Star Wars Force Awakens SPOILER Thread - Don't Click If You Haven't Seen!

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
Do not click on this thread if you have not seen the film! Ahead are my thoughts and they are FULLLLLLL of SPOILERS!!!

I ADORED this film.

I actually knew Han was going to die prior to watching it. It upset me when I found out because I felt like Oh, Great, they just want the new kids to have the spotlight and apparently all older people just die in Star Wars (see Obi Wan/Yoda/Qui Gon/Vader-Anakin et al) BUT when I watched the scene.... he wasn't killed off. He was MURDERED defenseless by his son. Morte D'Arthur.... it was heartbreaking and right and still preserved his dignity and his 'power'. I didn't know Kylo was his son; only that he was going to die.

Anyway, I thought it was a Magnificient marriage of old and new. I didn't WANT too much new too fast. I hate when TV shows and franchises shove new characters down my throat expecting me to care about them. JJ brought them along so flawlessly and seamlessly that I cared before I knew I cared.

The thing this movie had that the prequels didn't and MOST EVERY ACTION MOVIE that's come out in the past 15 years is also lacking IMO..... is CHARM. It was CHARMING. It was delightful and witty and that balanced the depth and the action and made it real.

I saw Return of the Jedi 13 times in the theatre as a girl so I'm not a casual fan, granted. But I'll tell you, when I saw that light saber leap into Rey's hand I got the chills. It was amazing. I know some people have issues with her being "force savvy" right away. However, I think that the flashbacks, imo, seem to denote that she was Luke's secret child AND trained by him. there were too many moments when she just LOOKED at Kylo and seemed to "remember". And why did Kylo say, "WHAT girl??" and the bar owner Maz.... "Who's the girl?" and they cut away. I think she was trained and the memories repressed by a Jedi mind wipe. He powered R2D2 down, he could wipe the memories of a child or repress them, somehow. She did wax a little Little Orphan Annie lol! My parents are coming back for me. Thought she's break into singing "Maybe far away.....!"

Anyway, again I think that when Kylo went bad, Luke or her mother dumped her off in proximity to the Millenium Falcon, interestingly enough, so that she could not be corrupted. Look at what she was wearing as a kid - it's Jedi color lol. Padawan looking. Anyway, that's why her "quickness" at picking up the Force wasn't annoying to me. But, hey, Luke blew up the death star after a day or two of force training with Ben Kenobi, yes? And LOVE that Kylo's real name is Ben.

I'll tell you when I burst into tears. I was teary when Han said he "knew" Luke, I was teary when Han died, but I burst into tears at the sight of Luke Skywalker. God, I've missed him. He was my childhood hero - period. The end. Aside from Staubach, that is. Lol. And to see him again was just gorgeous and such a gorgeous moment with him dreading being led back into the fray b/c clearly he feels he has failed.

And the cinematography - OMG. REAL sets are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than all that CGI muck in other films. Sorry, my opinion. And the last sequence in Ireland was lovely.

BB8 is ADORABLE and charming where Jar Jar was... jarrring.

The portrayal of Han and Leia was VERY true to who they are and how they would have handled losing their son. So gorgeous the interplay between them.

I loved Rey. I was worried I would dislike her b/c I hate over the top/caricature/badass women. I love that she was a badass AND feminine. She was emotional and she was brave and tough and she was tender and she was quick and fearful and .... just good for you, girl. But I should have expected nothing else from a British Actress. They're my favorite actors. The end. I'm excited to see her scenes with Luke.

I pray the killing is over for the original characters. If we lose Luke, I'll die myself.

I love there was a cantina scene

I loved the sequences with the Falcon

Only films where I TRULY CARE do I find myself "into" the action scenes. These were so fun to watch.

I think Luke stashed Rey away after all his other students were slaughtered by Kylo.

I don't think Finn's parents are important. I think he should just stand on his own and make his new friends his family.

Poe was irritating me at first but then I was okay with him. Hard to explain.

Lol at Admiral Akbar! Chewy was as awesome as ever.

He nailed it. I'm super pumped. And this is the reason I wanted to do movies my whole life. Too bad only about 20 percent of films are as good. Learned that the hard way. And my opinion only. But it's why I dropped out of the game...

Questions: Who on earth is the dude in the beginning that had Luke's map?

Also, who on earth is Snokes and where did his ugly giant self come from?

OH! And I LOVED Kylo's anger issues and his little hissy fits. That was hysterical and yet showed us how flawed he is.

I wish JJ was directing the next one ..... :(

Last edited:

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I am betting Snokes is Darth Plagueis mentioned by Palpatine in Episode III. Just a guess. I like your theory about Rey being Luke's daughter.

