State of the Team

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Core of this team

Romo: He is 32 not 37. Like it or not he's going to be on this team for atleast 4-5 more yrs. Being as he's already getting ready for the season maybe that surgery did the job. Sometimes the easiest and simpliest surgery is needed to get rid of nagging issues that are a big reason for reaccuring injuries.

Murray: Dallas doesnt sound like a team that is going to get rid of Murray anytime soon unless injuries are just too much. He seemed to do just fine with that last yr.

Dez: No explaination needed

TW: He had a very good rookie yr and basically made Austin a non factor.

Witten: This guy just looks like he can play forever.

Tyron: See Dez

Leary: Guy was very good his first yr starting. he teamed up with Tyron to form one of the best left sides in the NFL

Fredrick: Everything on the OL starts with him

Ware: Until he is no longer a Cowboy he is a core player.

Lee: He makes the defense run

Church: he is one of the best and surest tacklers in the nfl.

Bailey: one of the best kickers in the NFL

Role players

Carter: until he can get his form back, he's a role player. I have no doubt he will turn into that core player we saw in 2012

Bernadeau: He plays the enforcer role on the OL. Smack you in your mouth

Carr: Man CB, I think under marinelli he earns his worth with more pressure man.

Scandrick: Physical CB, the guy you want playing slot to hit them WRs or hit that QB on the blitz

Here is the problem for Dallas not enough role players. But its due more to age and inexperience then just being bad. People just dont realize how young this team really is.

Hopes

Escobar: If he's given the chance he can ball plain and simple.

Dunbar: if he can stay healthy watch out on 3rd downs

Free: Give me one more yr, then see ya

Selvie: if he can build on 2013, he will be a Cowboy in 2015

Crawford: if he can play that 1 tech for this defense it will make things alot easier

Bass: Can he stay just as hungry as he was last yr?

SAM: Hollomon, Wilber, very young but both showed improvement at the end of the yr

Claiborne: we saw flashes of a totally different CB, hungry CB. Can he put injuries away?

Wilcox: can he grasp the system this yr? Because the guy has alot of natural talent.

Heath: he's been at VR everyday this offseason, improving?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Gotta agree with Risen, a good/great kicker is a role player. An averege kicker is a body and a below averge kicker is a flush

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Risen, a good/great kicker is a role player. An averege kicker is a body and a below averge kicker is a flush

When you have a kicker who can nail that long FG like its a extra point and get a touchback virtually every kickoff thats big for a defense. Not last yrs defense of course lol.But any other defense.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
When you have a kicker who can nail that long FG like its a extra point and get a touchback virtually every kickoff thats big for a defense. Not last yrs defense of course lol.But any other defense.

To me, that's the definition of a role player. He does one thing very good. Hard to say he's part of your core, very important role player, but a role player none the less.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
To me, that's the definition of a role player. He does one thing very good. Hard to say he's part of your core, very important role player, but a role player none the less.

People dont remember what it was like when Dallas had bad kickers

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I really do, but even a great kicker won't be the difference between an 8-8 team and a deep playoff run.

Guess you dont remember the patriots when they first won the superbowl. Vinatieri was the reason they won the superbowl

rd26

Reaction score
After months of lurking, this seems like a decent spot for a first post.

I love the general classifications here. While I disagree with several of the placements, it is an interesting way to look at the team.

I would at least move Church up to the role player. While he is certainly not a top shelf safety, I simply love the way he plays the game, if I am the coach / gm, I can find a role for this guy at $2m a year. Carr is the same type player in many respects, but his salary puts him at the very top of my flush list. Unfortunately there isn't a plunger known to man that will get that turd of a contract down the drain without breaking the toilet, or at least putting it out of order for awhile.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I dont hear see or read anybody crying about Carr's contract when he signed it. This forum seemed to like it. Now all of the sudden they act like they were always opposed

birdwells1

Reaction score
Core of this team

Romo: He is 32 not 37. Like it or not he's going to be on this team for atleast 4-5 more yrs. Being as he's already getting ready for the season maybe that surgery did the job. Sometimes the easiest and simpliest surgery is needed to get rid of nagging issues that are a big reason for reaccuring injuries.

