Video: Star Crossed: The Carter-Romo Story

Bluefin

Reaction score
That is funny that Woody and Parcells both knew. Thank god Parcells also knew enough to not start him so early because even Romo sounds like he knew he wasn't ready.

It wasn't in the story, they left plenty out, which may or may not be in part two, but Sean Payton wanted to start Tony Romo from the outset as a rookie.

Bill Parcells was never going to do that, thank goodness.

I've heard stories about Romo being difficult for the #1 defense in practice, but never that Darren Woodson told the QB and Parcells he was by far the best signal caller on the team at the time.

On a recent episode of Talkin' Cowboys, Mickey Spagnola mentioned that the veteran LBs on the team in '03, Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen, hated practicing against Romo because he was immediately so good at looking them off.

Spags said Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson never did that, they would stare down their targets all the time.

In the past, I've heard Bryan Broaddus on the radio recall the draft room in 2001.

He said Jerry Jones ordered everyone out of the room except Larry Lacewell before the Carter selection was made and that the scouts wanted ILB Kendrell Bell.

It's not surprising Broaddus didn't mention that nugget, and perhaps wasn't allowed to, but I've heard the story a couple of time along with the great debate in '98, Randy Moss vs Greg Ellis.

Broaddus said the room was split and became very heated, in the end, Jerry sided with his new head coach, Chan Gailey, any passed on drafting Moss.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The coaching staff made light of the team's unpreparedness for Troy's premature retirement. Troy's backups were Randall Cunningham, Clint Stoerner, and Anthony Wright.

Fast forward to now ... we're in the same exact situation. Weeden is Cunningham. Vaughn is Stoerner. Showers is Wright.

Quite eerie if you ask me.

At least we have our 1st round pick for next draft. If need be for qb.

cej757

Reaction score
Who knows what would have happened? The drafting was so poor back then, we'd probably have missed out on Drew Brees and landed QC anyway.

I remember watching ESPN News back in the day and Dennis Green was on and he said that if the Cowboys passed on Quincy Carter they were gonna take him with their next pick. He said he wanted someone that could back up Dante Culpepper at the time and they really liked Carter.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It wasn't in the story, they left plenty out, which may or may not be in part two, but Sean Payton wanted to start Tony Romo from the outset as a rookie.

Bill Parcells was never going to do that, thank goodness.

I've heard stories about Romo being difficult for the #1 defense in practice, but never that Darren Woodson told the QB and Parcells he was by far the best signal caller on the team at the time.

On a recent episode of Talkin' Cowboys, Mickey Spagnola mentioned that the veteran LBs on the team in '03, Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen, hated practicing against Romo because he was immediately so good at looking them off.

Spags said Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson never did that, they would stare down their targets all the time.

In the past, I've heard Bryan Broaddus on the radio recall the draft room in 2001.

He said Jerry Jones ordered everyone out of the room except Larry Lacewell before the Carter selection was made and that the scouts wanted ILB Kendrell Bell.

It's not surprising Broaddus didn't mention that nugget, and perhaps wasn't allowed to, but I've heard the story a couple of time along with the great debate in '98, Randy Moss vs Greg Ellis.

Broaddus said the room was split and became very heated, in the end, Jerry sided with his new head coach, Chan Gailey, any passed on drafting Moss.

Yea, not sure why Broddous gets such a bad rap around here, when it's common knowledge that the biggest blounders we made in this time period were moves where Jerry did not listen to scouts.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Carter had flashes initially that really made me think he could be a top tier QB. But after he got playing time it was clear he would never have the work ethic or passing accuracy to be anything other than a middle of the pack guy (when he was motivated).

The story completely glossed over the fact that Bruce Coslet didn't like Quincy Carter and wanted Chad Hutchinson to be the starting quarterback.

Coslet went so far as to start Hutch in the pre-season dress rehearsal instead of Carter and even lied afterwords about always doing that with his #2 QB.

Carter wasn't mentally tough enough to handle the situation and, as it turned out, being a NFL QB long term

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Had the team not traded away its first round pick in the Joey Galloway deal, would it have meant trading up for Michael Vick in 2001?

Or stay put at #9 overall and select Drew Brees, who was the top pick in round two (32nd overall)?

Would they have tried trading down, if possible, to select Brees?

That's a scary thought

windjc

Reaction score
I don't understand why they choose to make a Carter-Romo story. Its two completely different stories. It would have been a better documentary if it has focused on all the poor Y2K QBs and Romo. Showing all the failures of big names like Leaf and Bledsoe jutxatposed to the success of this kid from Wisconsin.

