1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

State of the Team

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,187 Messages
    102,649 Likes Received
    I was just eyeballing our roster on the team website and I wanted to break down the players to get a real sense of the state of the team before we flip over the couch cushions and enter FA like a wounded lamb.

This was done with an eye to the future. I put them into 6 categories.

Seniors: Quality players who are huge factors now but don't have much of a future with this team.
    Core: Established productive young (enough) players you can build around.
    Hopes: Young players who have the potential to work their way into the core.
    Role: Players who are limited but can be productive within a role on this team. Also any kickers.
    Bodies: Spare parts. Players who can make a roster but are easily replaceable.
    Flush: Players who either for a lack of talent or a poor contract, need to go now.

A few notes:

I batted around where to put Romo. He could be the QB here for another 5 or 6 years, making him core worthy. But he could also be playing his last couple of years in Dallas with that back. I'm playing it conservative and putting him in with the seniors.

I know most would put Brandon Carr among the core players. I am not one of those people. He's probably the single most over paid player in the league and I'd look to get out of that contract pronto. I could replace Brandon Carr in the 3rd round of this draft class.

Bernadeau is in with the role players. That role being a C/G backup. I like him there. I do not like him as a starting player.

Try not to hyperventilate over where I have Barry Church and/or Doug Free. To me, these guys are bad starters on a bad team. I actually think Church has talent but the game has evolved away from his strengths and exposes his weaknesses. He can not cover a route of ground like you need these days from your safeties. An in the box safety belongs in the Bodies list in today's NFL.

Yes, I expect DeMarcus Ware to remain a Cowboy but with his injuries the last couple of seasons I could not include him in any long term core of players.

No impending free agents with the exception of the exclusive rights FA Chris Jones. I did not include any practice squad players. I just didn't have time to break down all that talent.

If you disagree with any of these evaluations feel free to chime in and tell me why you're wrong.

Here is your state of the Dallas Cowboys. Peek through your fingers.

-

Seniors
    Tony Romo
    DeMarcus Ware
    Jason Witten

Core
    Dez Bryant
    Travis Frederick
    Sean Lee
    DeMarco Murray
    Orlando Scandrick
    Tyron Smith

Hopes
    Bruce Carter
    Morris Claiborne
    Tyrone Crawford
    Gavin Escobar
    DeVonte Holloman
    Ronald Leary
    B.W. Webb
    Kyle Wilber
    J.J. Wilcox
    Terrance Williams

Role
    Dan Bailey
    Cole Beasley
    Mackenzy Bernadeau
    Dwayne Harris
    L.P. Ladouceur
    Sterling Moore
    Kyle Orton
    George Selvie

Bodies
    Ben Bass
    Barry Church
    Tyler Clutts
    Lance Dunbar
    Justin Durant
    Doug Free
    James Hanna
    Chris Jones
    Jermey Parnell
    Joseph Randle
    Darrion Weems

Flush
    Miles Austin
    Brandon Carr
    Phil Costa
    Jakar Hamilton
    Nick Hayden
    Jeff Heath
    Matt Johnson
    Frank Kearse
    Cameron Lawrence
    Orie Lemon
    Martez Wilson

2. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,527 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Give this man his likes.

3. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Well-Known Member

1,906 Messages
    2,654 Likes Received
    Pretty spot on to me. Honest evaluation.

4. Section446

Section446 Well-Known Member

9,640 Messages
    7,528 Likes Received
    State of the team: PAIN.

Zordon and Gaede like this.
  5. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

14,645 Messages
    10,238 Likes Received
    state of emergency....with no cure!!

daveferr33 and Zordon like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

60,505 Messages
    63,528 Likes Received
    They may be Flush for you, but I think the ones in bold get stuck going down the hole and float back up.

7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

17,151 Messages
    11,091 Likes Received
    its just time to rebuild,its not the time to give Lee a big contract and its not a time to give a kicker one of the biggest contracts ever.its time Jerry realizes this because will will be mired in mediocrity and only the good play of Romo is helping us achieve even that.

8. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    I think people would argue that Barry Church was part of the core too. I am not one of them. I would like to see Carr with a pass rush. I don't think anyone could cover with as little pass rush as we had last year.

theSHOW, Boyzmamacita and zack like this.
  9. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member

3,252 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    Certainly isn't a bad list. I think the exercise itself is tough to do due to the roles other positions have in making an individuals position run correctly. Brandon Carr to me is more than a Flush player in terms of talent, but you can argue him in that spot based on the lack of pressure this team puts on opposing defenses. When they played teams like New York, Washington, and Philly where the D could harass the quarterback Carr was above average to great. When they played Denver, Detroit, and Chicago and the opposite was the case Carr was a disaster. But I think in terms of your premise you're correct, in the sense I'd rather have a JAG at corner and a 8M player on my defensive line than I would a JAG on DL and a 10M player in the secondary.

10. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

2,897 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    If it makes you feel any better about the kicker, the Jets just franchised Nick Folk at $3.4 million, or $800,000 less than what Bailey's going to make in 2014 and 2015 combined.

pancakeman likes this.
  11. Nova

Nova Ntegrase96

7,294 Messages
    7,862 Likes Received
    Not bad list

Why don't you like Bern as a starting player? He played as well as, if not better than the guy everyone was thrilled with early in the season, Brian Waters.

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  12. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

4,766 Messages
    4,368 Likes Received
    Church and Carr should be in the role category.

I'd even consider them for hope just because you've gotta hope that they can take a step towards core.

rkell87 likes this.
  13. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,245 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I don't fully agree with the list but your threads are much better than Romo2Dbag or whatever his name is.

So good job

[​IMG]

14. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

12,881 Messages
    6,230 Likes Received
    Good list, but I disagree on where you have Free, Church and Carr

15. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,527 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    LOL good picture.

16. Risen Star

58,187 Messages
    102,649 Likes Received
    Oh, most definitely. I was just giving my own take on it. How I and my chubby son would look at this roster if I struck oil years ago.

17. Risen Star

58,187 Messages
    102,649 Likes Received
    Because I don't trust him to do it over the course of a 16 game season. In fact, I think he was regressing late in the year.

18. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Well-Known Member

1,906 Messages
    2,654 Likes Received
    What would be the best way to get Jerry and his son to change their ways or to get them out of the picture?

19. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    I think Red and Jerry place a lot more value on some of those guys in the BODIES and FLUSH categories

daveferr33 likes this.
  20. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I could nit pick a few placements, but that's a pretty clear eyed and sober assessment.

Air Force One likes this.