Twitter: Stephen Jones’ biggest swing & miss: Not signing Dak 1st time

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It was a feeble attempt at humor on my part, but Im on board as I always am this time of year, and we better hope and pray for Daks success at this point there is no turning back,,, we are Dak in and Dak win time.
I look at this team as having a good a shot as a lot of other teams, but fewer in the NFC vs AFC comp, so this 2021 Cowboys roster on paper and current health can be a contender,, yes I can stand out on that fandom plank.
I'm with you out on that plank. After the way the 2020 season ended, I didn't see how I could return to this optimism in 2021 but without fail, here I am. The vicious cycle continues and I'm in for another season, hopeful and sold on the idea that this could be their year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would be hard pressed to find another NFL executive having this kind of public “confessional” about his mistakes. And the reason SJ is so willing to do this kind of interview is 99.9% of other NFL execs lose their jobs over the kind of front office blunders this guy has overseen.

:hammer:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
JJ had every right to be cautious. He didn't want to end up like the Egals paying their former starting QB $30 million playing for another franchise. BOOM!

cowboyed

Reaction score
To me this is just another indicator that Jerry is pretty much a GM figure-head. Don't confuse that just because he speaks to the media and throws his perceptions around about what he may do. A good number in here blamed Jerry for screwing up the first Dak signing attempt. Things go on behind the scenes we don't know cack about.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Cowboys fans are the worst in the NFL. SJ is trying to acknowledge to the fans he messed up there and he knows it. This is how we learn and improve ourselves to not make mistakes like that again. Also, I think the public acknowledgment of that mistake was a cathartic exercise for SJ to forgive himself and move on. These are good things but rather than see this, it is only received by the foolish fans with mockery and scorn. How I do hate the wisecracking immature Cowboys fans. If there is a football god, he sees you fans for who you are, and for that, you have been punished for going on 25 years. Don't blame the Jones boys, its you that has caused this void of accomplishment by the Cowboys... you don't deserve anything better.
This doesn't make any sense :laugh: Forgive himself? Get real; he isn't qualified to be a GM, you think he cares about wasting his dad's money?

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ElegantRedCrocodile-max-1mb.gif

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
JJ had every right to be cautious. He didn't want to end up like the Egals paying their former starting QB $30 million playing for another franchise. BOOM!
You're more right on this point than most acknowledge on here; the other two who received these contracts immed. proved unworthy. That had to make JJ gun shy...luckily we got the better QB of that group; but it made me hesitant as well.

Why are we so anxious to sign at the max and have to get rid of our QB (how I saw it unfolding; how to get out from under the contract, etc.)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense Forgive himself? Get real; he isn't qualified to be a GM, you think he cares about wasting his dad's money?
That response makes total sense from a Cowboys fan that doesn't appreciate the ownership this team has. You're so ungrateful.

Mannix

Reaction score
Dak did not want to sign early. It was well publicized.
If you mean for 31 million, you would be correct….but I guarantee that he would jumped all over 35-36 million. Could have possibly saved us upward of 20 million in cap space, and had money left over for plugs and lapband.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak did not want to sign early. It was well publicized.

Rumors have it that Dak didn't want an extension after his 3rd season. That's when teams normally sign a QB they want to keep. That's not what this is about. I think they're talking about tagging him after his 4th season instead of coming up with a deal.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Not true......he wanted to sign. Remember Stephen offered him top 5 money. At the time I think Wilson was the highest-paid QB at $35M. If you recall, Dak even admitted he didn't expect Wilson money. We could have made him the 2nd high paid at $34M average. Stephen got caught up with ranking crap, not realizing or understand QB numbers were with every new signing. In other words, the longer he waited the more it was going to cost.
Dak was betting on himself and he won. It’s well known that he turned down contract e tensions after his third year and that he rejected numerous offers after the fourth. The FO tried to sign him early and he said no. He knew he would get more $ later and he was 100% right.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak was betting on himself and he won. It’s well known that he turned down contract e tensions after his third year and that he rejected numerous offers after the fourth. The FO tried to sign him early and he said no. He knew he would get more $ later and he was 100% right.
He didn't get more. He lost around 2 mil by not signing the earlier offer.