Stephen A. Smith | Can leader McNabb hear sour notes?

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
McNabb is overrated. Every QB except Tom Brady gets overrated, and I'm not even 100% comfortable with the way Tommy Montana is portrayed by some. 'Overrated' is simply a relative term. He's overrated and better than anything this division has had since Aikman himself.

He'll always allow for the Eagles` offense to make plays and win games. The Eagles` defense has always been good, but never great under Reid or Ray Rhodes. The rest fell to McNabb's arm & feet. They've made him largely responsible for winning. He's handled it very well, and rather quickly. In fact, the manner which he stormed into the NFC East as a full-time starter -- playoff win, NFCC, NFCC, NFCC, SB -- may be why he is often overrated as he's expected to grow faster than anyone else.

AJM1613

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
They have had good RB's usually 2 (except last year when they only had one) which took a lot of pressure off McFlabb.

In 1999 the backup runningback was Eric Bieniemy, in 2000 the starting runningback for most of the season was Darnell Autry, in 2001 the backup was a rookie Buckhalter, in 2002 the backup was Dorsey Levens, same in 2004.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Q_the_man said:
take away Emmitt and Dallas does not will those Super Bowls
Yes they do. Our defense was dominating. Almost any decent RB would have been able to fill his spot. We would have been a passing team instead of a running team is the only difference. To make the statement you do is to discredit far to many players we had back then.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
In 1999 the backup runningback was Eric Bieniemy, in 2000 the starting runningback for most of the season was Darnell Autry, in 2001 the backup was a rookie Buckhalter, in 2002 the backup was Dorsey Levens, same in 2004.

2000 Duce Staley, Darnell Autry, Stanley Pritchett, Brian Mitchell

2001 Duce Staley, Correll Buckhalter,

2002 Duce Staley, Dorsey Levens, Brian Westbrook

2003 Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter, Duce Staley

I don't know but that looks like a pretty good list to me. what made them so good was the fact everyone one of them was a good receiver as well. None of them were dominant backs but they were so interchangable they were always fresh. One of your teams dumbest moves was letting Duce go. IMO

BTW in 01 Stayley had 604 yrds rushing and 63 receptions for 626
Buckhalter had 586 rushing and 130 receiving

AJM1613

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
2000 Duce Staley, Darnell Autry, Stanley Pritchett, Brian Mitchell

2001 Duce Staley, Correll Buckhalter,

2002 Duce Staley, Dorsey Levens, Brian Westbrook

2003 Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter, Duce Staley

I don't know but that looks like a pretty good list to me. what made them so good was the fact everyone one of them was a good receiver as well. None of them were dominant backs but they were so interchangable they were always fresh. One of your teams dumbest moves was letting Duce go. IMO

BTW in 01 Stayley had 604 yrds rushing and 63 receptions for 626
Buckhalter had 586 rushing and 130 receiving

Staley played five games in 2000 and was replaced by Darnell Autry who played a combined two seasons with a remarkable career 2.9 yards per attempt. Pritchett had to move to runningback from fullback because of Duce's injury. Actually we only had one good rushing game that entire season, week one against Dallas. The Eagles backs ran for 269 yards that game, and after that the seven backs (Autry, Staley, Pritchett, Mitchell, Martin, Warren, Lee) ran the ball 233 times for 942 yards in 15 games.

In 2001 Duce was coming off the Lis Franc injury and was probably playing at 50-60%. This is the reason for Buckhalter's high yardage total. Buckhalter is not a good receiver.

In 2002 McNabb missed six games so Staley was able to get over 1,000 yards (Reid obviously didn't trust Feeley). Still, in ten games, McNabb was our second leading rusher.

I don't care if you think McNabb is overrated or not, but please don't say he has had a nice offensive supporting cast before 2004.

And catching a lot of balls doesn't make a back a good receiver.

jksmith269

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
And catching a lot of balls doesn't make a back a good receiver.

If catching a lot of passes doesn't make a Back a good receiving back then what does?

And considering I don't follow the Eagles I'll take your word for it about the Duce injury and all. But I still think they had good backs during your first 3 nfc championships 01-03. But bottom line is McFlabb isn't as good as people make him out to be and he isn't worth 112m.

zorg222

nose picker
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
By Stephen A. Smith
spacer.gif

zorg no like him:D

jimmy40

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
One thing I noticed and this board and the Eagles':

The least understandable posters think McNabb's overrated.

And this Eagles team is a better team than the one in the early nineties, and they went 10-6, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 with one of the worst coaches in NFL history.
As an uninterested observer of Eagles football I would have to say the Eagles team of the early nineties would kick the crap out of your current team. jmo of course.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chief said:
I think it's funny that Owens was referred to in the article by some personnel guy as a "independent thinker."

Is that what they call head cases these days?

And a team player gets tagged "a company man". :p:

Is Owens a greater talent than McNabb? Of course. He is the premier receiver in the game today. McNabb is nowhere near Owens' level of dominance.

But TO is also arguably the best (worst) example of the narcissitic, self-indulgent, ego-ridden punk in sports today.

Last offseason, TO was proclaiming how badly he wanted to play with his good buddy McNabb. But the Garcia Bug has bitten again - this jerk seems congenitally unable to stop building himself up, and tearing down everything around him that doesn't reflect his own inflated sense of self importance.

He is not a typical individualistic, just-give-me-the-ball receiver.

