Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Can you learn read? Henry has 1.2 million guaranteed this upcoming season with his cap number being a little over 5 million. Next season it's 10 million with no guaranteed and you take a small cap hit if you cut him next season.

I repeat: Anyone who thinks this couldn't be afforded is a bigger moron than Stephen. At least Stephen is just trying to BS, you actually think it's truthful.
WTH?

Flamma

Reaction score
If the NFL wanted to make an improvement, they would exempt QBs from the salary cap. While some would get paid more, teams would be able to more quickly jettison failures.
Very good point. The idea to count players you drafted less against the cap on future contracts was another good idea. They both have 1 fatal flaw in common. It would cost owners more money. More money on players than is agreed upon in the CBA. They'll never do something that will cost them more if they don't have to. Even if it improves the game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry, but you really have no idea what you’re talking about taking into consideration the future cap hits, players potentials, future cap raises, future cuts, etc. etc. The Cowboys are at max salary cap every year. They’ve drafted well and hit on some others and now they’re where they are. This isn’t Madden with the cheat codes you guys use so that you can have anyone you want.
LOL.

It must be time of the year where Rockport defends the Jones'. This is how the Rocky calendar works. From January to about late February, Rockport blames Jerry for all their failures. From late February to maybe late March, you can see the softening of his stance. From April until December, it's full throated defense of any criticism of Jerry.

Repeat every year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Eagles envy. More than one way to skin a cat
It's not envy. It's just reality.

Other teams work the cap. They sign their players, they add a key FA or two.

We don't, for whatever reason - out of ignorance on how to manipulate the cap or self imposed cap constraints. Neither is good and is a factor in why this team has wandered without a serious post-season run for years.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can you learn read? Henry has 1.2 million guaranteed this upcoming season with his cap number being a little over 5 million. Next season it's 10 million with no guaranteed and you take a small cap hit if you cut him next season.

I repeat: Anyone who thinks this couldn't be afforded is a bigger moron than Stephen. At least Stephen is just trying to BS, you actually think it's truthful.
I actually came here to post something similar to this. Then I saw this post. I never disliked the owners as people. They don't have to run the team to my liking. But what's insulting to every fan is telling us you don't have 5M under the cap for a RB. I'm not 5 years old. I'd have more respect for them if they told us the real reason. Whatever it might be.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I remember when I was a kid getting mad at my parents because they would always say they didn't have any money when I knew damn well they did. Over the years since, I learned about planning, budgets, credit, and all manner of things.

I now think that to be childish thinking.

We know that the Cowboys do not value RB or age. Henry is several years older than Zeke and is making more money.

We also know that the Cowboys use future projections beyond the present year and budget cap allocation by position group. Capboy has talked about it recently.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's not envy. It's just reality.

Other teams work the cap. They sign their players, they add a key FA or two.

We don't, for whatever reason - out of ignorance on how to manipulate the cap or self imposed cap constraints. Neither is good and is a factor in why this team has wandered without a serious post-season run for years.
You want us to act like the Eagles act. Even better you pretend the Eagles way is the only way.

That is what it is. You still suck at deduction, Eagles Envier.

Sydla

Reaction score
You want us to act like the Eagles act. Even better you pretend the Eagles way is the only way.

Who said it is the only way? The Eagles point is only to refute the bizarre claim that we have to pay our QB and WR and DE and that's really tough and that we can't then spend in FA because we have to pay those guys. Took 5 seconds to find a team that not only paid a bunch of top level guys on their roster in the last 12-18 months but also was active in FA.

What we do know is that our way of nickel and diming out way through FA and claiming we can only pour resources into our own guys because of the cap isn't working.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Who said it is the only way? The Eagles point is only to refute the bizarre claim that we have to pay our QB and WR and DE and that's really tough and that we can't then spend in FA because we have to pay those guys. Took 5 seconds to find a team that not only paid a bunch of top level guys on their roster in the last 12-18 months but also was active in FA.

What we do know is that our way of nickel and diming out way through FA and claiming we can only pour resources into our own guys because of the cap isn't working.
You did when you went on about how the Cowboys were ignorant for not doing the Eagles way. Binary thinking is fraught but here you are.

I thought your comment was ignorant because that used to be the Cowboys way: going year by year and leveraging to the hilt.

Sydla

Reaction score
You did when you went on about how the Cowboys were ignorant for not doing the Eagles way. Binary thinking is fraught but here you are.

I thought your comment was ignorant because that used to be the Cowboys way: going year by year and leveraging to the hilt.
Your last line is interesting. We can't do what other teams do because we once did that and were leveraged to the hilt. But according to Stephen, we are still leveraged to the hilt. So we were leveraged to the hilt when we did spend in FA. We are still leveraged to the hilt this year when we haven't spent big in FA in like a decade. Spend in FA, don't spend in FA. Somehow, the poor Cowboys are always over leveraged out the wazoo.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Your last line is interesting. We can't do what other teams do because we once did that and were leveraged to the hilt. But according to Stephen, we are still leveraged to the hilt. So we were leveraged to the hilt when we did spend in FA. We are still leveraged to the hilt this year when we haven't spent big in FA in like a decade. Spend in FA, don't spend in FA. Somehow, the poor Cowboys are always over leveraged out the wazoo.
If you want to cry about Capboy's obfuscation through vagueness then go ahead. He is pretty condescending.