Bluefin

Reaction score
great story. I am so glad that lacewell is not with the front office anymore. he was one of the main reasons for downfall of the team after the superbowl years.

Larry Lacewell was one of Jimmy Johnson's guys and I don't believe a lot of the problems were necessarily his fault.

When Jimmy was fired/quit, there was suddenly no one in the organization that would stand up to Jerry Jones.

ILB Kendrell Bell was the BPA in 2001 but Jerry decided to trade around in round two and send in Quincy Carter's name.

The board wasn't wrong, Jerry simply didn't follow it because he needed a quarterback.

Stephen Jones wasn't an equal voice with Jerry at that time, though the two did nearly come to blows when the son couldn't talk the father out of signing Deion Sanders in 1995.

Stephen really seemed to come into his own after Bill Parcells was hired.

If the Big Tuna couldn't convince Jerry on a particular course of action, he would reportedly then go to Stephen and try to convince him so as to attack Jerry from another direction.

By 2009, Stephen was able to convince Jerry parting ways with Terrell Owens was the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Bluefin

Reaction score
Parcells almost signed Jake Delhomme but they couldn't agree on the signing bonus and he ended up signing with Carolina in 2003.

That's right!

And it wasn't much money, like $250K or $$500K, so far as I remember.

Bluefin

Reaction score
That's a scary thought

Michael Vick, yes.

Drew Brees would have been awesome, provided the team wanted to draft him.

And what might have been in 2000, if not for the Joey Galloway trade?

Seattle selected Shaun Alexander but I doubt Dallas would have.

WR Sylvester Morris?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I don't understand why they choose to make a Carter-Romo story. Its two completely different stories. It would have been a better documentary if it has focused on all the poor Y2K QBs and Romo. Showing all the failures of big names like Leaf and Bledsoe jutxatposed to the success of this kid from Wisconsin.

Well, Carter was considered a pretty big deal...as said he was considered a Heisman candidate after his soph year and he pretty much had the easy route to the pros while Romo toiled in obscurity.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The coaching staff made light of the team's unpreparedness for Troy's premature retirement. Troy's backups were Randall Cunningham, Clint Stoerner, and Anthony Wright.

Fast forward to now ... we're in the same exact situation. Weeden is Cunningham. Vaughn is Stoerner. Showers is Wright.

Quite eerie if you ask me.
Cunningham was far more accomplished than anything we have now.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FYI....trying to help here;
You just lumped Drew Bledsoe with Ryan freaking Leaf.
I sure was that some kind of accident.

Maybe you just remember the old guy at the end of his career? Or maybe you got the guy who threw for > 44,600 career yards (10th in NFL history) with someone else.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
The story completely glossed over the fact that Bruce Coslet didn't like Quincy Carter and wanted Chad Hutchinson to be the starting quarterback.

Sure, but I wasn't going from the story but from memory. Carter had flashes, there was a preseason game against the Raiders in his rookie year where Carter had a drive late in the game to win it that was dazzling. All the skills, great execution, he really liked like a guy with that intangible quality of willing a team win.

Like you said, Carter was the classic Million Dollar Airport with a ten cent control tower.

windjc

Reaction score
FYI....trying to help here;
You just lumped Drew Bledsoe with Ryan freaking Leaf.
I sure was that some kind of accident.

Maybe you just remember the old guy at the end of his career? Or maybe you got the guy who threw for > 44,600 career yards (10th in NFL history) with someone else.

Bledsoe was a failure in Dallas. He also got replaced by another long shot in Brady. So he could have fit nicely into the narrative I suggested.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bledsoe was a failure in Dallas. He also got replaced by another long shot in Brady. So he could have fit nicely into the narrative I suggested.

Well, the old dude in Dallas, I guess. I mean, he was in his 14 the season...which is astounding.
Otherwise, calling Drew Bledsoe a huge career failure is about as far off as one can get.

Ryan Leaf? Heck yeah

Anyway....I've already said too much. No big deal, I guess.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Michael Vick, yes.

Drew Brees would have been awesome, provided the team wanted to draft him.

And what might have been in 2000, if not for the Joey Galloway trade?

Seattle selected Shaun Alexander but I doubt Dallas would have.

WR Sylvester Morris?

Yea, we would have blown the pick, almost sure of it. Maybe Ahmad Plummer who looks like he had a decent career (very short, maybe ended by injury?), but I doubt we were shrewd enough to draft Shaun Alexander, who I never personally liked, but would have gave us a young elite RB.