Stephen Jones: "CeeDee Needs 12-15 Targets Per Game."

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
"I told [Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy] things can't change. He's got to be targeted 12 to 15 times a game. You got to hand it to him a couple more times. So I don't see that changing in the least bit.
"He's our No. 1 go-to guy."

He's speaking the obvious, but I don't like how he's going about it. Owners son telling the Super Bowl winning HC how to distribute touches is laughable at best. I'm sure McCarthy knows that Lamb is an elite talent, and giving him touches will generally increase chances of winning. Forcing the ball down his throat when there are other options on the other hand, will not.

It's like Steve is trying to come off as the smartest guy in the room, when the reality of the matter is that he's not even really good at his own job. This is the face of the Cowboys after Jerral kicks the bucket. Doesn't really give me the warm and fuzziess.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stephen Jones: "CeeDee Needs 12-15 Targets Per Game​

Top 20 Wide Receivers by Total Contractual Value

PlayerGames StartedTargetsTargets Per GameTeamTotal Value
Davante Adams
132​
1301​
9.9​
Raiders
$140,000,000​
Justin Jefferson
57​
576​
10.1​
Vikings
$140,000,000​
CeeDee Lamb
61​
568​
9.3​
Cowboys
$136,000,000​
Amon-Ra St. Brown
41​
429​
10.5​
Lions
$120,010,000​
D.J. Moore
90​
752​
8.4​
Bears
$110,000,000​
Amari Cooper
133​
1078​
8.1​
Browns
$100,000,000​
A.J. Brown
69​
598​
8.7​
Eagles
$96,000,000​
Calvin Ridley
52​
516​
9.9​
Titans
$92,000,000​
Tyreek Hill
106​
1049​
9.9​
Dolphins
$90,000,000​
Jaylen Waddle
47​
361​
7.7​
Dolphins
$84,750,000​
Keenan Allen
106​
1083​
10.2​
Bears
$80,100,000​
Cooper Kupp
78​
791​
10.1​
Rams
$80,100,000​
DeVonta Smith
49​
352​
7.2​
Eagles
$75,000,000​
Nico Collins
25​
235​
9.4​
Texans
$72,750,000​
D.K. Metcalf
81​
618​
7.6​
Seahawks
$72,000,000​
Christian Kirk
70​
576​
8.2​
Jaguars
$72,000,000​
Deebo Samuel
58​
429​
7.4​
49ers
$71,550,000​
Terry McLaurin
80​
609​
7.6​
Commanders
$69,600,000​
Chris Godwin
77​
754​
9.8​
Buccaneers
$60,000,000​
Jerry Jeudy
44​
356​
8.1​
Browns
$52,500,000​

https://overthecap.com/contracts
stathead.com (subscription data)

9 - 11 targets per game would be a better, more realistic expectation. Joneses :facepalm:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In an interview a couple of weeks ago, Stephen Jones said that for what the Cowboys were about to pay CeeDee Lamb, he needs to be targeted 12-15 times per game. Given how the Jones family operates, this is not surprising at all. They want to justify giving CeeDee this new contract. Besides, I already said in a couple of posts that this could happen, and to not be surprised if it does happen and CeeDee has a similar season to last year or better if he can stay healthy. People (on and off this board) got on me last year for making my predictions of him getting 120+ catches, 1,600+ yards, and 15 touchdowns for 2023. Anyway, here are a couple of links to articles with Stephen's quote:

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/cowboy...e-lamb-12-to-15-targets-per-game-pay-contract
https://nodereport.bleacherreport.c...amb-needs-to-be-targeted-12-15-times-per-game
What’s your point?

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Stephen is an overindulgent entitled brat born with carte blanche to say what he wants, when he wants, cuz his daddy owns the business.

Typically his comments are glossed over due to his Chuckles the Clown demeanor and his reputation of NOT being someone that’s worth listening to.

Take it for what it’s worth - more Chuckles word vomit not worthy of being dissected.

Lamb and Rayne have proven to be a good combination, so he will get his targets. In addition to that, our #2 isn’t the caliber of player that requires you to feed him anyway.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
In an interview a couple of weeks ago, Stephen Jones said that for what the Cowboys were about to pay CeeDee Lamb, he needs to be targeted 12-15 times per game. Given how the Jones family operates, this is not surprising at all. They want to justify giving CeeDee this new contract. Besides, I already said in a couple of posts that this could happen, and to not be surprised if it does happen and CeeDee has a similar season to last year or better if he can stay healthy. People (on and off this board) got on me last year for making my predictions of him getting 120+ catches, 1,600+ yards, and 15 touchdowns for 2023. Anyway, here are a couple of links to articles with Stephen's quote:

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/cowboy...e-lamb-12-to-15-targets-per-game-pay-contract
https://nodereport.bleacherreport.c...amb-needs-to-be-targeted-12-15-times-per-game
Translation:

We payed him a lot of money now throw him the damn ball. Regardless of how the game goes.
We dont care about winning football games. All we want is our invested money to work.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sounds like Stephen is hellbent on getting their money's worth for the monumental contract that the FO awarded Cee Dee. :muttley:

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This is totally meaningless because it's what they were doing last year anyway, especially the second half.

But it's stupid to put this out in the public.
Right Lord knows until they had that meeting then things started to take off for some reason

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yes and no. I mean, the tendencies of the game dictate terms. You can't go into a game forcing an issue. Just run your offense, lets see what works. The numbers will come but I wouldn't set a bar on that. If CD has 6 catches the entire game but we win, Im happy. If thats what it takes. Stephen Jones is only talking this way due to the huge deal they shelled out. The 2 things have nothing to do with how many targets CD needs a game. It's ridiculous talk. Just win the game. We can always go back and look at the stats/targets later.
True to an extent, but you also build your game plan on getting the ball in the hands of your best players. Last year, we started the season with the idea of getting the ball out quickly no matter who was open. After Lamb met with McCarthy about it, we began looking for ways to get it to him because he's the best receiver we have with the ball in his hands. First six games, he was targeted more than 7 times in a game just once. Final 11, he was targeted less than 10 times only twice (9 both times).

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Last year Lamb was the most targeted player in the NFL with 181 targets. They are saying they need an additional 23 minimum over what was again the most targeted player in the league already. It’s kind of a crazy number they are shooting for as an average for his targets.
15x17=255 ! lol
thats more than 23

Last year was 10.5 per game avg

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yes and no. I mean, the tendencies of the game dictate terms. You can't go into a game forcing an issue. Just run your offense, lets see what works. The numbers will come but I wouldn't set a bar on that. If CD has 6 catches the entire game but we win, Im happy. If thats what it takes. Stephen Jones is only talking this way due to the huge deal they shelled out. The 2 things have nothing to do with how many targets CD needs a game. It's ridiculous talk. Just win the game. We can always go back and look at the stats/targets later.
yes agreed, and you never know what will be needed in a game, till your playing it.
The priority is to win the game, not get cd x # of targets lol. His pay now should not dictate # of targets he gets.

In football, if the defense knows what your going to do they can usually stop it most of the time

The other problem with this , is these things should be said by the HC if they are going to be said, and the HC should decide
on lambs targets, not Stephen or his daddy! And really it is stupid to announce this stuff. No reason for it at all.

This is how they de power the HC, and turn him into a puppet.

If they want to decide all this, then they should just be the HC for real. Get out of the suite, get down on the sidelines and coach the game!

Chasing6

Reaction score

Trance would be afraid to throw him the ball that many times unless they were all 5 yard outs.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I can't wait until next year when Trance is attempting to throw 12-15 passes to there $34M WR.