Staubach: There’s accuracy issues but Dak’s gonna continue to be a great quarterback **merged**

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger Staubach: "I'm a little disappointed at the people that don't see the whole Dak..."

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Roger Roger Roger. Prescott's critics are disappointed with you now. Certainly. You played some games. Competed and won Super Bowls. Became a legend in your own time. Would have beaten Clint Longley half to death if he had not run off like a girl but when all's said and done, what do you, mister so-called Captain America (while totally deserved that is such a pretentious name sir :rolleyes: ) REALLY know about evaluating quarterbacks, Roger? Seriously, WHAT DO YOU KNOW????????

Such gall! The impudence of a Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback remotely thinking he knows what it takes to play in the National Football League. Get over yourself Roger.
:popcorn: Nice. Very dry sarcasm. I give it a 10. :clap:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
lol... you can always count on America's Clownboy to move the goalposts.
When Romo demanded he be allowed to compete to gain his starter's role back mid-season in 2016, he was denied and forced to sit on the bench the rest of the season. Then told by season's end he would not be the starter if he decided to come back in 2017, thus forcing him to retire instead of playing elsewhere.

Is this not true? Or is it too much for you to handle?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak's performance benched Romo and forced Romo into retirement.
Prescott's superb rookie performance created a euphoria over many people, including Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett, who prevented Romo from retuning from injury and reclaiming the starting role. Afterwards, Romo self-evaluated whether he wanted to continue his career as a player in Dallas (highly likely as the only team he wanted to play with) or pursue other life goals. Jones and Garrett eliminated Option A. Romo took Option B. If taking Option B is anyone's definition of 'forced retirement', so be it. However, the actual causation is not EXACTLY what some people continue claiming it to be.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Not really.

It’s the opinion of a man known almost as much for his integrity as for his football achievement, so we know it’s honest. He probably knows about as much about the position, and how to succeed at it at the highest levels, as all but a handful of people on the planet.

I see mostly what you see. But it’s easy for Roger to get me thinking I may be missing something.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Romo demanded he be allowed to compete to gain his starter's role back mid-season in 2016, he was denied and forced to sit on the bench the rest of the season. Then told by season's end he would not be the starter if he decided to come back in 2017, thus forcing him to retire instead of playing elsewhere.

Is this not true? Or is it too much for you to handle?

This is true, except that it didn't force Romo to retire instead of playing elsewhere, it just forced him to make a decision about whether to retire or play elsewhere.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wrong Again

“Tony’s right there among the best in the NFL,” Staubach told the Star-Telegram. “If he’s healthy, he’ll be back playing. I think everybody realizes that. But I think Dak [Prescott] is going to keep them very competitive in the division until Tony gets back.”

Roger Staubach in 2016
He was right on all accounts.
Except when Romo did get back, he remained on the sidelines. Roger assumed they'd put him back in for the playoff run.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger is the 2nd best QBs in cowboys history after aikman.

He’s never said anything like this about romo. It speaks volumes to the testmenat of how much elite potential Dak has. Their is a reason he compared him to Tom Brady.
Roger actually said Romo was a better QB than he was but that is irrelevant, this is just his opinion and carries no more weight than any other ex QB. There are others that see that inaccuracy as a flaw in his game, an irreparable flaw according to the best DC QB.

First of all, all QB's are going to have errant throws. My concern with Prescott's are that those are the same ones I saw him making in college and he hasn't improved on that. He misses too many NFL QB 101 throws. Can he improve on that? Sure, but will he?

jrumann59

Reaction score
What a homer, what does he know about being a mobile QB and how to throw a football accurately....Some of the posters are eminently more qualified to evaluate talent since they have owned every madden game since 1992....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know that he was wrong. He said Romo "can" take a team to the championship, not that he "will". Staubach is aware that a QB can't do it alone.
Landry wasn't sure that Roger could take them in 77 and traded up for the 1st to take Dorsett. He wasn't even sure for a while that he was QB 1.

Roger is not going to take shots at anyone and is always going to the positive side, that's who he is. His opinion of Prescott would carry more weight if he'd said they're using him wrong, he is not a pocket passer and it takes one to know one. If Roger hadn't relied on his running instincts, which did shorten his career, he would not have been the great QB he was.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ouch. One of the few times Staubach was wrong.
I have been a member of the site since 2004. Conversed with hundreds. if not thousands, of fellow members over that span. Read a lot of nonsense mixed in with tons of good stuff along the way.

I can honestly say that I have encountered only one individual whose communicative 'point-of-view' prompted me to self-ignore him or her. No replies. No off-handed references. Nada. Just went cold turkey with him or her.

It has been many years since I made that choice. Never thought I would ever feel compelled to do it again. Well. Never is a long time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As the year went on Prescott got better

The one thing that will help him going forward is throwing the ball away sooner.....
What I have to say is not exactly the same topic but an observation I think is worth mentioning. I was listening to a local sports radio interview of Stan Humphries, the Chargers ex-Super Bowl runnerup quarterback.

Humphries commented how today's quarterbacks benefit from current rules preventing defenders from truly pressuring them after the snap without incurring a penalty. This is an obvious observation for anyone watching football but I am not sure it is one that everyone associates directly to that internal clock quarterbacks should have to get the ball out of their hands.

Humphries said in his era, quarterbacks knew that if it was not 'Snap/1 2 3 Drop Step/Release' that they would get killed by a pass rusher but now quarterbacks are so protected that their internal clock is not as much of a priority for them. Humphries made me consider how much is Prescott consciously thinking about releasing the ball during timing plays. He knows, just like any quarterback, that he cannot hold the ball forever but how much is he thinking about the time necessary to release his throw following each snap?