They do not do business like that anymore for good reason nonetheless.

I figure they see the risk when players like Romo and Aikman went out early with injury when you structure like that more than anything with Dak's massive deal pending.

This is a new and different method and I am interested to see where this goes.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, either way, we're always overpaying someone. Poor personnel evaluation skills. Free, Crawford, Jaylon, guys who simply should not have been paid.

kskboys

Reaction score

The Eagles trade away player, we don't. That might be the biggest factor.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you want to cry about Capboy's obfuscation through vagueness then go ahead. He is pretty condescending.

They do not do business like that anymore for good reason nonetheless.

I figure they see the risk when players like Romo and Aikman went out early with injury when you structure like that more than anything with Dak's massive deal pending.

This is a new and different method and I am interested to see where this goes.
His obfuscation through vagueness is a facade. A ruse. They don't spend in FA because they are, in NFL terms, cheap. Stephen convinced Jerry after the Carr situation that spending their cash on FAs was dumb and Jerry went along with it. You say they don't do business like that for good reason.......... Good reason? They haven't sniffed a conference title game in a decade, so how can one conclude going total cheap in FA is "good"?

The fact is, the Cowboys, if they wanted to, could be more active in FA if they chose. They have the ability, like other teams do, to manipulate the cap to an extent to sign a key FA or two if they wanted. They choose not to, essentially operating with one hand behind their back, compared to other teams. That's just the reality of the situation. And no, they don't have to go hog wild in FA. They could be strategic and add one high level FA to plug a hole and not wreck their cap for years.

The Cowboys operate under the same cap as everyone else. The Cowboys signed their star players like a lot of other teams do. The Cowboys make more money than any franchise in the NFL so "cash" isn't an issue either. But for some reason, the Cowboys want us to believe that they are cap poor because they sign their own guys and apparently that's not an issue other teams face, hence why they can be more active in FA. It's BS.

And it's only going to get worse when Jerry moves on from this life.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I look at the contracts the Cowboys hand out and I feel like they spend like drunken sailors. Guys like Martin and Lawrence get paid year after year like they are gods. Absolute scrubs like J Smooth and Crawford get massive deals. Degenerate clowns like Zeke and Diggs get early extensions like they are super bowl MVPs. Open your eyes people. The Cowboys spend their wad. They just spend it on the wrong people.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His obfuscation through vagueness is a facade. A ruse. They don't spend in FA because they are, in NFL terms, cheap. Stephen convinced Jerry after the Carr situation that spending their cash on FAs was dumb and Jerry went along with it. You say they don't do business like that for good reason.......... Good reason? They haven't sniffed a conference title game in a decade, so how can one conclude going total cheap in FA is "good"?

The fact is, the Cowboys, if they wanted to, could be more active in FA if they chose. They have the ability, like other teams do, to manipulate the cap to an extent to sign a key FA or two if they wanted. They choose not to, essentially operating with one hand behind their back, compared to other teams. That's just the reality of the situation. And no, they don't have to go hog wild in FA. They could be strategic and add one high level FA to plug a hole and not wreck their cap for years.

The Cowboys operate under the same cap as everyone else. The Cowboys signed their star players like a lot of other teams do. The Cowboys make more money than any franchise in the NFL so "cash" isn't an issue either. But for some reason, the Cowboys want us to believe that they are cap poor because they sign their own guys and apparently that's not an issue other teams face, hence why they can be more active in FA. It's BS.

And it's only going to get worse when Jerry moves on from this life.
What team in the past has had to sign 4 all pros in two years?

Sydla

Reaction score
I look at the contracts the Cowboys hand out and I feel like they spend like drunken sailors. Guys like Martin and Lawrence get paid year after year like they are gods. Absolute scrubs like J Smooth and Crawford get massive deals. Degenerate clowns like Zeke and Diggs get early extensions like they are super bowl MVPs. Open your eyes people. The Cowboys spend their wad. They just spend it on the wrong people.

You literally complain about every contract signed.

Complaining about Martin's contract is funny. Downright funny.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score

Hold on just for one second. The Eagles use the credit card far more than the Cowboys. This is a bad thing for your daily life, but not a bad thing to try to win a championship. They're trying to win now, money be damned. We're not. As a fan, I don't care about Jerry's money. I care that he makes moves to better the team. Take the Gallup release for example. If it was a computer sim, you wouldn't release Gallup because his cap hit is the same as his dead cap. But the Cowboys released him to save on paying his base pay. It had nothing to do with what was better for the team.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The Eagles figured out a way to sign Saquan Barkley. They have their QB signed to a massive deal. They have 2 -#1 WRs under long term contracts. They have a top 10 tight end signed. They have 3 extra picks in rounds 3-5 next year. And they just drafted the top 2 CBs in the draft. When was the last time you heard a team get the top 2 CBs in the same draft?
:banghead: