Star Wars Force Awakens SPOILER Thread - Don't Click If You Haven't Seen!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Really wanted to love this film, and a few moments had me almost tearful with happy nostalgia, but I thought there was Just something lacking.

That said, I really enjoyed other aspects of the film.

Love the Heroine, Rey. Loved Fin's character and Poe as well. I loved that the movie tried to incorporate humor as well.

Everything looked incredible-- absolutely incredible.

I'm ready for seconds.

The score. It was really underwhelming. They should have incorporated more of the OTs music. Originality be damned.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
The score. It was really underwhelming. They should have incorporated more of the OTs music. Originality be damned.

You're the second person to say that. It wasn't until way later I thought the same thing. My biggest criticism are that and I thought Carrie Fisher's line delivery was a little stilted at times. But not enough to truly bug me. I'm going again to watch it Wednesday bc my mom wants to see it. lol. I'll see what more I notice

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet and thoroughly enjoyed your take on the movie, spoilers included. I'm so psyched and cannot wait.

Enjoyable perspective. :)

Agreed. I've read several books first that were later made into movies and never considered the movie spoiled for me. The leaks that get out do not ruin the movie IMO. Didn't everyone already know Ford would not be in the cast of the next two movies? It's only common sense why that is.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're the second person to say that. It wasn't until way later I thought the same thing. My biggest criticism are that and I thought Carrie Fisher's line delivery was a little stilted at times. But not enough to truly bug me. I'm going again to watch it Wednesday bc my mom wants to see it. lol. I'll see what more I notice

When I first saw her in this movie I asked myself, "why did they replace her with a drag queen?". That rough voice is new to the story.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Originality. That was my beef

I think that was it. Basically the blue print was the same as episode 4.

Lonely character on a desolate planet who dreams of adventure, finds it by boarding the millennium falcon, mentor (although brief) sacrificed killed by main villain (Han/Obi Wan), finds the force.

Then basically the redo of the Death Star, a rescue mission on the Death Star, how the Death Star (or star killer, this round) was destroyed.

A lot of parallels that paid homage to the original film, but at some point you just want to see something original.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Do not click on this thread if you have not seen the film! Ahead are my thoughts and they are FULLLLLLL of SPOILERS!!!

I ADORED this film.

I actually knew Han was going to die prior to watching it. It upset me when I found out because I felt like Oh, Great, they just want the new kids to have the spotlight and apparently all older people just die in Star Wars (see Obi Wan/Yoda/Qui Gon/Vader-Anakin et al) BUT when I watched the scene.... he wasn't killed off. He was MURDERED defenseless by his son. Morte D'Arthur.... it was heartbreaking and right and still preserved his dignity and his 'power'. I didn't know Kylo was his son; only that he was going to die.

Anyway, I thought it was a Magnificient marriage of old and new. I didn't WANT too much new too fast. I hate when TV shows and franchises shove new characters down my throat expecting me to care about them. JJ brought them along so flawlessly and seamlessly that I cared before I knew I cared.

The thing this movie had that the prequels didn't and MOST EVERY ACTION MOVIE that's come out in the past 15 years is also lacking IMO..... is CHARM. It was CHARMING. It was delightful and witty and that balanced the depth and the action and made it real.

I saw Return of the Jedi 13 times in the theatre as a girl so I'm not a casual fan, granted. But I'll tell you, when I saw that light saber leap into Rey's hand I got the chills. It was amazing. I know some people have issues with her being "force savvy" right away. However, I think that the flashbacks, imo, seem to denote that she was Luke's secret child AND trained by him. there were too many moments when she just LOOKED at Kylo and seemed to "remember". And why did Kylo say, "WHAT girl??" and the bar owner Maz.... "Who's the girl?" and they cut away. I think she was trained and the memories repressed by a Jedi mind wipe. He powered R2D2 down, he could wipe the memories of a child or repress them, somehow. She did wax a little Little Orphan Annie lol! My parents are coming back for me. Thought she's break into singing "Maybe far away.....!"

Anyway, again I think that when Kylo went bad, Luke or her mother dumped her off in proximity to the Millenium Falcon, interestingly enough, so that she could not be corrupted. Look at what she was wearing as a kid - it's Jedi color lol. Padawan looking. Anyway, that's why her "quickness" at picking up the Force wasn't annoying to me. But, hey, Luke blew up the death star after a day or two of force training with Ben Kenobi, yes? And LOVE that Kylo's real name is Ben.

I'll tell you when I burst into tears. I was teary when Han said he "knew" Luke, I was teary when Han died, but I burst into tears at the sight of Luke Skywalker. God, I've missed him. He was my childhood hero - period. The end. Aside from Staubach, that is. Lol. And to see him again was just gorgeous and such a gorgeous moment with him dreading being led back into the fray b/c clearly he feels he has failed.

And the cinematography - OMG. REAL sets are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than all that CGI muck in other films. Sorry, my opinion. And the last sequence in Ireland was lovely.

BB8 is ADORABLE and charming where Jar Jar was... jarrring.

The portrayal of Han and Leia was VERY true to who they are and how they would have handled losing their son. So gorgeous the interplay between them.

