Stephen A. Smith | Can leader McNabb hear sour notes?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Stephen A. Smith
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Inquirer Columnist[/size]
spacer.gif

Donovan McNabb is many things to the Eagles and the city they represent. He's the quarterback. The franchise player. The one with the $112 million contract that mandates he had better be both and much, much more. So I'm wondering why he is also the leader of a team filled with questions about relations between him and those he is supposed to lead.

Terrell Owens didn't speak kindly of McNabb in the weeks following the Eagles' Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots. Freddie Mitchell didn't speak highly of McNabb, either, before his unceremonious exit at the behest of the franchise.

And although Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis or anyone else on the offensive side of the ball wouldn't dare speak out against McNabb - at least if they intend to continue working for this organization - no one has actually stepped to the front of the line to speak on McNabb's behalf, either.

Ignorance can reign supreme, of course, and we can all sit around and simply blame Owens' greed and Mitchell's stupidity and leave McNabb's image as pure and pristine as ever. But where exactly will that get this franchise?

Before Owens got here and Mitchell's mouth ran nonstop, the Eagles did come within 60 minutes of a Super Bowl appearance three consecutive years. McNabb was the star who couldn't get them over the hump. Andy Reid kept saving only the biggest games to get outcoached. And Joe Banner continued validating Jeff Lurie's "Gold Standard" assertions by mastering the salary cap for the purpose of intrigue.

All in all, it got this franchise nowhere. Just another contender destined to be televised. Mostly sizzle, with very little substance.

Until Owens arrived.

Now acrimony dominates the headlines.

First, it was Owens screaming for the ball in Pittsburgh. Later, it was Mitchell dropping hints of not getting the ball. After the Super Bowl, it was Jon Runyan coming to the defense of his quarterback, saying he was exhausted, trying to defend his leader's honor in the midst of scrutiny.

Turn left. Turn right. Look up and down. Do a 360-degree turn. Bend down and peek through your legs. When it comes to the Eagles, it really doesn't matter.

From draft day to two NFC championship game losses to Rush Limbaugh's idiotic comments to another NFC title game loss and now the aftermath of another loss on the big stage, any significant issue involving this franchise has continuously revolved around Mr. Donovan McNabb.

I'm not blaming McNabb for any of it.

I'm just asking why.

Here's the worst kept secret in the Eagles' locker room: Owens isn't too fond of McNabb. He believes McNabb is a company man, a player who marches purely to Reid's tune. Someone who tows the company line, gets paid handsomely to do so, even when he's unwittingly exploited by Reid and Co. to keep the rest of the troops in line.

"It's not fair to knock the Eagles organization because everyone in the NFL is like that," one former Eagle still playing in the NFL recently told me. "The strategy is simple: You pay a few of your core guys big money, guys that are all about doing things the right way, then use them to set the standard you want set so everyone else falls in line.

"It works in most places. But that ain't going to work with independent thinkers who are as good as T.O."

The latter wouldn't apply to Mitchell, of course, who caught just 90 passes and averaged less than 500 yards per year in four seasons in Philadelphia. But the fact that he didn't leave quietly - "I just never had that relationship with my quarterback" - has to say something.

These are receivers, folks. Individuals paid to run routes and catch passes the quarterbacks calls and throws in their direction. Aside from the center position, there is no position more intimate with the quarterback, whose future depends on the quarterback more.

"I believe we can do some really special things if T.O. was here with us," McNabb said recently. "But if he's not here, we can do some special things without him."

Translation: McNabb isn't overly fond of Owens, either. It's no secret he believes Owens is selfish and self-absorbed.

He won't admit it, though. None of the Eagles will.

Publicly.

We won't hear the truth as long as Reid is in sight. McNabb, for all his worth - and I'm here to say he's worth plenty - is Mr. Untouchable. Protected at all cost. Operating with impunity with regard to anything donning green and white.

Owens spoke out, and the Eagles won't budge, keeping their hands in their pockets. Mitchell's gone, never to return.

How much any of this has to do with McNabb is something we don't know.

But that may be the biggest problem of all: We don't know.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11648298.htm

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I doubt Donovan Mcnabb is the problem. The guy is what Tom Landry would call "A Pro". Guy comes in, does his job and plays his butt off. Even if Mcnabb and Owens dont like each other they still managed to do some very special things this season.

Freddie Mitchell has no reason to talk and I would be flat out embarrassed if my coach told me not to even come to training camp.

I dont really get this statement in the article:

when he's unwittingly exploited by Reid and Co. to keep the rest of the troops in line.

Not sure how you exploit a guy with a 112 Million dollar contract. Personally, I would love to have a guy at quarterback with McNabb's work ethic and calm demeanor when faced with some of the things this article mentions.

But I cant route for the guy because he plays for Philly.

- Mike G.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
By Stephen A. Smith
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Inquirer Columnist[/size]
spacer.gif

Donovan McNabb is many things to the Eagles and the city they represent. He's the quarterback. The franchise player. The one with the $112 million contract that mandates he had better be both and much, much more. So I'm wondering why he is also the leader of a team filled with questions about relations between him and those he is supposed to lead.