I wish I knew more about him. I'll have to research. But this would make sense to me more than some random baddie that was just chillin' while the Emperor ruled 30 years ago. lol.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I am not a huge Star Wars fan but loved them as a kid, and still enjoy the originals somewhat. I think this might be my favorite. In fact, if not for a lackluster score, I would say it definitely was.

There were some other small issues, or questions I have about the plot, but those may be dealt with in the future.

No idea who Snook is, or where he comes from, but I suspect that he is not really that big.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish I knew more about him. I'll have to research. But this would make sense to me more than some random baddie that was just chillin' while the Emperor ruled 30 years ago. lol.

He has a novel but its non canon now. As far as recurring characters I dont know who else Snoke could be other the Plagueis or a completely new character. Maybe he was a Sith from some obscure order that wasnt connected to the Banite order ( Rule of 2) or maybe he was Plagueis

Dodger12

Reaction score
I just saw SW tonight. It was decent and fun but I'm not sure it lived up to the hype or the SW canon. There's too many questions and shortcomings:

-How does Kylo Ren, who can stop laser blasts in mid air, lose a light saber duel with a relative novice.
-Speaking of Kylo Ren, why does he even wear a mask? I mean, he takes it off at the end but it's obviously a requirement to make him more menacing and Darth Vader like......except he's not.
-We hear about Luke who went into hiding because Ren betrayed him but we don't really get any further explanation to help develop the plot....and even then we see Luke at the end of the film but I really didn't see the urgency to finding him to give him his light saber.
-Luke was on a mission to train Jedi's but all that goes to hell when one turns. Count Doku turning didn't destroy the Jedi and I'd assume other Jedi turned to the Dark Side in SW cannon since turning to the dark side is a common theme in the previous movies but Kylo Ren turns and it all ends.
-The First Order has become this fighting force but no one can explain what happened to weaken the Republic or how they came to be the "resistance" once again.
-The major confrontation with the First Order to destroy the new Death Star had no battleships and just a handful of X-Wing fighters for the Republic.
-Using the force to retrieve a light saber stuck in the snow? Been there, done that.
-So Fin has been a Storm Trooper almost from birth and trained to be a fighter but he turns on the First Order after they kill the villagers. I guess the First Order became this huge fighting force, led by a wanna be Sith, whose aim is to take over the Galaxy but that didn't include killing anyone along the way.
-Attack the new Death Star to drop the shield so the Republic could attack....been there done that.

The show would have been better, IMO, if they'd start off with the rise of the First Order and Ren turning to the Dark Side. The story was just not developed enough nor were the characters for that matter. It's a remake of the original with some sprinklings of the first trilogy thrown in there. What made the original trilogy special is the story line and character development. There was nothing fresh or new about this film.

Rogah

Reaction score
I pray the killing is over for the original characters. If we lose Luke, I'll die myself.
I imagine we will see Luke become a Force Ghost like Obi-Wan one of these days.
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked him as a character.
My theory is that he was an Alderaanian, as he spoke of Leia saying "she'll always be royalty to me." Maybe he was a family friend or caretaker because he knew who Kylo Ren was, saying something along the lines of "you did not come from the Dark Side" or something like that.
And the cinematography - OMG. REAL sets are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than all that CGI muck in other films. Sorry, my opinion. And the last sequence in Ireland was lovely.
Yeah, this times 1,000. Real sets are so much better not only because they look more realistic, but because it gives the actors something to interact with.

Rogah

Reaction score
I don't think Snokes' background is going to be something we can research. It won't be published haphazardly in some Visual Encyclopedia somewhere or anything like that. We are going to have to wait until E8 and E9 to learn.

EDIT: I didn't realize you were talking about Plagueis. As mentioned above, his novel is no longer canon. However, the fact that he once existed is legit (as it was mentioned on screen) so there certainly may be a connection.

Rogah

Reaction score
-The First Order has become this fighting force but no one can explain what happened to weaken the Republic or how they came to be the "resistance" once again.
-The major confrontation with the First Order to destroy the new Death Star had no battleships and just a handful of X-Wing fighters for the Republic.
-Using the force to retrieve a light saber stuck in the snow? Been there, done that.
-Attack the new Death Star to drop the shield so the Republic could attack....been there done that.
Ya, these were my complaints too. I put them in another post in the other thread, but there was a lot of "been there done that" moments, as well as very poor explanations about the state of the galaxy.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
See below. I had to quote you and then put my answers in your quote. sorry for the crap formatting. So read the quote......

I just saw SW tonight. It was decent and fun but I'm not sure it lived up to the hype or the SW canon. There's too many questions and shortcomings:

-How does Kylo Ren, who can stop laser blasts in mid air, lose a light saber duel with a relative novice.