I loved Rey. I was worried I would dislike her b/c I hate over the top/caricature/badass women. I love that she was a badass AND feminine. She was emotional and she was brave and tough and she was tender and she was quick and fearful and .... just good for you, girl. But I should have expected nothing else from a British Actress. They're my favorite actors. The end. I'm excited to see her scenes with Luke.

I pray the killing is over for the original characters. If we lose Luke, I'll die myself.

I love there was a cantina scene

I loved the sequences with the Falcon

Only films where I TRULY CARE do I find myself "into" the action scenes. These were so fun to watch.

I think Luke stashed Rey away after all his other students were slaughtered by Kylo.

I don't think Finn's parents are important. I think he should just stand on his own and make his new friends his family.

Poe was irritating me at first but then I was okay with him. Hard to explain.

Lol at Admiral Akbar! Chewy was as awesome as ever.

He nailed it. I'm super pumped. And this is the reason I wanted to do movies my whole life. Too bad only about 20 percent of films are as good. Learned that the hard way. And my opinion only. But it's why I dropped out of the game...

Questions: Who on earth is the dude in the beginning that had Luke's map?

Also, who on earth is Snokes and where did his ugly giant self come from?

OH! And I LOVED Kylo's anger issues and his little hissy fits. That was hysterical and yet showed us how flawed he is.

I wish JJ was directing the next one ..... :(

The Han death scene was done ok. Not great.
Merge of Old and new was ok. Some chemistry.
Yes, there was some charm. Some forced attempts.

Rey and light saber force pull was great. Her fighting skills against Ren. Come on. Luke had some training and still lost a hand.

Ok maybe your theory is right. I don't know.

Millennium falcon stolen and stolen again and hasn't run in years then it runs and Rey is all knowing about it.

Han and Luke knowing each other. There was something there...

Cinematography was awesome.

Kylo Ren and cutting up the ship. Friggin stupid!!
His character was the weakest of the bunch. Hope he's dead. Although I know he is not.

I AM SOOOOOO GLAD JJ ABRAMS IS NOT DIRECTING NEXT ONE. NO IMAGINATION. HE STEALS AND REGURGITATES.

I just saw SW tonight. It was decent and fun but I'm not sure it lived up to the hype or the SW canon. There's too many questions and shortcomings:

-How does Kylo Ren, who can stop laser blasts in mid air, lose a light saber duel with a relative novice.
-Speaking of Kylo Ren, why does he even wear a mask? I mean, he takes it off at the end but it's obviously a requirement to make him more menacing and Darth Vader like......except he's not.
-We hear about Luke who went into hiding because Ren betrayed him but we don't really get any further explanation to help develop the plot....and even then we see Luke at the end of the film but I really didn't see the urgency to finding him to give him his light saber.
-Luke was on a mission to train Jedi's but all that goes to hell when one turns. Count Doku turning didn't destroy the Jedi and I'd assume other Jedi turned to the Dark Side in SW cannon since turning to the dark side is a common theme in the previous movies but Kylo Ren turns and it all ends.
-The First Order has become this fighting force but no one can explain what happened to weaken the Republic or how they came to be the "resistance" once again.
-The major confrontation with the First Order to destroy the new Death Star had no battleships and just a handful of X-Wing fighters for the Republic.
-Using the force to retrieve a light saber stuck in the snow? Been there, done that.
-So Fin has been a Storm Trooper almost from birth and trained to be a fighter but he turns on the First Order after they kill the villagers. I guess the First Order became this huge fighting force, led by a wanna be Sith, whose aim is to take over the Galaxy but that didn't include killing anyone along the way.
-Attack the new Death Star to drop the shield so the Republic could attack....been there done that.

The show would have been better, IMO, if they'd start off with the rise of the First Order and Ren turning to the Dark Side. The story was just not developed enough nor were the characters for that matter. It's a remake of the original with some sprinklings of the first trilogy thrown in there. What made the original trilogy special is the story line and character development. There was nothing fresh or new about this film.

All good points and questions.
There is so much canon/extended universe story/stories. They should have gone there.

I loved the movie. All the new characters were great and the old ones too. The only complaint I had was I wanted to see Chewey and Leia hug after Han's death.

Yup!

Han, Leia and Chewy were the triplets. How do you know have one of the following scenes?

- chewy, where's Han? Chewy moans, she hugs.
- chewy comes off ship and approaches her.

Something.
I can't believe JJ got me again. First Star Trek and now star wars.

Rogah

Reaction score
I think if they had done that it would have had the same result as the prequels. TOO MUCH EXPOSITION kills a story and bogs it down. We don't need all the answers right away.
We don't need all the answers right away, but it sure would be nice if it made some sense.
You would think the Republic would go after Starkiller Base with every ship they had, not a dozen x-wings. There is a strange throwaway line in the movie about not having a fleet. Whuh huh whuh??!?? How does that make sense after E6? And what the heck were the planets which were destroyed? It would have made sense to have explained those things a bit.

