, I'm thinking late 2nd vs late 1st.
Should be interesting!

What comes into play in Stafford's favor--and why the interest--is that he is still only 32 and very smart and talented, but also comes at very reasonable price.
I'd be shocked if Indy isn't very interested. They are contenders with him.
I've even heard the Rams are in the mix.
I think the NFL holds Stafford in much higher regard than the posters here do.

I also think those teams you mentioned are all better than the Cowboys and more a QB away than the Cowboys. I would also add CAR and WAS to that list.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If stafford was released and we could sign him as a free agent I would understand making a run at him. Giving up draft capitol just to make a lateral move at qb doesn’t make sense to me. The only thing that makes sense is if you had a trade partner lined up for dak that would be a 1st+
Tricky to tag and trade a QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, with Dak, you've locked down the position for the next 5-8 years. At 32 with Stafford we could very be addressing the position again within 3-4 years.
I am fine with that. I can save a bunch of my posts and reuse them then.

cowboyec

Reaction score
No argument about needing help and for a lot more than a QB comparison but I think Stafford is a better passer than Prescott will ever be.

I do not hold the history of DET against him as they are the CLE of the NFC. The back issue, that would be a real concern if it is problematic.

Lack of personality? Hell, I am not looking to date him. What's that got to do with anything" You think Tom Brady is Mr. Bubbly? Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes are hardly the 3 Stooges.

I really don't need help because I've watched both of these QB's play from college on and my eyes tell me Stafford is the better passer, always has been. That's why he was the #1 recruit in the country and he was a better passer at Highland Park than Prescott ever was at Miss St.

I do think it is a moot point because they will extend Prescott but it is something to discuss.
maybe then...but not now.
to my eyes Dak is the better QB.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I'm sorry but there are many games that Dak pulled a win out that stafford would have folded under. I love Staffords cannon arm but I think Dak is best suited for this team and todays NFL style. Need a QB that can throw on the run and as well just plain run to pick up yards. Just sign Dak and improve his defense and Oline.