Steele may not be ready for training camp

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Saw some practice video. It appears Wilesko is the right tackle with the starters at mini camp. His play will probably determine if the Cowboys sign Steele to a long term contract. Wilesko is a big man.

John813

Reaction score
Cautiously optimistic on Waletzko and his potential this year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I can see him playing game 1, and using a knee brace. Just a guess though. But not buying into some fans mid year stuff. Because that is typical of most fans as well.
I agree he will probably play game 1 but how well is the question ..........see Michael Gallup trying to return from a major injury last season.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm not worried about Steele being ready for the start of the season after seeing how he moved a couple of months ago. But, they absolutely should be overly cautious with getting him back into the lineup. The offseason program is great, but it's better to do everything you can to not have a set back. That being said we certainly need a backup tackle and a backup guard in place that can at least be serviceable and I'm not sure we have that right now. I think Edoga is at worst serviceable, but I'm not sure any of these other backups are. You can all have your guys that you think will be good, but the truth is that Farniok, Waletzko, Ball and the new guys are all unknowns right now and, in general, it's probably at least 50/50 that unknowns don't work out. Hopefully a couple of them step up and show they can play in this league if needed. It's just standard roster management to cover all of your bases and with Tyron one of our starters it's only a matter of time before one is needed even if Steele plays all 17 games. If Steele isn't ready and Tyron goes down early we likely will have a problem. I for one will be looking to sign a veteran OL sometime between now and week 1, but ideally we wait until August or even after cut downs to get a better gauge on some of these young kids. Perhaps a couple of them prove to be capable.