Video: Star Crossed: The Carter-Romo Story

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
It's amazing to hear the former personnel people admit they didn't prepare for Aikman's exit. His departure from the team didn't even cross their minds.

And seeing Campo in that press conference...wow, not to mention Jerry's used car salesman wink, smile and point.

I'm at a loss at the utter lack of talent at the management/ownership level during that time. Parcells was the cure.

burmafrd

Reaction score
this was the one area where Jerruh's fascination with former baseball players helped out. BP was able to hide Romo due to Jerruh's obsession with Henson.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It's amazing to hear the former personnel people admit they didn't prepare for Aikman's exit. His departure from the team didn't even cross their minds.

And seeing Campo in that press conference...wow, not to mention Jerry's used car salesman wink, smile and point.

I'm at a loss at the utter lack of talent at the management/ownership level during that time. Parcells was the cure.
the whole edifice of the team was rotten by the time BP came. He had to reorganize everything and especially the scouting division (one of the first things he did was get rid of Lacewell which was paramount- then firing the bad scouts like Broaddus). And do all this while trying to keep Jerruh from interfering too much. (Though he still did with moves like Eddie George and Peerless Price)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

It's obvious they weren't prepared because had they known the end was coming for Aikman Jerry wouldn't have traded two #1's for Joey Galloway prior to the 2000 season. That trade was all about pairing him with Aikman and they only ended up playing one game together.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

I know - I feel the same way about both Camp and Jerry looking back. Campo was the ultimate company guy and I respect that but he simply was not head coach material and Jerry just had the huckster aura. Thank god he finally grew up.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
just irks you off that they can say we didnt aniticpate the end. How can you do that??? gah

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Jerry's problem was he got success too fast, not that what happened was a bad thing since three Super Bowls were the end result. Not that he's dumb, meddling, or arrogant. He just had misconceptions that unfortunately lasted a little too long.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, trading away multiple 1st rounders was epically dumb .
That alone kept them from getting Brees...assuming they liked Brees.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched it last night on the Cowboys website. Amazing video. And I love the insight into the FO's mindset during that time period

lwehlers

Reaction score
great story. I am so glad that lacewell is not with the front office anymore. he was one of the main reasons for downfall of the team after the superbowl years.

StylisticS

Reaction score
great story. I am so glad that lacewell is not with the front office anymore. he was one of the main reasons for downfall of the team after the superbowl years.
Was going to come in here and say the same thing. Man that 2000-2002 era was just depressing. Especially 2002 and losing to an expansion team and how we were basically Philadelphia's little toy during that era.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Awesome documentary. I used to hate Carter back then. But after seeing that he's being human I kinda feel sorry for him.

Its ironic that we didn't find a viable replacement for Aikman back then and we ended up reaching for Carter. Well aren't we in the same predicament with Romo? Hope that history doesn't repeat itself.

Dodger12

Reaction score

Well, he's back and is one of Jerry's confidants. We can thank him for Monte Kiffin and lord knows who else.......