Video: Stephen Jones: Dak is more like Aikman than Romo

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Skip and Shannon discuss Stephen Jones' comment: "Dak is more like Troy Aikman than Tony Romo."

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To be fair, Dak has work to dp in terms of improving his overall performance. To compare him to Aikman at this point of his career, I'm not sure what the heck Stephen was thinking by making such a comparison. That's especially so, after Dak had such an unfortunate second season. He'll get better.

Last edited:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I believe he is referring to his approach, because it sure isn't skillset. Aikman was more of a script follower, Romo a freestyler.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
It sure isn't skillset? Nah, Dak simply led all QBs as the #1 passer into "tight windows", but it's easier just to say he has no skillset.

Only because he had no choice when receivers get no separation. Either throw the ball or run it yourself. When you got receivers doing that for the whole season, of course he should get that honor of being number 1 passer in tight windows.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Sorry I am not of this analytics generation, seeing is believing, and I see Dak's skillset isn't in the same ballpark as Aikman.
Stephen Jones never said Dak is in the same ballpark as Aikman. He was saying Dak is more like Aikman when it comes to needing receivers make clean cuts, get separation and be where they are supposed to be on a timely pattern... as long as Dak gets good pass protection up front like Aikman did. At the same time, Dak has the ability to scramble and run with the ball, which is a plus. Whereas Romo was more of a scrambler who would buy time in the pocket for his receivers to get open like Roger Staubach used to do during his early playing years, Dak is more like Aikman who needs receivers who can run excellent timed routes, make clean cuts and consistently get separation. Did you even watch the video? It's obvious you didn't.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...matthew-stafford-among-top-10-tightwindow-qbs

As the greatest quarterback of all time, Tom Brady's absence from the top 10 will certainly come as a surprise to some fans. However, Brady's best skill is the ability to consistently make the right read while operating the Patriots' offense like a well-oiled machine. Brady has thrown fewer than 18 percent of his passes into tight windows in each of the last two seasons, quantifiably demonstrating his elite decision-making.

-- Jared Goff was one of the most improved players in the NFL this past season, bouncing back from a nightmare rookie season. New Rams head coach Sean McVay proved to be one of the best play-callers and offensive minds in the game. McVay's scheme helps facilitate space and lay-up completions for his quarterback to help him get into a rhythm and move the ball. Goff threw an NFL-high 25.9 percent of his passes into tight windows in 2016, but that rate fell down to 14.3 percent under McVay, ranking 31st among qualifying quarterbacks.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Stephen Jones never said Dak is in the same ballpark as Aikman. He was saying Dak is more like Aikman when it comes to needing receivers make clean cuts, get separation and be where they are supposed to be on a timely pattern... as long as Dak gets good pass protection up front like Aikman did. At the same time, Dak has the ability to scramble and run with the ball, which is a plus. Whereas Romo was more of a scrambler who would buy time in the pocket for his receivers to get open like Roger Staubach used to do during his early playing years, Dak is more like Aikman who needs receivers who can run excellent timed routes, make clean cuts and consistently get separation. Did you even watch the video? It's obvious you didn't.
No Stephen didn't, you did bringing up his tight window throws. I simply said I have seen Aikman consistently make tight window throws, and Dak not so much. Irvin seldom got separation for the record.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No Stephen didn't, you did bringing up his tight window throws. I simply said I have seen Aikman consistently make tight window throws, and Dak not so much. Irvin seldom got separation for the record.
Irvin seldom got separation? Maybe but he certainly knew how to use his body as a shield to keep distance between the defender and Irvin's outreached hands when making a grab.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I take it back. After further review, it sure seems like Michael Irvin used to get separation a lot of times during his route running.