Twitter: Steele to be swing tackle this year

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Question...........would this be an upgrade over Connor McGovern? I'm not sure
The upgrade over Connor McGovern is Tyler Smith. For all we know, Tyron may play his usual 13 games this year (although his maximum in any of the last three seasons is 11). If so, and we started Tyron, Tyler and Steele, then we'd have spent a first- or second-round pick on a guard starting three games. If that was the case, I'd rather spend those early picks on a running back who will split carries in every game and/or a nose tackle who will play in every game. I wasn't averse to taking a guard in the first round anyway, but I would have leaned toward those other two positions, all things being equal. If Jerry is to be taken serious, though, starting guard becomes more important.

tayloner

Reaction score
I’m sure 100 people have said this, but this is just Jerry negotiating through the media. Stupidly, I’d say, but I wouldn’t read too much into it. We know they’ve talked about extending Steele this offseason - he’s trying to tell Steele’s agent if he doesn’t take the deal on the table, his player will be a backup in his year leading up to his impending free agency.

Seems like this is the sort of thing that has the ability to backfire, but what do I know.

rambo2

Reaction score
I’m sure 100 people have said this, but this is just Jerry negotiating through the media. Stupidly, I’d say, but I wouldn’t read too much into it. We know they’ve talked about extending Steele this offseason - he’s trying to tell Steele’s agent if he doesn’t take the deal on the table, his player will be a backup in his year leading up to his impending free agency.

Seems like this is the sort of thing that has the ability to backfire, but what do I know.
Jerry isn't negotiating. He is just an old man that talks too much.

Creeper

Reaction score
Steele will be the starting RT this year. Jerry has lost his mind. Tyler Smith will move inside and Tyron will move to LT. That is if Tyron makes it out of training camp this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Steele will be the starting RT this year. Jerry has lost his mind. Tyler Smith will move inside and Tyron will move to LT. That is if Tyron makes it out of training camp this year.
That is what I had assumed.

If we were going to sit one of the three, *and* move Tyron to RT, we should have just moved on from Tyron.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, this sounds terrible.

Tyron wasn’t good at RT last year.

And with this projected lineup, you’ve got massive hole as your left guard right now.
Tyron wasn't good at RT last year. And not so good in his rookie year either.
Meanwhile, he has been borderline HOF at LT.

I hated what they did on the oline last year when Tyron came back, and I'm hating this.

Seems like classic Jerry splitting the difference between opposing camps, giving us an alternative worse than the preference of either side.

If you don't want to hold back Tyler's development, then wave goodbye to Tyron.
If you don't want to lose the potential upside of Tyron at LT and another quality starting olineman, move Tyler to LG.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How can you even determine who played better Tyron was hurt all year and was rusty. Not enough footage to claim who was better.
Enough footage to say who *was* better last year. And I'd give it to Steele.
With an offseason and health, I'd expect Tyron to be better than Steele at RT this year, but that's no lock.
But with the same health, I'd be *more* confident in Tyron being better than Tyler at LT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The upgrade over Connor McGovern is Tyler Smith. For all we know, Tyron may play his usual 13 games this year (although his maximum in any of the last three seasons is 11). If so, and we started Tyron, Tyler and Steele, then we'd have spent a first- or second-round pick on a guard starting three games. If that was the case, I'd rather spend those early picks on a running back who will split carries in every game and/or a nose tackle who will play in every game. I wasn't averse to taking a guard in the first round anyway, but I would have leaned toward those other two positions, all things being equal. If Jerry is to be taken serious, though, starting guard becomes more important.
I'd be leaning toward getting a C to backup the interior oline and replace Biadasz in 2014.

All due respect to Martin, but G is just not a premier position to spend a 1st on unless another Martin drops into our lap.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
So everybody is just going to forget Steele being a holding magnet this yr? Yes he's good and going to get better. But Tyron should be starting. I keep saying they'd be happy to get a team to pluck Steele and give them a 2nd. Wether that's right idk. But when that tender was announced it just smelled like they wouldn't mind if a team did pick him up.

Anybody ever think that jerry isnt stupid as he sounds sometimes? Maybe he's saying this to let a team know tyron is the starter, so maybe they wouldn't be inclined to match that offer for a swing tackle?

tm1119

Reaction score
1. This is dumb, put your best 5 out there and prepare a contingency plan for if/when Tyron gets hurt.

2. If this is true I would take a 2nd in a heart beat if any team were to want to sign Steele to an offer sheet. Draft a younger, more long replacement if you aren’t going to utilize Steele

quickccc

Reaction score
If i'm the Steele camp and i'm forced down to being a swing backup tackle after establishing myself as a very solid starter
in what is gonna be my contract year into unrestricted FA next year, I'm looking to get a big contract elsewhere.

" Swingman' backup role means that team doesn't see me as an essential player of the immediate nor the future.
And they value a declining, injury prone Tyron Smith more than they do with me.