Murray: Dallas doesnt sound like a team that is going to get rid of Murray anytime soon unless injuries are just too much. He seemed to do just fine with that last yr.

Dez: No explaination needed

TW: He had a very good rookie yr and basically made Austin a non factor.

Witten: This guy just looks like he can play forever.

Tyron: See Dez

Leary: Guy was very good his first yr starting. he teamed up with Tyron to form one of the best left sides in the NFL

Fredrick: Everything on the OL starts with him

Ware: Until he is no longer a Cowboy he is a core player.

Lee: He makes the defense run

Church: he is one of the best and surest tacklers in the nfl.

Bailey: one of the best kickers in the NFL

Role players

Carter: until he can get his form back, he's a role player. I have no doubt he will turn into that core player we saw in 2012

Bernadeau: He plays the enforcer role on the OL. Smack you in your mouth

Carr: Man CB, I think under marinelli he earns his worth with more pressure man.

Scandrick: Physical CB, the guy you want playing slot to hit them WRs or hit that QB on the blitz

Here is the problem for Dallas not enough role players. But its due more to age and inexperience then just being bad. People just dont realize how young this team really is.

Hopes

Escobar: If he's given the chance he can ball plain and simple.

Dunbar: if he can stay healthy watch out on 3rd downs

Free: Give me one more yr, then see ya

Selvie: if he can build on 2013, he will be a Cowboy in 2015

Crawford: if he can play that 1 tech for this defense it will make things alot easier

Bass: Can he stay just as hungry as he was last yr?

SAM: Hollomon, Wilber, very young but both showed improvement at the end of the yr

Claiborne: we saw flashes of a totally different CB, hungry CB. Can he put injuries away?

Wilcox: can he grasp the system this yr? Because the guy has alot of natural talent.

Heath: he's been at VR everyday this offseason, improving?

Man I'm glad you're not the GM (not that it would make that much difference) because you'll keep an underachieving group together for far too long. The problem with some of you evaluations is that you're looking at it from a perspective of everything falling right which just doesn't happen in the NFL.

Matter of fact I wish you were the GM so at least they would be able to fire you. jk

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont hear see or read anybody crying about Carr's contract when he signed it. This forum seemed to like it. Now all of the sudden they act like they were always opposed

Actually Risen never liked the Carr signing. Never liked the Claiborne pick either. lol He hated every move to improve the secondary that offseason, because the team didn't address the line issues to his satisfaction.

Don't think you were on the site much around that time, so you might've missed it.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Man I'm glad you're not the GM (not that it would make that much difference) because you'll keep an underachieving group together for far too long. The problem with some of you evaluations is that you're looking at it from a perspective of everything falling right which just doesn't happen in the NFL.

Matter of fact I wish you were the GM so at least they would be able to fire you. jk

The difference between me and alot of you is i listen to what this team is saying and what they expect to put on the field. I dont base my opinions on my wants for this team. I base my thought on what they say and it gives me a grasp of what to expect. So i dont spend all my time being miserable because the Cowboys arent doing what i want them to do.

I would change alot if i had any say in it. But i dont so why wreck my brain in my wants and just base an opinion on what my brain tells me is coming in 2014? If you just take the time to listen to some of the interviews or podcasts around the internet by coaches and media people inside VR, you get a general idea on what this team wants to do in 2014

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Actually Risen never liked the Carr signing. Never liked the Claiborne pick either. lol He hated every move to improve the secondary that offseason, because the team didn't address the line issues to his satisfaction.

Don't think you were on the site much around that time, so you might've missed it.

Dont think i was. But from his posts he doesnt like anything about this team.

Aven8

Reaction score

I think he was still complaining about the OLine then. Now it's the Dline. ;)

cowboys1981

Reaction score
It's too bad that we didn't surround our three seniors with more talent when they were the core. Those three deserve a Lombardi!

daveferr33

Reaction score

I don't understand the criticism. Even assuming the truth of your statement, are fans not allowed to change their minds based on subsequent events?

Its not our job to be right; its the Front offices job to be right.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't understand the criticism. Even assuming the truth of your statement, are fans not allowed to change their minds based on subsequent events?

Its not our job to be right; its the Front offices job to be right.

By all means change it, but dont act like you always knew the outcome when you were happy they picked him up.