Twitter: Starting LG, Smith or McGovern?

slick325

Reaction score
I'm hoping the rookie wins the job. I think McGovern is good for depth but not a starter in the League. We know what he is...throw the rookie in and baptize him by fire.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Sydla

Reaction score
He beat him out the first time he lined up at LG.

The difference in their ability is drastic.

They have only kept him behind him so they can get him a ton of work in the preseason.

I tend to agree. I can't imagine Smith not starting but the point being is that when you have a strategy of basically bringing in bargain bin players in FA and you tell everyone you build through the draft, your first round pick has to start right from the start. That guy has to be an immediate impact player.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know but if Tyler was doing as well as we hope, I'm not sure we would even be talking about McG. But......lets keep in mind he has never played guard and was actually drafted to play T. Maybe our expectations are a bit high......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Smith_(American_football)

I don't think so. From all reports, and based on what we've seen in the preseason games, he's progressing exactly as one might have hoped. It would be shocking if he's not out there week 1.

We'll find out soon enough.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Busts, mental preparation. Coaches are more concerned with that. McGovern is has chemistry with the line. The guy has been here for 3 years. The last thing they want is Dak getting hit on a missed assignment.
If an assignment is missed up the middle that's on the center or QB for not communicating properly.

Just saying, you protect from the inside out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
On 1 hand Broaddus is suggesting the Cowboys prefer the guy they benched last year to an R1 pick they moved to LG specifically to shore up LG.
On the other you have common sense.

Perhaps TSmith isn't running with 1s specifically because they want him getting the game action in pre-season and starters sit?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Broaddus being Broaddus?

I think Tyler starts.
McGovern is getting playing time for a reason though.
And that reason is if Tyron Smith goes down, they move Tyler Smith to LT, and McGovern plays LG.

So you ask, why is Tyler not getting reps at LT. Well they want to see what Ball can still do. Also they want Tyler to maximize reps in games at LG.
Plus when the practice goes behind closed doors, when they install the real stuff, they may have Tyler take some reps at LT.
Just my guess.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
It has to be Smith. McGovern has proven to have limits on how good he can be. Smith has raw strength and athleticism with a very high ceiling and will only improve with more reps. He has the feel of a future All Pro LG. McGovern looks better on the right side backing up Martin.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is Broaddus being Broaddus?

I think Tyler starts.
McGovern is getting playing time for a reason though.
And that reason is if Tyron Smith goes down, they move Tyler Smith to LT, and McGovern plays LG.

So you ask, why is Tyler not getting reps at LT. Well they want to see what Ball can still do. Also they want Tyler to maximize reps in games at LG.
Plus when the practice goes behind closed doors, when they install the real stuff, they may have Tyler take some reps at LT.
Just my guess.

McCarthy made it clear they were giving Smith reps at LG after probably wasting too much time in OTAs having him play some OT.

If Smith isn't good enough or ready to start at LG, then he sure isn't ready to play LT if Tyron goes down despite having played OT in college. Let's not let the Jones' boys cover up their sheer failure at swing OT here. If they try to sell Tyler Smith as their swing OT option, it's BS. They are just trying to shift blame from their own roster screw up. Smith was taken to be their starting LG and eventually possibly swing out to OT in the future. He was never supposed to be their swing OT in 2022.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He's never played guard, so asking him to start game one and play at a high level, might be a bit much.
Good point. He will play though. I think the Cowboys will be run heavy early in the season. He will be the first lineman in when we play unbalanced line. It is disappointing but let’s not panic like the local talking heads are. LVE did not start until Lee got hurt. Then he played an All-Pro season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Has Tyler Smith done enough to start game one? Is it McGovern's job to lose?

I'm starting to believe we're going to let McGovern man the position to start the season because he's a vet and Smith is still learning the spot. We'll probably have a fairly quick hook on McGovern, though, so if he struggles at all, Smith will take over. Considering he'll be facing Vita Vea in the first game, that shouldn't take long.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy made it clear they were giving Smith reps at LG after probably wasting too much time in OTAs having him play some OT.

If Smith isn't good enough or ready to start at LG, then he sure isn't ready to play LT if Tyron goes down despite having played OT in college. Let's not let the Jones' boys cover up their sheer failure at swing OT here. If they try to sell Tyler Smith as their swing OT option, it's BS. They are just trying to shift blame from their own roster screw up. Smith was taken to be their starting LG and eventually possibly swing out to OT in the future. He was never supposed to be their swing OT in 2022.

As I said, just my guess. I been wrong before. :laugh:
Good points though.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm starting to believe we're going to let McGovern man the position to start the season because he's a vet and Smith is still learning the spot. We'll probably have a fairly quick hook on McGovern, though, so if he struggles at all, Smith will take over. Considering he'll be facing Vita Vea in the first game, that shouldn't take long.

Agree......physically we know he's ready. Mentally and technically not so sure......is he comfortable with OLine calls, what about the stunts and different defensive schemes?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Good point. He will play though. I think the Cowboys will be run heavy early in the season. He will be the first lineman in when we play unbalanced line. It is disappointing but let’s not panic like the local talking heads are. LVE did not start until Lee got hurt. Then he played an All-Pro season.

Right. It doesn't really mean that much right now if he doesn't start, other than the coaches feel that McGovern has improved enough that they are OK with him starting. We knew there would be a learning curve for Smith based on his holding problems in college. He has shown the power to dominate at guard, but there's nothing wrong with giving him a little more time to work on hand placement, etc., if they believe McGovern can handle the position.

Of course, the power Smith has shown might be why they have him in there from the start. If we want to run, he's shown that he's someone to run behind, even if he has some growing pains.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Agree......physically we know he's ready. Mentally and technically not so sure......is he comfortable with OLine calls, what about the stunts and different defensive schemes?

He's definitely going to make some mistakes, especially if he's thrown in there from the start. We can see that from the preseason games so far. So the question for this staff is whether his ability to move people is worth a few blown assignments and penalties. McGovern is more technically sound right now, but obviously isn't near as strong.

Jarntt

Reaction score
More proof Broaddus is clueless. Smith is the starter week 1 if healthy

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's definitely going to make some mistakes, especially if he's thrown in there from the start. We can see that from the preseason games so far. So the question for this staff is whether his ability to move people is worth a few blown assignments and penalties. McGovern is more technically sound right now, but obviously isn't near as strong.

Exactly.......not an easy answer though