Staubach: There’s accuracy issues but Dak’s gonna continue to be a great quarterback **merged**

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I have to say is not exactly the same topic but an observation I think is worth mentioning. I was listening to a local sports radio interview of Stan Humphries, the Chargers ex-Super Bowl runnerup quarterback.

Humphries commented how today's quarterbacks benefit from current rules preventing defenders from truly pressuring them after the snap without incurring a penalty. This is an obvious observation for anyone watching football but I am not sure it is one that everyone associates directly to that internal clock quarterbacks should have to get the ball out of their hands.

Humphries said in his era, quarterbacks knew that if it was not 'Snap/1 2 3 Drop Step/Release' that they would get killed by a pass rusher but now quarterbacks are so protected that their internal clock is not as much of a priority for them. Humphries made me consider how much is Prescott consciously thinking about releasing the ball during timing plays. He knows, just like any quarterback, that he cannot hold the ball forever but how much is he thinking about the time necessary to release his throw following each snap?
Yeah, he's got to hit the kill switch at the moment of truth. On some of his throws, he is only looking for one option. Too late to look for options.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Roger’s word has to count for something.

Definitely. I remember feeling frustrated when Staubach would have a game where his passes were less accurate than desired. It happened especially when he had an injury to his ring finger on his throwing hand. He was one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, but he was not immune to having a bad game. I'm not saying Dak is Staubach, but I certainly don't think he's a scrub.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
When Romo demanded he be allowed to compete to gain his starter's role back mid-season in 2016, he was denied and forced to sit on the bench the rest of the season. Then told by season's end he would not be the starter if he decided to come back in 2017, thus forcing him to retire instead of playing elsewhere.

Is this not true? Or is it too much for you to handle?
It has literally zero to do with what anyone was talking about. How anyone could so cluelessly be unable to follow a conversation is beyond me.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely. I remember feeling frustrated when Staubach would have a game where his passes were less accurate than desired. It happened especially when he had an injury to his ring finger on his throwing hand. He was one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, but he was not immune to having a bad game. I'm not saying Dak is Staubach, but I certainly don't think he's a scrub.
All QBs have a learning curve that waxes and wanes. Prescott has a definite, "It," factor. I don't think a man of Staubach's intellect and savvy would compromise his integrity on iffy propositions. Same for Fredrick's opine about Moore. Those guys are giving bold support in the face of public doubt. That doesn't make their assertions a guarantee of certitude, but it does give Prescott and Moore a credible chance of success.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My problems with Dak.

1: We’ve won nothing when he’s been on a rookie deal.

2: Others make Dak better so giving him a big contract will make us a worse team.

3: He and Garrett together will just bring mediocrity to our offense. We have to have an all time Oline and run game to make everything click with these 2.

The easy switch is a different coach but we’re hanging onto Garrett another season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It has literally zero to do with what anyone was talking about. How anyone could so cluelessly be unable to follow a conversation is beyond me.
I was responding to @Coy's response on the 1st page quoting Roger Staubach's 2016 response to Tony Romo and Dak...

CoyWell-Known Member
2,963 messages

1,819 likes received

Roger is the 2nd best QBs in cowboys history after aikman.

@Willfreedom909: He’s never said anything like this about romo. It speaks volumes to the testmenat of how much elite potential Dak has. Their is a reason he compared him to Tom Brady.

@Coy Wrong Again

“Tony’s right there among the best in the NFL,” Staubach told the Star-Telegram. “If he’s healthy, he’ll be back playing. I think everybody realizes that. But I think Dak [Prescott] is going to keep them very competitive in the division until Tony gets back.”

Roger Staubach in 2016

I understand reading comprehension is not your forté, but please try to keep up.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I respect Rodger Staubach but the quote "Dak's going to continue to be a great quarterback"... falls incomplete. Dak has some great intangibles which I hope will make him a good or very good quarterback, but sometimes we are a bit too free with the word great, even 2 time Super Bowl winners:)

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott's superb rookie performance created a euphoria over many people, including Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett, who prevented Romo from retuning from injury and reclaiming the starting role. Afterwards, Romo self-evaluated whether he wanted to continue his career as a player in Dallas (highly likely as the only team he wanted to play with) or pursue other life goals. Jones and Garrett eliminated Option A. Romo took Option B. If taking Option B is anyone's definition of 'forced retirement', so be it. However, the actual causation is not EXACTLY what some people continue claiming it to be.
In have to think the competitor in Romo wanted to continue his quest for the golden chalice, but the family man and individual contemplated life in a wheel chair. He was getting close to going to the well too many times. Could be wrong; wouldn't be the first time.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respect Rodger Staubach but the quote "Dak's going to continue to be a great quarterback"... falls incomplete. Dak has some great intangibles which I hope will make him a good or very good quarterback, but sometimes we are a bit too free with the word great, even 2 time Super Bowl winners:)
Good point. :thumbup:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. :thumbup:
He may be overplaying his assessment, he could even be grossly inaccurate. But, I think at the very least, he sees more than just potential. Gotta have the right conditions to succeed. The window is shrinking.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I was responding to @Coy's response on the 1st page quoting Roger Staubach's 2016 response to Tony Romo and Dak...

CoyWell-Known Member
2,963 messages

1,819 likes received

@Willfreedom909: He’s never said anything like this about romo. It speaks volumes to the testmenat of how much elite potential Dak has. Their is a reason he compared him to Tom Brady.

@Coy Wrong Again

“Tony’s right there among the best in the NFL,” Staubach told the Star-Telegram. “If he’s healthy, he’ll be back playing. I think everybody realizes that. But I think Dak [Prescott] is going to keep them very competitive in the division until Tony gets back.”

Roger Staubach in 2016

I understand reading comprehension is not your forté, but please try to keep up.
LOL. Coy himself told you that you completely missed the point and yet you are so clueless that you went and cut and pasted your own stupidity for all to see. Again it had nothing to do with what anyone was talking about (whether Staubach said Romo was a good QB). I’m not sure why you are acting so defensive as if anyone is shocked that you’re a troll and you have to defend yourself.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I like Dak. But I just feel its an adventure everytime he goes back to pass, its like Forest Gump said, you dont know what your gonna get....

Rogers a true Cowboy he will never speak ill of the organization or the players. Class act and great man.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm sure Roger can relate. He was not known for his accuracy. He was just a great athlete and leader.

He also got better as he moved along in his career. It took him 3 years to become a full time starter. That doesn't necessarily mean Dak will but it's too early to just write the guy off. Romo got better over time as well.

Nexx

Reaction score

He’s never said anything like this about romo. It speaks volumes to the testmenat of how much elite potential Dak has. Their is a reason he compared him to Tom Brady.

Are you kidding? Roger was pro Romo. Hate on Romo as much as you want but he was damn QB.