I love to dump on McChunky too, but this seems a little lame. I agree about WRs maybe not being too found of McNabb, but I believe it might due to his accuracy etc. issues and his holding onto ball too long, thereby missing open recievers etc.

But come on, which team wont want a players that toe the company line?? Either way, McNabb has been proven to be choker on Big games. Now he seems to get over those, the more times he has been there. I guess if Beagles go to SB 2-3 more times, they might eventually win it :D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I admit I only agree with Stephen A. Smith about 25-50% of the time, he is right on the money this time. Interesting observations and insights.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I for one agree with Mitchell in what he said when he said McNabb isn't that good. I think McNabb is a decent QB but I don't think he's worth 112M very few QB's are IMO and no wonder why T.O. would want a new contract if not for him what would McNabb have done last season? The Eagles have made a lot of good moves recently but I think their claim to the NFC has been more about lack of competition through out the NFC than them dominating. When we did in the 90's the NFC was where it was at now it's in the AFC and the eagles don't play against the same competition as we faced back then. I think this eagles team even with T.O. would be an 8-8 team against the competition we faced in the early 90's. I also think we and other teams have closed the gap if not slamed the gap shut this offseason and I think McNabb will look as he should this season and thats as an average QB. IMO

Q_the_man

Reaction score
LOL, at all this... Mcnabb has tooken his team to the NFC championship game 4 straight years, which means he is a helluva QB, did he win any rings, NO. But Marino, Moon, Manning and a host of other QBs have never gotten that far....

If winning the Super Bowl were easy to win, everybody would have one........Not!

Owens cross the line and as a owner I would make him pay......

I would do everything to tick his $$$ off, wouldn't start him and at the end of the year he would have 7 catches, then I would go public and say "TO is not playing up to his potential and has bad work habits and is a cancer to the team"

Then the next season I would do the same until he holdout, which in case leads me to fining him, then if he misses any games from holding out I would try and sue to get some of that SB back. When he decides to return, put his $$$ on the bench again, Srry TO no HOF for u....

Q_the_man

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I for one agree with Mitchell in what he said when he said McNabb isn't that good. I think McNabb is a decent QB but I don't think he's worth 112M very few QB's are IMO and no wonder why T.O. would want a new contract if not for him what would McNabb have done last season? The Eagles have made a lot of good moves recently but I think their claim to the NFC has been more about lack of competition through out the NFC than them dominating. When we did in the 90's the NFC was where it was at now it's in the AFC and the eagles don't play against the same competition as we faced back then. I think this eagles team even with T.O. would be an 8-8 team against the competition we faced in the early 90's. I also think we and other teams have closed the gap if not slamed the gap shut this offseason and I think McNabb will look as he should this season and thats as an average QB. IMO
Without TO the Eagle still would have gotten into the playoff and probably to the Super Bowl.... My thing is u just got a 10 million $ SB last season and after one year u think u are underpaid, could it be that Mcnabb got TO the ball better than any QB he's ever had?????? What if TO had stayed in Frisco catching passes from Rattay, would he have caught 90 passes, 14 TDs, Probably not! If TO is so great why couldn't he get the 49ers into the playoffs. TO came to a good team and he acts like they own him something and they don't.

They loss meaning why should I pay u more money after u talk about the team leader and loss the Super Bowl,,,,,, TO is not a team player, he's a gamer but not a team player.....And after one year he should not have blast his team like he's some star use to winning.

He could have gone up to Lurie and ask him for some type of extra bonus, maybe instead of that $10 mil SB, the extra bonus say $4 mil would make that signing bonus look like 14 mil....

And if TO really wants a new contract he should just give back his Signing bonus from last year and ask to be release and sign with the Bills then....

TO is wrong and like I said earlier I would make his career hell if I was the owner :iggles:

jksmith269

Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
Without TO the Eagle still would have gotten into the playoff and probably to the Super Bowl.... My thing is u just got a 10 SB last season and after one year u think u are underpaid, could it be that Mcnabb got TO the ball better than any QB he's ever had?????? What if TO had stayed in Frisco catching passes from Rattay, would he have caught 90 passes, 14 TDs, Probably not! If TO is so great why couldn't he get the 49ers into the playoffs. TO came to a good team and he acts like they own he something and they don't, they loss meaning why should I pay u more money after u talk about the team leader and loss the Super Bowl,,,,,, TO is not a team player, he's a gamer but not a team player.....

Hey I agree about T.O. I can't stand him wouldn't want him. Now getting to the SB and the Championship games the past 4 seasons like I said I think its more because the lack of Competition than them being great. Their D has carried them and while McNabb has had good stats I just don't think he's that good.

One person doesnt' make A team. In SF there was more problems than one player or any couple of players could fix....

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Take Vick away from ATL and they will never sniff the playoffs, Take Brady away from the Pats and they would not sniff a playoffs, more less a Super Bowl. takeFarve from Green Bay and they never make the playoffs, take away Emmitt and Dallas does not will those Super Bowls, one player does not make a team but one player can have a big big impact over the course of a season, not 2 or 3 games but a season...

