State of the Team

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I think it is a fairly good list. I think Free and Church can be okay, but are definitely replaceable. And I think Dunbar could be a role player if he stays healthy and doesn't fumble.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
I think you are pretty spot on. Only thing I would question is Lee as a core player. I would put him in the Hope category. Obvious talent, but I "hope" to see him play a full season.

tm1119

Reaction score
I'd move Church to role and wouldn't flush Carr, but everthing else is pretty spot on.

That hopes category does not look all that hopefull by the way....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think you are pretty spot on. Only thing I would question is Lee as a core player. I would put him in the Hope category. Obvious talent, but I "hope" to see him play a full season.

I think he posted this thread for the likes.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I pretty much laugh when i see people say things like the game is evloving past Church's skills. He plays up closer to the LOS sorta like a 4th LBer role, You know typically what the tampa 2 asks for? Church's duties are to cover the flats which he does very well and hit the LOS to defend the run. Which his 130 tackles says he's very good at doing.

I think too many people dont know how this defense works and puts Church in blame for the high safety faults. You couldnt ask for anything more from a safety that was basically playing his first yr as a starting safety. A big question mark was put on Church because he had very little playing time. I think alot of CowboysZone scouts need to keep this in mind and actually know duties the players have on this defense before dismissing just how big of a season Church had.

Zordon

Reaction score
I'm glad you put Ben Bass in the bodies section. I don't understand why people overrate his ablity to contribute.

Questfor6

Reaction score
I'm glad you put Ben Bass in the bodies section. I don't understand why people overrate his ablity to contribute.

Should be in the flush section because he's the Dline version of Matt Johnson

tm1119

Reaction score
I pretty much laugh when i see people say things like the game is evloving past Church's skills. He plays up closer to the LOS sorta like a 4th LBer role, You know typically what the tampa 2 asks for? Church's duties are to cover the flats which he does very well and hit the LOS to defend the run. Which his 130 tackles says he's very good at doing.

I think too many people dont know how this defense works and puts Church in blame for the high safety faults. You couldnt ask for anything more from a safety that was basically playing his first yr as a starting safety. A big question mark was put on Church because he had very little playing time. I think alot of CowboysZone scouts need to keep this in mind and actually know duties the players have on this defense before dismissing just how big of a season Church had.

Church played most of his snaps at FS last year though.....

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I would move Baily a notch or two. He's a young player who is on top of his game and can potentially retire a Cowboy. As many close games as we play, he is pretty valuable.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I think Selvie has more but I'm ok with everything else. Romo. Who knows where he belongs.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Church played most of his snaps at FS last year though.....

Ok and who was playing signle high? Who was the one we saw game after game getting beat deep? Church's number is not 38. Just because the team had cbhurch listed as FS doesnt mean he was that single high. Because he wasnt.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Seniors: Quality players who are huge factors now but don't have much of a future with this team.
Core: Established productive young (enough) players you can build around.
Hopes: Young players who have the potential to work their way into the core.
Role: Players who are limited but can be productive within a role on this team. Also any kickers.
Bodies: Spare parts. Players who can make a roster but are easily replaceable.
Flush: Players who either for a lack of talent or a poor contract, need to go now.

Seniors
DeMarcus Ware

Core
Tony Romo- I think he has three years left and that's a contract at his age; not touching the restructures
Jason Witten- He's not a fast guy and I think he has another three years although I expect others to pick up some slack
Dez Bryant
Dan Bailey- has core as they get
Travis Frederick
Sean Lee- injuries make him undependable but I'd put him here for this year
DeMarco Murray- Not sure where he goes as I'm not certain we'll keep him due to cap costs; RBs are cheap unless elite and he's not
Orlando Scandrick- Tempted to move him to Senior because his lifespan here may be limited; he's solid not a playmaker
Tyron Smith

Hopes
Bruce Carter- I think he, Claiborne, Crawford, Escobar, Leary, Williams and Wilcox will graduate to core
Morris Claiborne
Tyrone Crawford
Gavin Escobar
DeVonte Holloman
Ronald Leary
B.W. Webb
Kyle Wilberf
J.J. Wilcox
Terrance Williams

Role
Cole Beasley- hopeful
Mackenzy Bernadeau- still on the fence but I suspect he'll be a core player this year; he could slip back into infamy though
Dwayne Harris- definitely at least hopeful and maybe core although if they draft a WR high he could remain here
L.P. Ladouceur- as core as they come
Sterling Moore
Kyle Orton
George Selvie- I'd move him to core as well

Bodies
Ben Bass- I think he will move to core
Barry Church- already hopeful
Tyler Clutts
Lance Dunbar- if healthy he is core
Justin Durant
Doug Free- Core
James Hanna
Chris Jones
Jermey Parnell- hopeful at least and could move to core
Joseph Randle- role and maybe hopeful but that could easily change with a unexpected UDFA or a draftee
Darrion Weems- Hopeful already

Flush
Miles Austin- not so sure; depends on his health and the draft maybe even FA
Brandon Carr- Core but only because we have no one else to play right now. Cutting him wouldn't bother me
Phil Costa
Jakar Hamilton- already role in spec pkages
Nick Hayden- hopeful barely
Jeff Heath- hopeful
Matt Johnson- TBD
Frank Kearse
Cameron Lawrence
Orie Lemon- role at best
Martez Wilson

That concludes this broadcast. This station is now off the air. This is jobberone......good day!

