Twitter: Stephen Jones’ biggest swing & miss: Not signing Dak 1st time

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Its still crazy he got everything he wanted even after a catastrophic injury. I feel many would protect themselves with only making a short term investment. However, I hope the best version of Dak is ahead...

That wasn't an option. Either they gave Dak what he wanted or let him become a free agent. Dak's agent knew the Cowboys would cave, just like they did with Zeke and DLaw.

No way was Jerry going to let his QB walk and another franchise tag was not a realistic option at $54 million, so Dak got what he wanted.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
sure but the exception is the self proclaimed Mr mayor of positive town who goes around and is negative all the time..
The general rumor is that you buy that right>>> IDK,,, but I got no green stripe

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

But if Dak had been signed earlier the other contracts they needed to put a team around him would not have happened. The FO had a plan...not a crystal ball. Nobody saw Covid coming and the interruption of income to the Franchises. Nobody knew the amount of injuries coming. No Dak had to wait. This is revisionist history. Stop it Stephen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That wasn't an option. Either they gave Dak what he wanted or let him become a free agent. Dak's agent knew the Cowboys would cave, just like they did with Zeke and DLaw.

No way was Jerry going to let his QB walk and another franchise tag was not a realistic option at $54 million, so Dak got what he wanted.

And the Cowboys never considered any alternatives either. They even said so themselves. That gives the other side all the leverage in negotiations as well.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And the Cowboys never considered any alternatives either. They even said so themselves. That gives the other side all the leverage in negotiations as well.

What? The people who publicly said they knew Zeke's contract "begins with Gurley's and goes from there" flushed their own leverage? Imagine that. :muttley:

Stephen is an incompetent fool, but Jerry is a self-made billionaire. He didn't get that way by botching business deals. The only reason i can see why he does with players is because he gets emotionally attached to them, to the detriment of the entire team.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? The people who publicly said they knew Zeke's contract "begins with Gurley's and goes from there" flushed their own leverage? Imagine that. :muttley:

Stephen is an incompetent fool, but Jerry is a self-made billionaire. He didn't get that way by botching business deals. The only reason i can see why he does with players is because he gets emotionally attached to them, to the detriment of the entire team.
:lmao2:
That's why he cut Dez and benched Romo! Emotional attachment...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would be hard pressed to find another NFL executive having this kind of public “confessional” about his mistakes. And the reason SJ is so willing to do this kind of interview is 99.9% of other NFL execs lose their jobs over the kind of front office blunders this guy has overseen.

You got Rockport to like this post.

That's damn impressive, Bob.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

100%.

I think there are so many examples where the Joneses get attached to their players and can’t bear the thought of life without them.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No you don't

Actually, yes, I do.

Felt the same way with overpaying Aikman and Romo and not having enough for other pieces. I'm not a fan of too many eggs in one basket.

I like Dak as a QB. Not as a $40M QB in a league with a hard salary cap. I think he has better than average talent at QB especially when he runs the QB/RB read run option with Elliott and is a good team leader. Has accuracy issues at times, fails to elevate play in big games, and I don't think he is a strength when it comes to reading defenses and audibling.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with you out on that plank. After the way the 2020 season ended, I didn't see how I could return to this optimism in 2021 but without fail, here I am. The vicious cycle continues and I'm in for another season, hopeful and sold on the idea that this could be their year.
I am not sure about "their year"....

I just want to compete, get some big wins, beat the snot out of a historically (once proud) pathetic division....and go strong into the playoffs.