Twitter: Stephen Jones admits they would have reached for a cornerback had Horn or Surtain been there

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Serves no purpose at all, nor does for any other team who does it. They are asked question and they respond to the question. Is some of it no more than blowing smoke? sure.
Funny thing is on draft day when Dallas made the pick, the 1st thing people started saying was "what are we going to do at CB? and how Jerry blew it. We get the CB in the 2nd and the reaction, what about safety they don't know what they are doing. No matter who Dallas selected people will look to attack Jerry and Stephen, that is just the reality.

Until the team actually advances in the playoffs and shows some metal, that is largely true and merited. The main issue for me isn't even the players, it is that they rarely maximize the value of the picks, make effective trades, or seem to know what any other team in the draft might do. Since the Mo Claiborne disaster trade, we have been content to just sit and let players fall where they may rather than targeting specific players that fit an organizational football philosophy. Sometimes it works out as in the Zach Martin pick or the Travis Frederick pick. But all in all, its added up to an annual roster thin on talent that can't survive injuries or less than peak performances.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This looks like it could be banner year for defense in our draft. I’d say a great job overall . I think most graded us an A.

So, why would our FO come out with such an admission as such at this time ? Any thoughts besides just moronic or slipping of the tongue answering questions ??

Big_D

Reaction score
Could they have went corner if the opportunity presented itself? Yes. You have Diggs and slim pickings after that. The draft unfolded the way it did and the Cowboys made smart decisions! If they would have traded up for a corner I would’ve been pissed. But Parsons falling in their lap worked out for the best. It’s a fine line in the draft. Denver or Carolina could easily go LB and it changes the whole dynamic of the draft. I don’t get caught up in what they would’ve or could’ve done. Means absolutely nothing at this point. I only care about what actually happened..

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Yesterday Michael Gehlken tweeted that Parsons was not only the top defender but also the #4 rated player overall on the Cowboys board.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I would rather have Stephen Jones reach for a plastic surgeon. Parental bad aim feeding him with a slingshot.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Did they say Parson's was their target all along, or did they say Parson's was their highest rated defensive player? I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying that my recollection was they talked about where Parson was on the board rather than who they would have drafted if all options were available. My brain can be a bit feeble at times though.
This is what I remember from when it happened. They said that Parsons was they’re highest rated defensive player and offered to show the board to prove it.

I remember everyone reporting it that way too. They all said “highest rated player” not their target.

Now it seems like I read something from Fish where he was hinting that Jones was saying Parsons was the guy all along but I think that was just a conclusion that Fish jumped to. Even other reporters who work with Fish at Sports Illustrated were saying that Jerry called Micah their highest rated defensive player… not their target.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This looks like it could be banner year for defense in our draft. I’d say a great job overall . I think most graded us an A.

So, why would our FO come out with such an admission as such at this time ? Any thoughts besides just moronic or slipping of the tongue answering questions ??

They are so used to saying whatever the heck they want without filter....... why stop now? Losing isn't enough of a consequence. Organizational discord doesn't faze them.

Every year, fans and media give them a pass regardless of the reality that unfolded on the field the pervious year. Worst defense in cowboy history gets a few rookie LB upgrades, a new DC, and suddenly hope springs eternal.