Video: Stephen Jones: Dak is more like Aikman than Romo

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No Stephen didn't, you did bringing up his tight window throws. I simply said I have seen Aikman consistently make tight window throws, and Dak not so much. Irvin seldom got separation for the record.

Irvin was the king of the push-off until the league took it away from him. I'm not knocking him because he was a great player, but when he needed to, he created separation by shoving the defender away from him.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I was in for the Stephen Jones quote and then how long it would take to turn it into a shot at Dez. I made it to the 1.41 mark!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irvin was the king of the push-off until the league took it away from him. I'm not knocking him because he was a great player, but when he needed to, he created separation by shoving the defender away from him.
Yep, hence the "Irvin Rule", which strangely enough, was already a rule.

erod

Reaction score
You mean like in the Green Bay playoff loss game from 2016?

That's not a great example because that Packers defense was absolutely atrocious, and injured everywhere on top of that. They could stop nothing.

I think our best case scenario for Dak is that he develops into a quarterback like Alex Smith. Both of them do not like to take chances with the football and prefer to throw underneath. Neither is big on using their wideouts much. Smith is pretty good at moving his team though, and he's got good mobility to keep drives alive, but he won't knife through defenses down field in tight windows.

Our worst case scenario is that Dak evolves into a Josh Freeman or Byron Leftwich. Those guys lost their nerve after taking a lot of hits, and just faded away. They never transitioned from the college game to the NFL. There are a TON of quarterbacks that fit in that category.

Dak isn't like Troy or Romo. Both comparisons are silly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...matthew-stafford-among-top-10-tightwindow-qbs

As the greatest quarterback of all time, Tom Brady's absence from the top 10 will certainly come as a surprise to some fans. However, Brady's best skill is the ability to consistently make the right read while operating the Patriots' offense like a well-oiled machine. Brady has thrown fewer than 18 percent of his passes into tight windows in each of the last two seasons, quantifiably demonstrating his elite decision-making.

-- Jared Goff was one of the most improved players in the NFL this past season, bouncing back from a nightmare rookie season. New Rams head coach Sean McVay proved to be one of the best play-callers and offensive minds in the game. McVay's scheme helps facilitate space and lay-up completions for his quarterback to help him get into a rhythm and move the ball. Goff threw an NFL-high 25.9 percent of his passes into tight windows in 2016, but that rate fell down to 14.3 percent under McVay, ranking 31st among qualifying quarterbacks.
The tight window stat is EXTREMELY flawed.
VERY dependent on the person throwing the ball in multiple ways

vlad

Reaction score

goshan

Reaction score
I didn't listen to this BUT Dak is to Aikman as Romo was to Bledslow. Aikman was deadly accurate, Dak doesn't have that yet. Aikman wasn't mobile either but mobile enough. Aikman also had amazing chemistry with Irvin. Aikman had a great arm, I would say Dak's is average. I really don't see a strong similarity to their game. Again it's like comparing Romo's game to Bledsoe's game. Romo was mobile, Bledsoe feet of clay. Bledsoe had a better arm when he was younger than Romo. Romo could improvise. Bledslow could only dream about improvising. Truly I'd say Dak is more like Quincy Carter with higher character, leadership ability and self esteem. Dak is smart, Quincy not so much

Quincy probably had better wonderlic than dak. Quincy is odd and has an addiction problem, but he isn’t dumb.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No Stephen didn't, you did bringing up his tight window throws. I simply said I have seen Aikman consistently make tight window throws, and Dak not so much. Irvin seldom got separation for the record.

It was the timing offense........how many times we used to hear Troy releasing the ball before WRs would make their break.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Quincy probably had better wonderlic than dak. Quincy is odd and has an addiction problem, but he isn’t dumb.
Quincy: 30
Aikman: 29
Dak: 25
Romo: 37
Dez: 16
Garrett: 36
ClaiBURNED: 4

Check out more...

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...lic-test-scores-cowboys-2017-draft-class-fare

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yawn. More Jones family comments about football. Complete rubbish. Aikman was a pure pocket passer with accuracy. Romo was an athlete that used his God given ability to extend plays and cover up a disasterous offensive scheme.

Dak is much closer to Romo in athletic ability. Young Jones is becoming more annoying by the day.