Stephen is giving Dallas a bad name being cheap

Sydla

Reaction score
we did go after a stud...……….Sammy Watkins. offered him 15 million, but he went to the chiefs for the same money. after that, there weren't any other wr's worth pursuing for big money. then the brilliant move to get cooper. Stephen's not cheap. he's smart. he brought in swing tackles in free agency. looney was able to play the entire season with freddy on ir. he drafter vander esch and filled a hole at lb. he drafted gallup who showed a lot as the season went on when many pined for ridley. he drafter connor Williams who will be a good lineman. the year before he brought in chido and lewis for the backfield and rid our team of scando and the rest of the d-back scrubs.

You give Stephen too much credit.

I don't think he's necessarily cheap. I just think he and the front office suck at FA and apparently can't figure out how to use it wisely like other, more successful teams have. I think they truly struggle at putting a value on some of these guys, especially the middle tier of FA.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Maybe one season Jerry will hire a real GM? It is a dream....

Which team has the most wins the past 20 years? Yeah, no super bowl and limited playoff victories but wins, nevertheless.

Check out some of these other 'real' GMs and their crazy deals.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think Stephen's approach is necessarily bad. How many big time free agents have the Patriots signed in the last decade? The problem is, they have Belechick (basically GM/HC)...Dallas has Jerry and The Clapper.

They signed the best FA CB on the market to a big deal just two offseasons ago. And they take on salary if they think it can help. They just traded for Bennett last week and they added Brandin Cooks and his largish cap hit two years ago as well.

People should stop trying to argue that what we do is similar to what the Patriots do.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team will go nowhere until the FO shows the ability to sign QUALITY FAs, outside of their own.

It may be accurate to say they won’t win it all unless they do this, but they actually have gone “somewhere” (division champs and to the division round of the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years). Obviously that is falling short of the goal of getting to and winning the Super Bowl, and we should all want more, but for the sake of accuracy let’s not act as if there hasn’t been any progress at all. Now it’s a matter of getting over the hump.

Sydla

Reaction score
Eagles lost their best MLB and the QB who actually could beat Dallas....
Dallas already got the Best Free Agent w DLaw ..and it's not over its day 2 lol

Nick Foles was 1-4 against the Cowboys in his career. Their best MLB was Hicks, who barely played last year because he's always hurt.

I think their biggest loss was actually trading Bennett away. He was their best past rusher last year by year end but with their cap issues and Barnett coming back, Bennett was a likely candidate to go.

Sydla

Reaction score
It may be accurate to say they won’t win it all unless they do this, but they actually have gone “somewhere” (division champs and to the division round of the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years). Obviously that is falling short of the goal of getting to and winning the Super Bowl, and we should all want more, but for the sake of accuracy let’s not act as if there hasn’t been any progress at all. Now it’s a matter of getting over the hump.

Well for the sake of accuracy, this current version of the Cowboys is likely no better than the ones that won 13 and 11 games in three years in Dallas under Wade Phillips and also lost in the divisional rounds of the playoffs before Phillips got canned in Year 4.

So "progress" is in the eye of the beholder or if you simply are setting the bar at Garrett's pretty bland start to his career where a 10-6, record and a division win is real progress when compared to a bunch of 8-8 bland seasons.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You give Stephen too much credit.

I don't think he's necessarily cheap. I just think he and the front office suck at FA and apparently can't figure out how to use it wisely like other, more successful teams have. I think they truly struggle at putting a value on some of these guys, especially the middle tier of FA.
The fault I think is they are too rigid in how to use free agency. The example cern gave of going after Sammy Watkins shows the team is willing to spend, but when that one target failed they had no alternative. Same with the effort at ET last season - one target, and when it failed, no alternative. I think the basic idea of being selective with outside free agents and not relying heavily on big signings year to year is a good one, but it can’t be so rigid that it prohibits ever making anything happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well for the sake of accuracy, this current version of the Cowboys is likely no better than the ones that won 13 and 11 games in three years in Dallas under Wade Phillips and also lost in the divisional rounds of the playoffs before Phillips got canned in Year 4.

So "progress" is in the eye of the beholder or if you simply are setting the bar at Garrett's pretty bland start to his career where a 10-6, record and a division win is real progress when compared to a bunch of 8-8 bland seasons.
That may be true, but the point is the team has had some success, and now it is a matter of getting over the hump.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree hes being smart day 1...everyone overpaying for average talent....sure I want that Big splashy signing But you dont see the Patriots doing anything and ALL they do is win and cut players w Big contracts
Belichick could win a SB with far less talent than most ever could. There is a chasm between us and them larger than the distance from the earth Earth to the sun. Why do people always fall back on what the Patriots do?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
That may be true, but the point is the team has had some success, and now it is a matter of getting over the hump.
If by success you mean running into the same brick wall on occasion then sure. It's not even a hump anymore it's grown into a cliff and the FO are apparently afraid of heights.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If by success you mean running into the same brick wall on occasion then sure. It's not even a hump anymore it's grown into a cliff and the FO are apparently afraid of heights.
No, by success I mean they are winning the division and making the playoffs, and even ocassionally winning a playoff game. I talked about it not being enough, and that we should want more and not be satisfied, so don’t go there if that is what you are trying to pin on me.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
No, by success I mean they are winning the division and making the playoffs, and even ocassionally winning a playoff game. I talked about it not being enough, and that we should want more and not be satisfied, so don’t go there if that is what you are trying to pin on me.
By brick wall I meant divisional round. I am well aware of what you meant.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Now it’s a matter of getting over the hump.
And that involves the ability to successfully sign veteran FAs, from outside the organization. They've already shown the ability to draft well, now lets supplement that young core with smart, quality, FA acquisitions. Not of the bargain basement variety.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that involves the ability to successfully sign veteran FAs, from outside the organization. They've already shown the ability to draft well, now lets supplement that young core with smart, quality, FA acquisitions. Not of the bargain basement variety.
That’s part of what I was saying. I don’t think they need to spend freely on outside free agents because that would undermine the success they have had building through the draft, but an ocassional key piece of the puzzle could be added through free agency.

visionary

Reaction score
That’s part of what I was saying. I don’t think they need to spend freely on outside free agents because that would undermine the success they have had building through the draft, but an ocassional key piece of the puzzle could be added through free agency.

"Success" :laugh:
In the NFL success is defined by championships
Care to tell is how much "success" we have had in the last 2 decades :facepalm:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Success" :laugh:
In the NFL success is defined by championships
Care to tell is how much "success" we have had in the last 2 decades :facepalm:

You aren’t paying attention to what I’m saying, so, I won’t pay attention to what you are saying.