Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Hold on just for one second. The Eagles use the credit card far more than the Cowboys. This is a bad thing for your daily life, but not a bad thing to try to win a championship. They're trying to win now, money be damned. We're not. As a fan, I don't care about Jerry's money. I care that he makes moves to better the team. Take the Gallup release for example. If it was a computer sim, you wouldn't release Gallup because his cap hit is the same as his dead cap. But the Cowboys released him to save on paying his base pay. It had nothing to do with what was better for the team.
Eagles been to 2 Super Bowls in last 5 years. Cowboys still working on it since 95. Scoreboard Eagles management.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hold on just for one second. The Eagles use the credit card far more than the Cowboys. This is a bad thing for your daily life, but not a bad thing to try to win a championship. They're trying to win now, money be damned. We're not. As a fan, I don't care about Jerry's money. I care that he makes moves to better the team. Take the Gallup release for example. If it was a computer sim, you wouldn't release Gallup because his cap hit is the same as his dead cap. But the Cowboys released him to save on paying his base pay. It had nothing to do with what was better for the team.
I get that and the nature of the inflationary cap environment. I also get that risk involved when you leverage like that.

Like when Aikman and Romo got injured and accelerated their hits after already prorating on top of it. There are teams like the Eagles and the Rams that do things as you would like and there are teams like the Steelers and Ravens that do more like we do.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid getting mad at my parents because they would always say they didn't have any money when I knew damn well they did. Over the years since, I learned about planning, budgets, credit, and all manner of things.

I now think that to be childish thinking.

We know that the Cowboys do not value RB or age. Henry is several years older than Zeke and is making more money.

We also know that the Cowboys use future projections beyond the present year and budget cap allocation by position group. Capboy has talked about it recently.
"Future projection"

...my dude, Henry has one season with guaranteed money and a small cap hit after that if he rapidly declines lol

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Agree with every point, but the Eagles’ bill starts coming due in 36 months and they gave their QB a NTC. No one knows what the future holds with cap increases. Even if their owner didn’t blurt it out, they seem like they’re “all in”.
We've been waiting for Eagles cap to be in shambles for over a decade now. Somehow they always get out of it....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL.

It must be time of the year where Rockport defends the Jones'. This is how the Rocky calendar works. From January to about late February, Rockport blames Jerry for all their failures. From late February to maybe late March, you can see the softening of his stance. From April until December, it's full throated defense of any criticism of Jerry.

Repeat every year.
Please show me where I’ve defended any criticism of Jerry. I’ll wait……..

Chasing6

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

Salary Cap due to a wasted $5.3M on a QB who will never play a down this year.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

aikemirv

Reaction score
Stephen, what you don't have to allocate is about 110 million top 3 guys on the roster - that is your problem! Don't pay a QB who cant get it done in the playoffs 50-60 million and you will be just fine!

Not 6 million to Henry

triplets_93

Reaction score
Watcha mean?
What I mean is, that you are abused by being sold a team that pretends in the Regular Season to be a playoff contender, but, then shows you who they really are each year in the Playoffs.

Yet each year, you come back for more of the same abuse.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
....it was a sentence. Are you confusing what I responded to? It was absolutely apt what I responded with.
the discussion about future projections was separate from the one about Henry. paragraphs should make that clear.

you conflated the two.

kskboys

Reaction score
What I mean is, that you are abused by being sold a team that pretends in the Regular Season to be a playoff contender, but, then shows you who they really are each year in the Playoffs.

Yet each year, you come back for more of the same abuse.
Not really. I'm a realist, so I simply wait and watch, hoping for some future. I never buy into Jerry's spiel.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Stephen’s an idiot about the cap. This should have obvious since forever.

Remember the year they signed Carr and he laughed at the idea of “cap hell” because the restructured to do it?

Blaming the cap is one hell of a confession of incompetence

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The mean old salary cap..... the audacity of the NFL to impose such sanctions against the Cowboys and let the rest of the league do whatever willy nilly when it comes to player's salaries. And don't forget that Goodell and the NFL also make the Cowboys play with an oblong shaped ball.. I cannot contain myself.. :mad: Poor Stevie boy..

Surfguy

Reaction score
You have to at least make that phone call to talk and that is the failure. You didn’t even know what he wanted. Quit trying to sugarcoat it!