Jim Brown was the best RB ever, what would the browns have done without JB....Not win Championships...that's for sure.....

BlueStar22

Reaction score
The latter wouldn't apply to Mitchell, of course, who caught just 90 passes and averaged less than 500 yards per year in four seasons in Philadelphia. But the fact that he didn't leave quietly - "I just never had that relationship with my quarterback" - has to say something.
and the fact that no one is currently interested in the "hands" of Freddie says something too.

jksmith269

Reaction score
If T.O. is not an Eagle this year do you think they make it to the SB? I don't. If McNabb is not the QB this season will the Eagles make the Playoffs? I don't. I don't think McNabb is that good. And I agree with the T.O. being a cancer but B4 he got there how many SB's did they go to with McNabb? 0. and that was from a weak conference. Do you agree with that? Do you agree that the NFC will be vastly improved this year?

Vickless Falcons don't go anywhere but at the same time untill he learns the WCO or whatever they are going to run I don't think the Falcons with vick will go anywhere. After seeing how to stop him last year I think most teams that are able to will play vick just like the Eagles did. Flush him to his right. If you let him go left he will kill you.

AJM1613

Reaction score
One thing I noticed and this board and the Eagles':

The least understandable posters think McNabb's overrated.

And this Eagles team is a better team than the one in the early nineties, and they went 10-6, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 with one of the worst coaches in NFL history.

jksmith269

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

And this Eagles team is a better team than the one in the early nineties, and they went 10-6, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 with one of the worst coaches in NFL history.

Well coming from a Eagles fan I'll take this with a grain of salt. It's my opinion I don't think he's a great QB decent but not great and not worth 112m.

You have one good season in the early 90's and one decent. Your coach did suck but your D was awesome. Randell was just like McFlabb and your O was much the same IMO Your D carried you then as it has in the past couple seasons excluding last season.

:trophy: :suxiggle:

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
McNabb is vastly overpaid - only an Eagals homer would refute that - but perfect for Andy. The two are perfect for each other ... the $$$ has bought silence and 100% conformity from the top which trickles down to people like TO.

I wish the NFC East wasn't so horrible the past 4 years - even if they had one other legitimate contender - as it would surely provide more of a reality check.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

McNabb is overrated. Durin a game Troy Aikman was layin the smak on him sayin how he has never seen a QB make such dumb choices and how his accuracy just bites. But hey what does a 3 time Super Bowl winner and Super Bowl MVP and future HOFer know about playin QB.

McNabb is average at the very best. Even teammates Terell Owens and Freddie Mitchell didnt think much of him. And like the artie says...nobody is comin to his defense either.

Smak us all you want about us sayin what we do about McNabb and not thinkin much of him compared to your board but it looks like some of the players on YOUR team dont think to different then we do.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Basically its win the Super Bowl or u not good.....Mcnabb took his team to 4 straight NFC championships and we have not won a playoff game in years. Vick took his team to the NFC championship after been hurt all of last season, but we haven't won a playoff game in years......but Mcnabb is overrated, if that's the case, Brady is the only good QB in the NFL then and everyone else is overrated

jksmith269

Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
Basically its win the Super Bowl or u not good.....Mcnabb took his team to 4 straight NFC championships and we have not won a playoff game in years. Vick took his team to the NFC championship after been hurt all of last season, but we haven't won a playoff game in years......but Mcnabb is overrated, if that's the case, Brady is the only good QB in the NFL then and everyone else is overrated

Q your way off here IMO I'm saying if the Competition in the NFC was better over the past 4 years the Eagles would never been in the Championship games but since it has sucked they have. McNabb is a decent QB not great. They have had good RB's usually 2 (except last year when they only had one) which took a lot of pressure off McFlabb. and a D that if you gave them a lead they could hold it for you so McFlabb never has had to come from behind that much and we all saw him huffing and puffing in the SB he was winded and couldn't even run the 2 min drill.

Vick is a flashy QB not a team QB until he learns to throw the ball he never will be. If teams learn how to shut his running down then you will see Vick is less than average he's been great with his legs but less than average with the rest of the QB position IMO.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I think it's funny that Owens was referred to in the article by some personnel guy as a "independent thinker."

Is that what they call head cases these days?

Dallas has had a few of these "independent thinkers:" (Duane Thomas, Pete Gent, Clint Longley ...)

They may be talented, but they tend to cause more trouble than they're worth, IMO. I've met Thomas and think he's an interesting guy, but I'd hate to have him as an employee.

Owens couldn't get along with Steve Mariucci and Jeff Garcia, so he talked his way out of S.F.

He didn't want to play in Baltimore supposedly because he didn't think Kyle Boller was good enough. So, he somehow gets that deal nixed and lands exactly where he wants to be ... as if he was a free agent.

Less than a year in, he's already unhappy with the QB he wanted to play for and wants a new deal.

Wherever he goes, he'll be a headache to someone. He'll call out his quarterback, disrespect the people who are paying him millions to catch a ball and go crying to the media every chance he gets. There will always be a Stephen A. (A is for Angry) Smith there to listen, console and tell his story.