Bcrav4

Reaction score
I would move Baily a notch or two. He's a young player who is on top of his game and can potentially retire a Cowboy. As many close games as we play, he is pretty valuable.

I agree special teams is being underrated and Bailey is definitely a part of the core and so is maybe LP.

CoCo

Reaction score
Decent framework for analysis. And yes you can debate this or that player being placed elsewhere.

The real question though is what it takes in each category to be a contender.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I would probably put Free, Carr and Church in the 'hope' category, otherwise agreed in full. Free: hope he plays like he's done twice in his career; Carr: hope he plays like he's done for most of his career; Church: hope his skillset can translate enough to contribute.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I would probably put Free, Carr and Church in the 'hope' category, otherwise agreed in full. Free: hope he plays like he's done twice in his career; Carr: hope he plays like he's done for most of his career; Church: hope his skillset can translate enough to contribute.

Yeah, I would moves these three players at least to the Role Category. I would also move Murray down to Hope because at this point it's questionable whether he'll be resigned.

Two things that this evaluation shows for the draft: we need DL and we seriously need to start looking at QB's.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I think a kicker, by definition, is a role player.

This is certainly true. I get the logic of throwing kickers into this category. At the same time, kicker is an important role that Bailey is very good at.

He (and other kickers) could certainly be considered 'core' if one wanted to go about it that way. We've got the guy we need at an important position who is young enough (and now under contract) to be here for at least a few more, maybe several more, years. It's important enough to worry about and we don't have to worry about Bailey. That's kind of how I'm thinking of 'core' players.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I was just eyeballing our roster on the team website and I wanted to break down the players to get a real sense of the state of the team before we flip over the couch cushions and enter FA like a wounded lamb.

This was done with an eye to the future. I put them into 6 categories.

Seniors: Quality players who are huge factors now but don't have much of a future with this team.
Core: Established productive young (enough) players you can build around.
Hopes: Young players who have the potential to work their way into the core.
Role: Players who are limited but can be productive within a role on this team. Also any kickers.
Bodies: Spare parts. Players who can make a roster but are easily replaceable.
Flush: Players who either for a lack of talent or a poor contract, need to go now.

A few notes:

I batted around where to put Romo. He could be the QB here for another 5 or 6 years, making him core worthy. But he could also be playing his last couple of years in Dallas with that back. I'm playing it conservative and putting him in with the seniors.

I know most would put Brandon Carr among the core players. I am not one of those people. He's probably the single most over paid player in the league and I'd look to get out of that contract pronto. I could replace Brandon Carr in the 3rd round of this draft class.

Bernadeau is in with the role players. That role being a C/G backup. I like him there. I do not like him as a starting player.

Try not to hyperventilate over where I have Barry Church and/or Doug Free. To me, these guys are bad starters on a bad team. I actually think Church has talent but the game has evolved away from his strengths and exposes his weaknesses. He can not cover a route of ground like you need these days from your safeties. An in the box safety belongs in the Bodies list in today's NFL.

Yes, I expect DeMarcus Ware to remain a Cowboy but with his injuries the last couple of seasons I could not include him in any long term core of players.

No impending free agents with the exception of the exclusive rights FA Chris Jones. I did not include any practice squad players. I just didn't have time to break down all that talent.

If you disagree with any of these evaluations feel free to chime in and tell me why you're wrong.

Here is your state of the Dallas Cowboys. Peek through your fingers.

-

Seniors
Tony Romo
DeMarcus Ware
Jason Witten

Core
Dez Bryant
Travis Frederick
Sean Lee
DeMarco Murray
Orlando Scandrick
Tyron Smith

Hopes
Bruce Carter
Morris Claiborne
Tyrone Crawford
Gavin Escobar
DeVonte Holloman
Ronald Leary
B.W. Webb
Kyle Wilber
J.J. Wilcox
Terrance Williams

Role
Dan Bailey
Cole Beasley
Mackenzy Bernadeau
Dwayne Harris
L.P. Ladouceur
Sterling Moore
Kyle Orton
George Selvie

Bodies
Ben Bass
Barry Church
Tyler Clutts
Lance Dunbar
Justin Durant
Doug Free
James Hanna
Chris Jones
Jermey Parnell
Joseph Randle
Darrion Weems

Flush
Miles Austin
Brandon Carr
Phil Costa
Jakar Hamilton
Nick Hayden
Jeff Heath
Matt Johnson
Frank Kearse
Cameron Lawrence
Orie Lemon
Martez Wilson

Good read. I agree with everything but the Brandon Carr entry. I would fit Carr between "core" and "hopes".