Video: Star Crossed: The Carter-Romo Story

Eddie

Reaction score
Didn't the Jets offer a 2nd for Romo? I thought we were crazy for not taking it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Didn't the Jets offer a 2nd for Romo? I thought we were crazy for not taking it.

I'm glad the Cowboys did not take that offer! I heard that last year, if Romo would have completed just one more pass (i think that is what they were saying) or maybe it was not throw just one less pick, he would have been only the 6th player in NFL History to complete 70% of his passes. That is some damn good QB'ing right there!

Oh, and it was Romo's first game against the 49'ers where he lost that record by throwing 3 ints.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
That was one of the best features I have seen. Great insight. People will laugh at this but I still think Carter could have been a decent QB minus the weed. I hope we hear more about the real story of how the end came for him. Very interesting to hear Romo's evaluation of himself compared the guys that were drafted ahead of him.

Eddie

Reaction score
That was one of the best features I have seen. Great insight. People will laugh at this but I still think Carter could have been a decent QB minus the weed. I hope we hear more about the real story of how the end came for him. Very interesting to hear Romo's evaluation of himself compared the guys that were drafted ahead of him.

BP just didn't see any future with QC. You can't rely on unreliable people. I think QC would have had a good career as a backup and lengthened his NFL stay. He had a shot with the Jets, but he blew it there as well.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
BP just didn't see any future with QC. You can't rely on unreliable people. I think QC would have had a good career as a backup and lengthened his NFL stay. He had a shot with the Jets, but he blew it there as well.

I agree that Carter's downfall was Carter. It seems to come across from Carter himself that he was his own worst enemy. And the thing that has made Romo what he is is something that you can't teach. Romo sees the whole field and processes it just like a great point guard sees the whole court.

Eddie

Reaction score
The coaching staff made light of the team's unpreparedness for Troy's premature retirement. Troy's backups were Randall Cunningham, Clint Stoerner, and Anthony Wright.

Fast forward to now ... we're in the same exact situation. Weeden is Cunningham. Vaughn is Stoerner. Showers is Wright.

Quite eerie if you ask me.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That was excellent. I sure miss Parcells pressers. I learned more listening to everyone of them than from any other avenue.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
That is funny that Woody and Parcells both knew. Thank god Parcells also knew enough to not start him so early because even Romo sounds like he knew he wasn't ready.

cej757

Reaction score
Carter was better than some fans give him credit for. I still remember some plays that he and Antonio Bryant hooked up on for td's.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Its ironic that we didn't find a viable replacement for Aikman back then and we ended up reaching for Carter. Well aren't we in the same predicament with Romo? Hope that history doesn't repeat itself.

Had the team not traded away its first round pick in the Joey Galloway deal, would it have meant trading up for Michael Vick in 2001?

Or stay put at #9 overall and select Drew Brees, who was the top pick in round two (32nd overall)?

Would they have tried trading down, if possible, to select Brees?

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's amazing to hear the former personnel people admit they didn't prepare for Aikman's exit. His departure from the team didn't even cross their minds.

There was a rumor back then that I believe, that Norv Turner made a big play for Aikman and Aikman pushed for his release so he could join Norv in his new position in San Diego. The rumor was that after all that, the SD ownership backed out and Aikman was hung out to dry, and promptly retired.

Eddie

Reaction score
Had the team not traded away its first round pick in the Joey Galloway deal, would it have meant trading up for Michael Vick in 2001?

Or stay put at #9 overall and select Drew Brees, who was the top pick in round two (32nd overall)?

Would they have tried trading down, if possible, to select Brees?

Who knows what would have happened? The drafting was so poor back then, we'd probably have missed out on Drew Brees and landed QC anyway.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That was one of the best features I have seen. Great insight. People will laugh at this but I still think Carter could have been a decent QB minus the weed.

Carter had flashes initially that really made me think he could be a top tier QB. But after he got playing time it was clear he would never have the work ethic or passing accuracy to be anything other than a middle of the pack guy (when he was motivated).

FWIW because its a "guy in a bar story" but I met a guy (in a bar...) several years ago that was good friends with all the players at UGA when Quincy was there. His best friend was one of the DL that played pro ball. He had a lot of good friends on the team but said Quincy was unbelievably arrogant and obnoxious.