Twitter: Stephen confirms Jaylon RFA

RoboQB

Reaction score
Still dumb to take Zeke at 4 and then a guy who wasn't going to play for a year at 36.

In a vacuum it's a fine pick, but relative to....the entire rest of the team, it was dumb.

I respect your take on this but it's worked out well.
Let's take Zeke out of the conversation for a moment. Ultimately, you're right. We need to win
a SB this year for the Zeke pick to meet the expectation of taking a RB with the 4th overall selection... but I liked the pick.

Back to Smith. This is a stroke of luck. Clean bill of health and vastly improved, Jaylon Smith
should be a Pro Bowler this year. And, as luck would have it, playing next to him is a freak of
nature, LVE. He came on strong as a rookie. Now a day one starter this year. We have two
superstars now playing side by side at linebacker.

Call it an oil man's gamble that struck oil... but I concede he'll need the SB Trophy in hand this
year or next to pay off completely on the gamble.

cern

Reaction score
Revisionist history is reinterpretation. They made a win-now pick, followed by a win-later pick. It's revisionist history to say that the logic was sound because the second pick turned into a good player. What Jaylon turned out to be is 10000000% new informatoin.
As someone mentioned earlier, you don't seem to understand the term. No harm, no foul.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I got to imagine they will slap a first round tender on him wonder if someone will pony up see if Dallas matches

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Spending a 2nd round pick on Jaylon Smith was no more wasteful than the Chiefs spending a 1st round pick in 2017 on Patrick Mahomes and then having him sit for a year behind Alex Smith. The Cowboys did their due diligence, and based on the opinions of their doctors, Smith would recover fully. So they calculated into the equation a red-shirt year, knowing he would be a Restricted Free Agent after his contract expired, so that they would have him for 5 seasons. In effect, they got a fifth year option on a 2nd round pick.

This was all KNOWN by the Cowboys when they made the pick. The risk that Smith would not recover was no greater than the risk that Patrick Mahomes would be a bust, and no greater than the risk the Cowboys took in 2012 when they traded up for Morris Claiborne. I didn't like trading up for Claiborne and was proven correct in the long run. Others didn't like the Cowboys taking a risk on Jaylon, and have been proven wrong. So instead of admitting they were wrong, they instead cling to the logic they used when the pick was made - erroneously believing that the Cowboys should have adopted their logic instead of the decision making process the Cowboys actually used.

On another front, it appears both the Cowboys and I were wrong about taking a risk on Randy Gregory. Although he remains on the team, and is still being supported, he is squandering the talent he has during what should be some of his most productive years. I was thrilled when the Cowboys chose him at #60, and still believe I would make the same choice given the information I had at the time. But time and experience are proving me and the Cowboys wrong. I'm willing to admit that.

It's not revising history to say you were wrong in your logic. Another example. I thought the Cowboys made a mistake choosing DeMarcus Ware over Shawne Merriman, and was even more convinced of this when Merriman won Defensive Rookie of the Year after the 2005 season. As late as the spring of 2007, I was still opining about how the Cowboys made a mistake. Well, it turns out I was wrong and the Cowboys were right. Merriman flamed out, and Ware is one of the top pass rushing OLB's in NFL history.

Those who thought the Cowboys made a mistake in drafting Jaylon Smith are being proven wrong. Smith played at near a Pro Bowl level last year, ending the season with 121 tackles and 4 sacks. That's pretty good for a MLB. He made a game saving tackle against the Saints, and his speed and physicality is a big factor in the dramatic improvement of the defense last season. Instead of clinging to your position, I recommend celebrating the fact that the Cowboys were right and you were wrong.

Frankly, when the Cowboys make a decision I don't like at the time, I almost always hope I'm wrong, and am happy to both admit it and celebrate it when it turns out that the men who spend their livelihoods and careers soaked in football turn out to know more than some random engineer like me who just happens to have a few opinions, and who operates on much less information than they have at their disposal. There's no shame in the Cowboys making a better football decision than a fan would make. The fan doesn't have the information or resources at his disposal that the Cowboys have. So let it go, and be happy to be wrong when the Cowboys get something right. Sheesh!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Spending a 2nd round pick on Jaylon Smith was no more wasteful than the Chiefs spending a 1st round pick in 2017 on Patrick Mahomes and then having him sit for a year behind Alex Smith. The Cowboys did their due diligence, and based on the opinions of their doctors, Smith would recover fully. So they calculated into the equation a red-shirt year, knowing he would be a Restricted Free Agent after his contract expired, so that they would have him for 5 seasons. In effect, they got a fifth year option on a 2nd round pick.

This was all KNOWN by the Cowboys when they made the pick. The risk that Smith would not recover was no greater than the risk that Patrick Mahomes would be a bust, and no greater than the risk the Cowboys took in 2012 when they traded up for Morris Claiborne. I didn't like trading up for Claiborne and was proven correct in the long run. Others didn't like the Cowboys taking a risk on Jaylon, and have been proven wrong. So instead of admitting they were wrong, they instead cling to the logic they used when the pick was made - erroneously believing that the Cowboys should have adopted their logic instead of the decision making process the Cowboys actually used.

On another front, it appears both the Cowboys and I were wrong about taking a risk on Randy Gregory. Although he remains on the team, and is still being supported, he is squandering the talent he has during what should be some of his most productive years. I was thrilled when the Cowboys chose him at #60, and still believe I would make the same choice given the information I had at the time. But time and experience are proving me and the Cowboys wrong. I'm willing to admit that.

It's not revising history to say you were wrong in your logic. Another example. I thought the Cowboys made a mistake choosing DeMarcus Ware over Shawne Merriman, and was even more convinced of this when Merriman won Defensive Rookie of the Year after the 2005 season. As late as the spring of 2007, I was still opining about how the Cowboys made a mistake. Well, it turns out I was wrong and the Cowboys were right. Merriman flamed out, and Ware is one of the top pass rushing OLB's in NFL history.

Those who thought the Cowboys made a mistake in drafting Jaylon Smith are being proven wrong. Smith played at near a Pro Bowl level last year, ending the season with 121 tackles and 4 sacks. That's pretty good for a MLB. He made a game saving tackle against the Saints, and his speed and physicality is a big factor in the dramatic improvement of the defense last season. Instead of clinging to your position, I recommend celebrating the fact that the Cowboys were right and you were wrong.

Frankly, when the Cowboys make a decision I don't like at the time, I almost always hope I'm wrong, and am happy to both admit it and celebrate it when it turns out that the men who spend their livelihoods and careers soaked in football turn out to know more than some random engineer like me who just happens to have a few opinions, and who operates on much less information than they have at their disposal. There's no shame in the Cowboys making a better football decision than a fan would make. The fan doesn't have the information or resources at his disposal that the Cowboys have. So let it go, and be happy to be wrong when the Cowboys get something right. Sheesh!
Good take

JSmith is starting to play like a ProBowler but he hasn't yet and the injury/recovery is being understated ..... that is revisionist history

He had one of the most gruesome knee injuries ever and the nerve damage and dropfoot could have been career ending...... his nerve didn't start firing until the Summer of 2017 and everyone here was panicking...... no way he plays the same way with a brace

I am all for taking chances but no longer cool with risking 2nd round picks

Use late picks and Waivers..... guys like RFoster and KHunt and JGordon are the types of gambles to take....... low risk, high return bad PR guys.... but they don't cost valuable Draft Picks

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jerry said last year that everything the doctor had said to expect on Jaylon's recovery was correct.

cern

Reaction score

very logical post, army. and one devoid of any historical revisionism.