(Explaining the above in some book somewhere does not count - if it's not in the movie, then it's a shortfall of the movie)

Rogah

Reaction score
You know what I woke up thinking about? Remember in the trailer when we here Maz say to someone, "I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people. I see your eyes. I KNOW your eyes." and they cut it from the film. I'm guessing it happened when she was talking to Rey in the cellar. Another indication she's Luke's child IMO however, Luke has blue eyes but then Leia his twin had brown...anyway...............
I don't think that line appeared in any of the trailers. However, she does say something very similar to Finn when they are seated at that table, so I think that is what you are thinking of.

Rogah

Reaction score
When I first saw her in this movie I asked myself, "why did they replace her with a drag queen?". That rough voice is new to the story.
Too much plastic surgery for the actress. She wanted to look young but sacrificed the ability to actually, you know, show emotion with her face.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Agreed. I've read several books first that were later made into movies and never considered the movie spoiled for me. The leaks that get out do not ruin the movie IMO. Didn't everyone already know Ford would not be in the cast of the next two movies? It's only common sense why that is.

He's too damn old as it is.

Ford < Romo

cml750

Reaction score
I enjoyed it a lot. I don't really understand some of the disappointment in this thread but what do I know, I loved the prequel trilogy too and according to some they were absolutely terrible. Maybe I am just a sucker for anything Star Wars. Are there some things I might have done differently if I was in charge?? Sure, but come on people, we have yet another installment of the greatest movie series ever created with more to come!!!

Rant over!!!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I just saw SW tonight. It was decent and fun but I'm not sure it lived up to the hype or the SW canon. There's too many questions and shortcomings:

-How does Kylo Ren, who can stop laser blasts in mid air, lose a light saber duel with a relative novice.
-Speaking of Kylo Ren, why does he even wear a mask? I mean, he takes it off at the end but it's obviously a requirement to make him more menacing and Darth Vader like......except he's not.
-We hear about Luke who went into hiding because Ren betrayed him but we don't really get any further explanation to help develop the plot....and even then we see Luke at the end of the film but I really didn't see the urgency to finding him to give him his light saber.
-Luke was on a mission to train Jedi's but all that goes to hell when one turns. Count Doku turning didn't destroy the Jedi and I'd assume other Jedi turned to the Dark Side in SW cannon since turning to the dark side is a common theme in the previous movies but Kylo Ren turns and it all ends.
-The First Order has become this fighting force but no one can explain what happened to weaken the Republic or how they came to be the "resistance" once again.
-The major confrontation with the First Order to destroy the new Death Star had no battleships and just a handful of X-Wing fighters for the Republic.
-Using the force to retrieve a light saber stuck in the snow? Been there, done that.
-So Fin has been a Storm Trooper almost from birth and trained to be a fighter but he turns on the First Order after they kill the villagers. I guess the First Order became this huge fighting force, led by a wanna be Sith, whose aim is to take over the Galaxy but that didn't include killing anyone along the way.
-Attack the new Death Star to drop the shield so the Republic could attack....been there done that.

The show would have been better, IMO, if they'd start off with the rise of the First Order and Ren turning to the Dark Side. The story was just not developed enough nor were the characters for that matter. It's a remake of the original with some sprinklings of the first trilogy thrown in there. What made the original trilogy special is the story line and character development. There was nothing fresh or new about this film.

gonna have to say - i agree quite a bit. i found myself overlooking a lot to want to love it vs. love it for what it was.

punchnjudy

Reaction score

Yeah, the lack of originality bothered me a lot. If they had called it a remake, then I would have been cool with it, but...

Wish they had gone the TV show route, as I think there's interesting material to work with in a longer format. Movies are so 90's.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
and can someone tell me how luke knew to be on that rock to meet who i think is his daughter?

the soap opera seems strong in this one...

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
We don't need all the answers right away, but it sure would be nice if it made some sense.
You would think the Republic would go after Starkiller Base with every ship they had, not a dozen x-wings. There is a strange throwaway line in the movie about not having a fleet. Whuh huh whuh??!?? How does that make sense after E6? And what the heck were the planets which were destroyed? It would have made sense to have explained those things a bit.

(Explaining the above in some book somewhere does not count - if it's not in the movie, then it's a shortfall of the movie)

Those weren't extra planets; those were moons that were destroyed.

The Republic is not the same thing as the Resistance. I'm guessing we'll get the answers. Just doesn't bother me, I guess.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I enjoyed it a lot. I don't really understand some of the disappointment in this thread but what do I know, I loved the prequel trilogy too and according to some they were absolutely terrible. Maybe I am just a sucker for anything Star Wars. Are there some things I might have done differently if I was in charge?? Sure, but come on people, we have yet another installment of the greatest movie series ever created with more to come!!!

Rant over!!!

Same.

I don't watch a lot of films b/c I think they pretty much all suck. But if one watches a lot of films then maybe this isn't as edgy, plot-twisty, modern... I have no clue. But for me it hit all the right marks. For example, I hate Game of Thrones though I did love the books - which I started reading over 15 years ago. So I just think that the expectations from an audience used to a certain fare are higher or just different than they used to be and that's just life, I guess. I didn't go into this thinking I would like it as much so maybe it's about personal expectation too.