Stephen Jones' comments at owners meeting

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
And you hit it on the head. If any of the 3 are franchise QBs and we don't take one it would be a disaster of epic proportions.

The likes of which we've never seen before.

It would be....the Perfect Jerry.
Omg... if we don't take Goff or Wentz given the opportunity at #4 I am pretty sure I will projectile vomit through my wall over my fence and into my neighbor's living room. Only our FO can compel such magical projectile vomit.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Why? Because perhaps there's some truth to it?

You know.. kinda like many of us saw through Randle's smoke screen long before the rest of us....

What the heck does Randle have to do with this?

The team has said for 3 years running they aren't going to be big free agent players.

When they then aren't big free agent players saying they whiffed makes you look foolish.

Don't be foolish.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Which would describe any negotiation from any team with any player they don't sign.

Your face is running.
Aren't you the guy who advocated for the team to take a 32m dead money ca hit?

How embarrassing. LOL

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Thornton was a great signing.
So you're calling Thornton a splash? He's solid but uhmm, how much better did we get at DT? I like the signing but without DEs having Thornton may be no different than having Hayden.

Good luck Thornton.

cej757

Reaction score
Isn't building through the draft what most sensible people have been saying for years? I guess I just fail to understand the outrage for not overpaying for average players.

I'm glad Stephen isn't using the injury excuse for our season last year. It was a factor, no doubt, but you should be able to win more than 4 games even with your best two players out.

Someone needs to tell that to Mickey Spagnola because he thinks the only reason for 4-12 was Tony and Dez being out.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Omg... if we don't take Goff or Wentz given the opportunity at #4 I am pretty sure I will projectile vomit through my wall over my fence and into my neighbor's living room. Only our FO can compel such magical projectile vomit.

Carson H. Wentz, I don't even want to think about it. You won't see me around here.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Isn't building through the draft what most sensible people have been saying for years? I guess I just fail to understand the outrage for not overpaying for average players.

I'm glad Stephen isn't using the injury excuse for our season last year. It was a factor, no doubt, but you should be able to win more than 4 games even with your best two players out.

Like I said previously, both sides have posters who are "outraged" and resort to name calling because they have a different view.

The facts remain, teams that win consistently get "their" guys in FA when they have glaring holes to address before the draft. They don't overspend, but they get their guys.

The Patriots and Broncos did it last year, Patriots did it the year they won the SB, so did the Seahawks. The Cardinals are one of the best teams in the NFC because they use FA. The Ravens and Newsome love is abound for their FO and they're paying 9million this year to Weddle because they have no players at safety.

Does anyone feel comfortable at DE? Mario Williams, an all pro a season ago, signed for 2 years/16 mill and Robert Ayers, a top 10 edge player, signed for 3 years/21 million. That's not overpaying. Either one would make this a much more comfortable draft/offseason.

This is also a secondary coming off one of the worst TO performances in the history of the NFL. Without Tony putting up points, they couldn't buy a TO. So, what happens? As of right now, there is 0 turnover, just like the amount forced by our starters last year. In fact Church got a raise to 4.25 million. Carr is a dead man walking, I hope at least.

Yes you build through the draft, but if somehow, miraculously, hit all of your needs in the draft then you either are incredibly lucky or you adopted a poor drafting philosophy of drafting for need instead of BPA. BPA simply isn't going to line up with all your needs every time, in fact it won't most of the time, that's why you have FA.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
So you're calling Thornton a splash? He's solid but uhmm, how much better did we get at DT? I like the signing but without DEs having Thornton may be no different than having Hayden.

Good luck Thornton.

Show me where I claimed it was a splash? He's much better than Hayden. You can continue to be negative, but don't be dumb too.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thornton was nice. I just wanted to see more. I said two months ago I wanted an aggressive FA period so that the front office felt it addressed 2016 enough to make them comfortable taking a QB in the 1st round. They didn't do that.

Now if they still take a QB, all is good in my world. But if this leads to a non QB pick like I suspect, hide all kittens. I'm kicking 50 yard FGs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said previously, both sides have posters who are "outraged" and resort to name calling because they have a different view.

The facts remain, teams that win consistently get "their" guys in FA when they have glaring holes to address before the draft. They don't overspend, but they get their guys.

The Patriots and Broncos did it last year, Patriots did it the year they won the SB, so did the Seahawks. The Cardinals are one of the best teams in the NFC because they use FA. The Ravens and Newsome love is abound for their FO and they're paying 9million this year to Weddle because they have no players at safety.

Does anyone feel comfortable at DE? Mario Williams, an all pro a season ago, signed for 2 years/16 mill and Robert Ayers, a top 10 edge player, signed for 3 years/21 million. That's not overpaying. Either one would make this a much more comfortable draft/offseason.

This is also a secondary coming off one of the worst TO performances in the history of the NFL. Without Tony putting up points, they couldn't buy a TO. So, what happens? As of right now, there is 0 turnover, just like the amount forced by our starters last year. In fact Church got a raise to 4.25 million. Carr is a dead man walking, I hope at least.

Yes you build through the draft, but if somehow, miraculously, hit all of your needs in the draft then you either are incredibly lucky or you adopted a poor drafting philosophy of drafting for need instead of BPA. BPA simply isn't going to line up with all your needs every time, in fact it won't most of the time, that's why you have FA.

Comfortable no.

But the Cowboys have said they weren't going to pay for age.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
What the heck does Randle have to do with this?

The team has said for 3 years running they aren't going to be big free agent players.

When they then aren't big free agent players saying they whiffed makes you look foolish.

Don't be foolish.

What does Randle have to do with this? Hmm. Let's see.. Well.. The same dismissive attitude existed when some of us called Randle garbage from the jump. I sense that dismissive attitude again.... Soo. Presto. Comparison.