Because she's his equal or more in the Force combined with the flashback suggest she is not a complete novice but had some training.

-Speaking of Kylo Ren, why does he even wear a mask? I mean, he takes it off at the end but it's obviously a requirement to make him more menacing and Darth Vader like......except he's not.

His weird obsession which makes him... weird and thus intresting.

-We hear about Luke who went into hiding because Ren betrayed him but we don't really get any further explanation to help develop the plot....and even then we see Luke at the end of the film but I really didn't see the urgency to finding him to give him his light saber.

You don't see the urgency in finding the Last Jedi? And that everyone was desperate to find the map to find him? And that if your teaching turned your nephew to the darkside unleashing that into the world and hurting your sister and best friend in the process wouldn't make you want to to crawl into a hole and die.... Okay.

-Luke was on a mission to train Jedi's but all that goes to hell when one turns. Count Doku turning didn't destroy the Jedi and I'd assume other Jedi turned to the Dark Side in SW cannon since turning to the dark side is a common theme in the previous movies but Kylo Ren turns and it all ends.

If you look at the flashback there weren't that many of them and he kills them.

I'm guessing the remnants of the Empire were just looking for a leader and found one.

Huh?

So what. It's a trope. The audience figure it's going to Ren; It goes to Rey. Very Arthurian with Sword in the Stone. Literary tropes always made Star Wars. I don't find it passe

-So Fin has been a Storm Trooper almost from birth and trained to be a fighter but he turns on the First Order after they kill the villagers. I guess the First Order became this huge fighting force, led by a wanna be Sith, whose aim is to take over the Galaxy but that didn't include killing anyone along the way.

I read he was on a different detail prior to that expedition. So yes, there was killing. He wasn't involved in it.

Didn't bother me at all.

The show would have been better, IMO, if they'd start off with the rise of the First Order and Ren turning to the Dark Side. The story was just not developed enough nor were the characters for that matter. It's a remake of the original with some sprinklings of the first trilogy thrown in there. What made the original trilogy special is the story line and character development. There was nothing fresh or new about this film.

I think if they had done that it would have had the same result as the prequels. TOO MUCH EXPOSITION kills a story and bogs it down. We don't need all the answers right away. We didn't have them in the first place. The questions are what drives the story forward. And the characterization IMO was just enough to create empathy.

Well, guess we can agree to disagree and I TOTALLY disagree.

Dodger12

Reaction score
See below. I had to quote you and then put my answers in your quote. sorry for the crap formatting. So read the quote......

I think if they had done that it would have had the same result as the prequels. TOO MUCH EXPOSITION kills a story and bogs it down. We don't need all the answers right away. We didn't have them in the first place. The questions are what drives the story forward. And the characterization IMO was just enough to create empathy.

Well, guess we can agree to disagree and I TOTALLY disagree.

Sure we can disagree and that's cool but many of your responses to my post were nothing but assumptions and guesses. I was looking for plot development, not having to put my own spin on what I thought was the backstory.

jwithrowcpd

Reaction score
Saw the film tonight and man was it awesome to have Star Wars back in theatres one more time. I'm not going to doing any critiquing as most of the major points have been addressed.

My favorite part in the whole original trilogy was in ROTJ when Luke is hiding from Vader during the final battle. Then he screams No! and re-engages Vader one final time. That Saber duel with the passion and the music always gave me the chills.

When I was watching Rey being held down by Ren's saber, and then fight him off, I got the same chills. That scene brought me right back to ROTJ. Seeing Rey's passion combined with the music was mesmerizing to me. It was just like watching Luke and Vader.

And of course when Luke finally makes his debut, my God was that amazing. It was so good to see Luke on screen again. It made me realize just how much time has passed since we last saw him... 32 years!

Can't wait for the next one and to see where the story goes.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
You know what I woke up thinking about? Remember in the trailer when we here Maz say to someone, "I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people. I see your eyes. I KNOW your eyes." and they cut it from the film. I'm guessing it happened when she was talking to Rey in the cellar. Another indication she's Luke's child IMO however, Luke has blue eyes but then Leia his twin had brown...anyway...............

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The original IV - had more intamate moments.
Small sound stages and one on one. This was outside and with large groups.
Could they not afford to hire a few more Extras and get some more Pilots?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Do not click on this thread if you have not seen the film! Ahead are my thoughts and they are FULLLLLLL of SPOILERS!!!

I ADORED this film.

I actually knew Han was going to die prior to watching it. It upset me when I found out because I felt like Oh, Great, they just want the new kids to have the spotlight and apparently all older people just die in Star Wars (see Obi Wan/Yoda/Qui Gon/Vader-Anakin et al) BUT when I watched the scene.... he wasn't killed off. He was MURDERED defenseless by his son. Morte D'Arthur.... it was heartbreaking and right and still preserved his dignity and his 'power'. I didn't know Kylo was his son; only that he was going to die.

