Stafford at 25-28M and give up the 10 pick?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A top 10 pick for Stafford is moronic. Maybe a 2 and a conditional 4. Plus you better trade Dak to get that 2 back.

Adreme

Reaction score
My point in all of this Daksaga has been if not him, then who is the QB? There weren't other options except a rookie QB until just recently.

I do see these 2 QB's as comparable in talent and the age thing doesn't come into play because I am only talking about the next 4 years.

So, do you favor keeping Prescott at 37.5M AND that 10th pick or trade it to DET for Stafford and save 10-12M on the contract.

The tricky part of this is that the assumption seems to be they would use that 10-12M to help fix the defense but are we so sure of that?

I am also assuming Stafford could be signed for a contract in that neighborhood and that is pure assumption on my part. Everybody's wanting to get paid. And according to reports, there are 10 teams kicking the tires on that trade so I am not sure giving up that 10 pick would get it done.

What's your preference and this isn't another hug or hit Prescott thread, it's just about that trade and the advantages to the team.

I am for taking that deal if they'd do it. Stafford has never had the talent around him like this offense would provide and I've seen one QB with this team and I think I am ready to see another.

The interesting part of this is there just happens to be a coach on this team that faced Stafford twice a year throughout his entire career, I wonder what he thinks about this?

They are not comparable, Dak is pretty much better than Stafford in most areas of being a QB (deep ball accuracy, mobility, and the age thing does matter because it means you are spending at least 1 first round pick 4-6 years from now versus 11-15 years from now. The team is not exactly close next year anyway (too many missed drafts in a row) so long-term thinking has to be employed here.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the NFL holds Stafford in much higher regard than the posters here do.

I also think those teams you mentioned are all better than the Cowboys and more a QB away than the Cowboys. I would also add CAR and WAS to that list.
So:
SF
IND
NO
WAS
CAR
LAR
NE?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the great unknowns about this is the value of a QB to the other teams.

I wanted to use the non-exclusive tag on Prescott last season just to establish the close to open market value That would involve 2 1sts from a team so it's not just the contract.

One of the questions I've pondered is just what do the other teams' FO's and coaching staffs think the value of Dak Prescott is? What contract, if any, would they offer to him?

I know it is pure speculation on our part but I do wonder which teams would be interested in him and just what would they be willing to pay him.

He's been in the league long enough that he's faced all of the teams but coaching turnover plays with that as well.

There are teams that need QB's like NE, IND, NO, CAR. WAS, DEN, JAX, LAR is looking to make a change as is DET and maybe HOU and possibly LVR.

This particular situation with Prescott is a little unique because they've seen him with and without the weapons and it's night and day and do they have the support necessary for him to be successful? And just what would they be willing to pay and with that comes the variable of where they are with respect to the cap.

Ya see, I've seen Prescott and Stafford with and without weapons and give me Fat Face Matt all day on that one. I keep waiting for him to grow into his head.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mod strikes again
What in the world does his posting have to do w/ him being a mod? Looks to me as if you're making stuff up. Can't really figure out why, some sort of odd agenda I guess?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chiefs before Mahomes.
Bucs before Brady.
Ya the QB position is that valuable and important.
Give the 10th pick and we are good for at least 5 seasons with the Stafford man!

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
My point in all of this Daksaga has been if not him, then who is the QB? There weren't other options except a rookie QB until just recently.

I do see these 2 QB's as comparable in talent and the age thing doesn't come into play because I am only talking about the next 4 years.

So, do you favor keeping Prescott at 37.5M AND that 10th pick or trade it to DET for Stafford and save 10-12M on the contract.

The tricky part of this is that the assumption seems to be they would use that 10-12M to help fix the defense but are we so sure of that?

I am also assuming Stafford could be signed for a contract in that neighborhood and that is pure assumption on my part. Everybody's wanting to get paid. And according to reports, there are 10 teams kicking the tires on that trade so I am not sure giving up that 10 pick would get it done.

What's your preference and this isn't another hug or hit Prescott thread, it's just about that trade and the advantages to the team.

I am for taking that deal if they'd do it. Stafford has never had the talent around him like this offense would provide and I've seen one QB with this team and I think I am ready to see another.

The interesting part of this is there just happens to be a coach on this team that faced Stafford twice a year throughout his entire career, I wonder what he thinks about this?

The other option is to sign your franchise QB to a long term deal.

RamziD

Reaction score
What in the world does his posting have to do w/ him being a mod? Looks to me as if you're making stuff up. Can't really figure out why, some sort of odd agenda I guess?
It’s just funny bc of the consistently bad football opinions

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Chiefs before Mahomes.
Bucs before Brady.
Ya the QB position is that valuable and important.
Give the 10th pick and we are good for at least 5 seasons with the Stafford man!
pappy, you are blinded by your agenda. Even "If" you see this as a lateral move, you are giving up on the #10 pick in the draft? :thumbdown:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pappy, you are blinded by your agenda. Even "If" you see this as a lateral move, you are giving up on the #10 pick in the draft? :thumbdown:

And so what?
Can you guarantee that pick will develop into a stud player?
NO.
We all know Stafford's value and talents add to that the need we have to have a Quality QB who can score from start to finish in any game.
Garbage Dak had his chance and team is going nowhere with him at the helm.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Crazy talk, CC, ol' buddy.

No way is Stafford, especially at his age of where he's about to turn 33 next week, in the same category today as good as a much younger, entering his prime and very much improved a 27 year old Dak Prescott.

In 2020, Matthew Stafford threw for a pretty good 4,084 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs and a 96.3 passer rating.

In 2020 with only 4.5 games played due to a season ending injury suffered during Week 5's game vs the Giants, Dak had already thrown for 1,856 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs and a 99.6 passer rating. Dak was on pace to throw for 6,600+ yards, 32 TDs, 14 INTs and a 100+ passer rating. Had Dak not gotten injured and passed for 6,600+ yards, he would have shattered Peyton Manning's single season NFL passing yards record of 5,400 by at least 1,200 yards. That's unheard of! Dak was on pace to accomplish as much, yet you want to give up on him?

I don't get why some are willing to get rid of a built from the ground up Lamborghini (in only 4.25 years) for an old, past its prime, beat up Corvette?

exciter

Reaction score

And you really don’t think that Stafford asked for a trade at this time because he wants to cash in on the current market value QBs are getting right now while he’s still under 35!