Stephen Jones: "CeeDee Needs 12-15 Targets Per Game."

Aven8

Reaction score
Tweedle dee thinks this is Madden so based on Ceedees new deal, hes talkin out his arse about how many targets he needs. DUMB. Thats not how this game works in real life Stevie. He will get plenty targets and a number shouldn't be placed on what that looks like. Its irrelevant to winning. The flow of the game should dictate terms. Whats working or not working.
Right. I mean he led the league in catches last year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He is correct.
yes and no. I mean, the tendencies of the game dictate terms. You can't go into a game forcing an issue. Just run your offense, lets see what works. The numbers will come but I wouldn't set a bar on that. If CD has 6 catches the entire game but we win, Im happy. If thats what it takes. Stephen Jones is only talking this way due to the huge deal they shelled out. The 2 things have nothing to do with how many targets CD needs a game. It's ridiculous talk. Just win the game. We can always go back and look at the stats/targets later.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Timely comments like this are what propelled Stephen to the top of our front office heirarchy. You gotta turn up the pressure on players by putting things out in the media and making your expectations publicly known. Its textbook front office 101, and other teams will sit up and take notice.
In 10 years we are going to marvel at all of the front offices that emulate the JonesBoys model. Frankly, I'm amazed they aren't already doing that. I mean, how can you question the results? So many championships, I can't count them all!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Right. I mean he led the league in catches last year.
exactly! So all we need him to do is what hes been doing. Thats fine. No need to force anything and start talking about target rate. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
In an interview a couple of weeks ago, Stephen Jones said that for what the Cowboys were about to pay CeeDee Lamb, he needs to be targeted 12-15 times per game. Given how the Jones family operates, this is not surprising at all. They want to justify giving CeeDee this new contract. Besides, I already said in a couple of posts that this could happen, and to not be surprised if it does happen and CeeDee has a similar season to last year or better if he can stay healthy. People (on and off this board) got on me last year for making my predictions of him getting 120+ catches, 1,600+ yards, and 15 touchdowns for 2023. Anyway, here are a couple of links to articles with Stephen's quote:

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/cowboy...e-lamb-12-to-15-targets-per-game-pay-contract
https://nodereport.bleacherreport.c...amb-needs-to-be-targeted-12-15-times-per-game
He said the same thing about Amari.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ration-with-amari-coopers-production.amp.html

And they know this, because this was the major change they made with Lamb after the bye. They actually force fed him the ball, a lot through pre-snap motion after the bye. Prior to the bye, Dallas was close to last in pre-snap motion in the “Dak friendly”, Texas West Coast. And Lamb was targeted 181 times last year.

The problem is, Dak is a 1 read QB. If a defense can handle Lamb, like the Packers, call it a wrap.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This comment is a perfect representation of JJ and SJs public comments summed up in one word: Unnecessary.
exactly. Because all we need from CD is what's necessary. Nothing less nothing more. I could care less about targets as long as we win. Let CD work within the confines of the offense and we are fine.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So Dak is going to be staring down CeeDee even more this year? At the expense of wins? Just great.
the Jones boys are simply out of touch when it comes to how winning games works. Stephens comments were made AFTER they paid CD a boatload. So now he thinks because they paid him CD needs more targets. The game doesn't work that way. We only need CD to do what he does. Nothing more.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Stephen wants hero ball not team ball. Football at any level is a true team sport. Words sometimes do damage and what he said, even if well intended, hurt the team if they buy into that mindset. All we want Dak to do is hit whomever the open guy is within the confines of the offensive scheme. Lets not worry about the number on the jersey. The good teams do this. CD will be top 3 wr in the league if we just do what we do. Just like last year. I hate the idea of predetermining how man targets he needs. It's not helpful.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Timely comments like this are what propelled Stephen to the top of our front office heirarchy. You gotta turn up the pressure on players by putting things out in the media and making your expectations publicly known. Its textbook front office 101, and other teams will sit up and take notice.
If only that could work in reverse - putting some public pressure on Little Stephen and his old man for some playoff results.

Is there anyone associated with this team that is more of a beneficiary of DNA and wealth that Stephen Jones? At least the players he’s so quick to publicly pressure have earned their paychecks through actual accomplishments.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If only that could work in reverse - putting some public pressure on Little Stephen and his old man for some playoff results.

Is there anyone associated with this team that is more of a beneficiary of DNA and wealth that Stephen Jones? At least the players he’s so quick to publicly pressure have earned their paychecks through actual accomplishments.
So, you're saying Stephen's chemical engineering degree doesn't qualify him as an NFL front office exec/ cap guru and nepotism got him this job? No way. Stephen is playing chess and the rest of the league is playing checkers. In one deft comment, he told CD that he has to earn his contract and Dak how many balls he expects thrown to CD. This takes ALL the guess work out. Maybe Dak was confused about who to throw the ball too, and CD was wondering how many time he'll have the opportunity to make a play? This comment also helps the OC by letting him know how many times he has to call plays involving CD.

Stephen has them all on the same page now. That's next level stuff. You wait. Howie Roseman will make a statement in the media next week alerting Jalen Hurts of his expectations.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
But it's stupid to put this out in the public.
This the part that should be stopped.

There are things that are said and shared in the front offices and coaches offices and not for public consumption.

As mild as this comment is I would just have preferred that nothing is said.

Here is a better version, "Cee Dee is a great player and playmaker on the team. We need to find ways to get him involved every game."

StylisticS

Reaction score
This team is ran by a family of clowns. What is the need to make this dumb comment for? They just live to hear themselves talk.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
In an interview a couple of weeks ago, Stephen Jones said that for what the Cowboys were about to pay CeeDee Lamb, he needs to be targeted 12-15 times per game. Given how the Jones family operates, this is not surprising at all. They want to justify giving CeeDee this new contract. Besides, I already said in a couple of posts that this could happen, and to not be surprised if it does happen and CeeDee has a similar season to last year or better if he can stay healthy. People (on and off this board) got on me last year for making my predictions of him getting 120+ catches, 1,600+ yards, and 15 touchdowns for 2023. Anyway, here are a couple of links to articles with Stephen's quote:

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/cowboy...e-lamb-12-to-15-targets-per-game-pay-contract
https://nodereport.bleacherreport.c...amb-needs-to-be-targeted-12-15-times-per-game
Likes to get his monies worth ;)