Anyway, I thought it was a Magnificient marriage of old and new. I didn't WANT too much new too fast. I hate when TV shows and franchises shove new characters down my throat expecting me to care about them. JJ brought them along so flawlessly and seamlessly that I cared before I knew I cared.

The thing this movie had that the prequels didn't and MOST EVERY ACTION MOVIE that's come out in the past 15 years is also lacking IMO..... is CHARM. It was CHARMING. It was delightful and witty and that balanced the depth and the action and made it real.

I saw Return of the Jedi 13 times in the theatre as a girl so I'm not a casual fan, granted. But I'll tell you, when I saw that light saber leap into Rey's hand I got the chills. It was amazing. I know some people have issues with her being "force savvy" right away. However, I think that the flashbacks, imo, seem to denote that she was Luke's secret child AND trained by him. there were too many moments when she just LOOKED at Kylo and seemed to "remember". And why did Kylo say, "WHAT girl??" and the bar owner Maz.... "Who's the girl?" and they cut away. I think she was trained and the memories repressed by a Jedi mind wipe. He powered R2D2 down, he could wipe the memories of a child or repress them, somehow. She did wax a little Little Orphan Annie lol! My parents are coming back for me. Thought she's break into singing "Maybe far away.....!"

Anyway, again I think that when Kylo went bad, Luke or her mother dumped her off in proximity to the Millenium Falcon, interestingly enough, so that she could not be corrupted. Look at what she was wearing as a kid - it's Jedi color lol. Padawan looking. Anyway, that's why her "quickness" at picking up the Force wasn't annoying to me. But, hey, Luke blew up the death star after a day or two of force training with Ben Kenobi, yes? And LOVE that Kylo's real name is Ben.

I'll tell you when I burst into tears. I was teary when Han said he "knew" Luke, I was teary when Han died, but I burst into tears at the sight of Luke Skywalker. God, I've missed him. He was my childhood hero - period. The end. Aside from Staubach, that is. Lol. And to see him again was just gorgeous and such a gorgeous moment with him dreading being led back into the fray b/c clearly he feels he has failed.

BB8 is ADORABLE and charming where Jar Jar was... jarrring.

The portrayal of Han and Leia was VERY true to who they are and how they would have handled losing their son. So gorgeous the interplay between them.

I loved Rey. I was worried I would dislike her b/c I hate over the top/caricature/badass women. I love that she was a badass AND feminine. She was emotional and she was brave and tough and she was tender and she was quick and fearful and .... just good for you, girl. But I should have expected nothing else from a British Actress. They're my favorite actors. The end. I'm excited to see her scenes with Luke.

I love there was a cantina scene

I loved the sequences with the Falcon

Only films where I TRULY CARE do I find myself "into" the action scenes. These were so fun to watch.

I think Luke stashed Rey away after all his other students were slaughtered by Kylo.

I don't think Finn's parents are important. I think he should just stand on his own and make his new friends his family.

Lol at Admiral Akbar! Chewy was as awesome as ever.

He nailed it. I'm super pumped. And this is the reason I wanted to do movies my whole life. Too bad only about 20 percent of films are as good. Learned that the hard way. And my opinion only. But it's why I dropped out of the game...

Also, who on earth is Snokes and where did his ugly giant self come from?

OH! And I LOVED Kylo's anger issues and his little hissy fits. That was hysterical and yet showed us how flawed he is.

I wish JJ was directing the next one ..... :(

I haven't seen it yet and thoroughly enjoyed your take on the movie, spoilers included. I'm so psyched and cannot wait.

Enjoyable perspective. :)

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet and thoroughly enjoyed your take on the movie, spoilers included. I'm so psyched and cannot wait.

Enjoyable perspective. :)

But now your spoiled!!!! You should have waited to read it! lol!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But now your spoiled!!!! You should have waited to read it! lol!

Honestly this one isnt like ESB where spoilers will ruin the movie. The Solo death is the only thing really spoiler worthy, and you could see that happening a mile away.

To me it was very "Fellowship Of The Ring" where its intent seemed to be to prime you for the next two movies with just enough happening to keep you into it

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Really wanted to love this film, and a few moments had me almost tearful with happy nostalgia, but I thought there was Just something lacking.

That said, I really enjoyed other aspects of the film.

Love the Heroine, Rey. Loved Fin's character and Poe as well. I loved that the movie tried to incorporate humor as well.

Everything looked incredible-- absolutely incredible.

I'm ready for seconds.