He is one sick puppy, imo. It's not just about the money he may or may not deserve.. It's about this misfit's fundamental inability to cooperate.

Screw him.

And I hope Lurie and Reid do. :rolleyes:

AJM1613

Reaction score
According to Owens on his website from yesterday the fourteenth:

Talked to D-Mac yet? Apologized for the misunderstanding?

NO, Y SHOULD I APOLOGIZE 4 SPECULATION OF THE MEDIA!! IT WS DEF A PLOY BY THE MEDIA 2 PUT US AGAINST EACH OTHER, I HV NOTHIN AGAINST DONOVAN BUT THE MEDIA HAS DEF MADE IT SEEM THT WAY!!!

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

NO, Y SHOULD I APOLOGIZE 4 SPECULATION OF THE MEDIA!! IT WS DEF A PLOY BY THE MEDIA 2 PUT US AGAINST EACH OTHER, I HV NOTHIN AGAINST DONOVAN BUT THE MEDIA HAS DEF MADE IT SEEM THT WAY!!!

Ah so I guess we all have it wrong. Owens never said anything about McNabb bein the one who got sick in the Super Bowl. It was all made up by the media. And McNabb takin shots back at Owens never hapt either. This was all just made up by the media. Thanx for clearin this up AJM. Ill never believe the media again thanx to you.

jksmith269

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

T.O. sounds like he needs to go back to Grammer School. If he didn't have anything against McFlabb then why make the comment he made?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
McNabb is overrated. Durin a game Troy Aikman was layin the smak on him sayin how he has never seen a QB make such dumb choices and how his accuracy just bites. But hey what does a 3 time Super Bowl winner and Super Bowl MVP and future HOFer know about playin QB.

McNabb is average at the very best. Even teammates Terell Owens and Freddie Mitchell didnt think much of him. And like the artie says...nobody is comin to his defense either.

Smak us all you want about us sayin what we do about McNabb and not thinkin much of him compared to your board but it looks like some of the players on YOUR team dont think to different then we do.
Judas Priest what a cluster. You made his point for him.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Ah so I guess we all have it wrong. Owens never said anything about McNabb bein the one who got sick in the Super Bowl. It was all made up by the media. And McNabb takin shots back at Owens never hapt either. This was all just made up by the media. Thanx for clearin this up AJM.

He never did say anything about McNabb being sick in the Super Bowl, he said that he didn't get tired. Did he? It was obviously a shot, but he did say he has nothing wrong with McNabb.

And all McNabb said was that the Eagles could win the Super Bowl without him.

Ill never believe the media again thanx to you.

You shouldn't believe the media anyways. You must know that they try to make everything juicier than it really is.

Randy White

Reaction score
Divide and conquer. That's the strategy.

It's asinine to take Owen's and Mitchell's behavior as a reflection of McNabb's worth. McNabb is one of the best QBs in the league, no matter what Mitchell or Owens say.

jksmith269

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
He never did say anything about McNabb being sick in the Super Bowl, he said that he didn't get tired. Did he? It was obviously a shot, but he did say he has nothing wrong with McNabb.

You shouldn't believe the media anyways. You must know that they try to make everything juicier than it really is.

He said "I wasn't the one who got tired in the SB was I"

McFlabb said "Keep my name out of your mouth if you have a problem with me call me we can settle it like men"

Sounds like more than a misunderstanding to me...But I guess you have rose colored glasses on but hey if it were the cowboys we'd be doing the same defending our players. Well some of us would....Some of us would tell it like it is and not blow smoke up your butt like your trying to do to us...

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

What about when McNabb was p*ssed at Owens and said leave his name outta it. He slammed Owens for not talkin to him and how he isnt hard to get ahold of. He also said how he never slams his teammates in the media like Owens did.

Oh wait. I guess McNabb never really said this. Just made up by the media.

AJM1613

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
He said "I wasn't the one who got tired in the SB was I"

McFlabb said "Keep my name out of your mouth if you have a problem with me call me we can settle it like men"

Sounds like more than a misunderstanding to me...But I guess you have rose colored glasses on but hey if it were the cowboys we'd be doing the same defending our players. Well some of us would....Some of us would tell it like it is and not blow smoke up your butt like your trying to do to us...

I didn't saying it was a misunderstanding, I said it was a shot but it was overly publicized in the media after it happened. According to Owens, he didn't mean it. I never said I believed him, but that's what he said.

jksmith269

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I didn't saying it was a misunderstanding, I said it was a shot but it was overly publicized in the media after it happened. According to Owens, he didn't mean it. I never said I believed him, but that's what he said.

I think you guys got a bargin last year when the NFL let TO out of the Ravens trade and this year your getting the Curse of the Deal. I don't see how either side saves face on this deal and T.O. stay with the team? Do you have any idea?

AJM1613

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I think you guys got a bargin last year when the NFL let TO out of the Ravens trade and this year your getting the Curse of the Deal. I don't see how either side saves face on this deal and T.O. stay with the team? Do you have any idea?

Owens' contract said the date he had to apply for free agency and that wasn't the same date under the new rule that was writen after he signed the contract. The only reason why we had to give up anything was because Baltimore couldn't go out and sign another receiver and San Francisco thought they had a second round pick so we gave them a defensive end who they cut after one season.

And TO could save face and stay with the team if he shows up and plays.