Twitter: Stephen Jones admits they would have reached for a cornerback had Horn or Surtain been there

HungryLion

Reaction score
That they made a mistake.

IMO, Parsons is that player that teams will talk about that they should have drafted.

I was kind of shocked the Broncos didn’t take Parsons (or Justin Fields)

Parsons to play opposite Von Miller seemed like a great fit.

no disrespect to Patrick Surtain. But I was shocked.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It probably speaks more to his previous off field drama and the fact he sat out the season for Covid.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...ons-has-past-make-nfl-teams-pause/7221446002/

True, he dropped in the draft and had some teams saying they would not draft him period because of the concerns over the hazing issue at Penn. State. Really not sure why some are coming down on Jones for selecting him. Neither CB selected would not have been a reach, they fell were most projected them. Dallas could have passed on Parsons as well but did recognize based on the information and tape on him that this kid was a real talent and made the pick. I'm sorry but some of these Jones attack really are lame. Dallas made the pick that others were unwilling to make so why the attack? I have seen comments how Dallas backed into the pick? BS others choose not to take a chance on Parsons, Dallas did. I think there is just so much anti Jones that no matter what this team does people are going to do their BMW (B-----, Moan and whine) Looking at the draft I think Jerry and company did a very good job and not just with Parsons.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was kind of shocked the Broncos didn’t take Parsons (or Justin Fields)

Parsons to play opposite Von Miller seemed like a great fit.

no disrespect to Patrick Surtain. But I was shocked.
The CB prospects were 2nd round talent in this draft. Didn't see any that really stood out. Too many questions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, he dropped in the draft and had some teams saying they would not draft him period because of the concerns over the hazing issue at Penn. State. Really not sure why some are coming down on Jones for selecting him. Neither CB selected would not have been a reach, they fell were most projected them. Dallas could have passed on Parsons as well but did recognize based on the information and tape on him that this kid was a real talent and made the pick. I'm sorry but some of these Jones attack really are lame. Dallas made the pick that others were unwilling to make so why the attack? I have seen comments how Dallas backed into the pick? BS others choose not to take a chance on Parsons, Dallas did. I think there is just so much anti Jones that no matter what this team does people are going to do their BMW (B-----, Moan and whine) Looking at the draft I think Jerry and company did a very good job and not just with Parsons.
I agree .Parsons was a solid pick and picking up a 3rd round pick to boot appears to be a great move.

The issue with our FO is they initially after the pick said Parsons was their target all along when we knew the two CB’s were. And only now are they coming out to admit.

The question is why.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would agree w/ your post w/o the anti-Jerry hater stuff. Jerry deserves any hate he gets.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree .Parsons was a solid pick and picking up a 3rd round pick to boot appears to be a great move.

The issue with our FO is they initially after the pick said Parsons was their target all along when we knew the two CB’s were. And only know are they coming out to admit.

The question is why.
The serious answer is that they lack football smarts. They really don't get it, which is why they make odd draft picks and get abused in trades and say such mindnumbingly stupid stuff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The serious answer is that they lack football smarts. They really don't get it, which is why they make odd draft picks and get abused in trades and say such mindnumbingly stupid stuff.
Of course . Totally agree .

But it still doesn’t answer why at this point decided to come out publicly with this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

The issue with our FO is they initially after the pick said Parsons was their target all along when we knew the two CB’s were. And only now are they coming out to admit.

The question is why.

what does it matter? I don't know if Parson was the guy or not, I do know that the CB were clearly in the picture but in the end what does it really matter? Dallas got one of the players who was high on their draft board and at the end of the day that is what matters, what you actually did

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course . Totally agree .

But it still doesn’t answer why at this point decided to come out publicly with this.
It does. Fits into the mindnumbingly stupid stuff part!!!!

Basically, they're rich. So, they're used to saying whatever they want. And they refuse to monitor themselves. Because that would take effort, and they do not like putting effort into things. Which is why they are terrible GM's.

kskboys

Reaction score
what does it matter? I don't know if Parson was the guy or not, I do know that the CB were clearly in the picture but in the end what does it really matter? Dallas got one of the players who was high on their draft board and at the end of the day that is what matters, what you actually did
Of course. That's obvious.

Some people like to discuss stuff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand . But there has to be a reason or strategy they are coming out admitting as such. Besides the obvious moronic gesture Kskboys is accurately depicting.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Lack of football smarts? looking at the draft I think they hit on more than just Parsons, Dallas got one of the top defenders and a extra pick to boot. I think they get it, I think the real deal is we have so many who despise the Jones that they look to attack over any and everything. Jerry clearly deserves much of the heat he takes but at least be man enough to give credit when it is due. Yet many can't

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It does. Fits into the mindnumbingly stupid stuff part!!!!

Basically, they're rich. So, they're used to saying whatever they want. And they refuse to monitor themselves. Because that would take effort, and they do not like putting effort into things. Which is why they are terrible GM's.
I agree with all. But I can’t help but believe there’s a little more to this .

I think they are playing to the media. They are concerned those two CB could be hits. And if Parsons isn’t they want it known they were their initial target.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I understand . But there has to be a reason or strategy they are coming out admitting as such. Besides the obvious moronic gesture Kskboys is accurately depicting.

I don't hear very many teams saying they did not get the guy they wanted. Regardless if those statements by other teams are true or not the bottom line is when your pick came up who did you select. Is Stephen blowing smoke in his comment? maybe so but again when the time came to hand in the card and make the selection did they make the right call?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lack of football smarts? looking at the draft I think they hit on more than just Parsons, Dallas got one of the top defenders and a extra pick to boot. I think they get it, I think the real deal is we have so many who despise the Jones that they look to attack over any and everything. Jerry clearly deserves much of the heat he takes but at least be man enough to give credit when it is due. Yet many can't
First of all we are stating it was a great pick and trade after the fact . But the bigger point is when confronted initially with the pick they stated Parsons was their target all along.

There was no shame in admitting initially that their 2 CB they were targeting were snatched up right in front of them. And the trade and selection for Parsons was a solid move after the fact.

But they didn’t do that . And have to be held accountable for their misconception and lie. Which still brings to question what admit it now?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't hear very many teams saying they did not get the guy they wanted. Regardless if those statements by other teams are true or not the bottom line is when your pick came up who did you select. Is Stephen blowing smoke in his comment? maybe so but again when the time came to hand in the card and make the selection did they make the right call?
I agree but again why come out and make this admission now. What purpose does it serve?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The question is why.
Did they say Parson's was their target all along, or did they say Parson's was their highest rated defensive player? I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying that my recollection was they talked about where Parson was on the board rather than who they would have drafted if all options were available. My brain can be a bit feeble at times though.