Video: Stephen Jones: Dak is more like Aikman than Romo

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I loved Aikman. No nonsense leader who demanded everyone play at their best. Interesting thing is he didn't have great numbers. In fact take a look at both of the QBs first two seasons.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No Stephen didn't, you did bringing up his tight window throws. I simply said I have seen Aikman consistently make tight window throws, and Dak not so much. Irvin seldom got separation for the record.
What Irvin were you watching? Not #88 for the Dallas Cowboys who was the master, many said illegally, at getting separation. I get a feeling you’re too young to have watched Irvin play.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep he kicked butt against philly's third stringers... and managed to score once... whoopie.... oh yeah,, "everybody was hurt and the receiver forgot how to run routes and one guy was hurt on the offensive line" "best QB every"..... rah rah...

vaturkey

Reaction score
I think both Aikman and Dak have mental toughness. I think there is nothing about their respective abilities are the same.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
What Irvin were you watching? Not #88 for the Dallas Cowboys who was the master, many said illegally, at getting separation. I get a feeling you’re too young to have watched Irvin play.
We are defining separation differently a push off when a defender is draped all over you is not separation that is creating a small window. And yes i am plenty old enough.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We are defining separation differently a push off when a defender is draped all over you is not separation that is creating a small window. And yes i am plenty old enough.
Sorry, but separation is separation not matter how you try and spin it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only because he had no choice when receivers get no separation. Either throw the ball or run it yourself. When you got receivers doing that for the whole season, of course he should get that honor of being number 1 passer in tight windows.
Ratings are a percentage measurement, not total quantity...

blueblood70

Reaction score
To be fair, Dak has work to dp in terms of improving his overall performance. To compare him to Aikman at this point of his career, I'm not sure what the heck Stephen was thinking by making such a comparison. That's especially so, after Dak had such an unfortunate second season. He'll get better.
you mean aikman the guy who was repeatedly beat down his rookie year and didnt win one game and what the next year how many did he win his second year? the guy who threw aton of INTs and his last 1996 sb year he was 12 tds and 12 ints? that guy..you mean the guy that went 0-2 to start a post SB year just because he lost his Back In Emitt? you mean the guy that had like 17 HOF players with him and no slary cap guy?the QB that was known to be the key to handing off to Emitt and throwing when needed and had more sub 250yard games thanyou fans want to remember.. yes he shined in the playoffs but the Rg season numbers are very avg.. as much as i luv aikman and he was great on some of those playoff runs but at times he was bus driver and didnt put up gaudy numbers...So maybe the comparison is aikman was closer to a bus driver and suffered some when his stars were gone ? when he was being sacked a lot he was prone to some INT as well, whereas Romo was gunslinger who liked to go backyard sand lot at times to create where there was nothing.. It too Aikamn some time and a lot of stars to get going and maybe thats where the comparison stops but lets not have amnesia on Aikman where Emitt and that defense won aton of games with the coaching staff doing whatever it took to squeak out wins and that a lot of times was run heavy low passing numbers until they needed it....Jerry might be saying give Dak a chance because like Aikamn it took the right mix of players for that team to take off and aikman to become aikman..

blueblood70

Reaction score
yes but thats before they started calling a lot of PIs now on the WR as well for pushing off and hand fighting..its a different game and yes Irving was good at doing that at the right moment and hiding it but Dez cant do that as they are looking really hard at just that..its different game now..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I loved Aikman. No nonsense leader who demanded everyone play at their best. Interesting thing is he didn't have great numbers. In fact take a look at both of the QBs first two seasons.
True and i see that in Dak some give the guy chance. this instant win demands to be perfect just isn't healthy to ask of a kid..IMO dak doesn't have the staff lie aikman did to tech him the way JJ demanded of his staff to get the most out of players..

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I didn't listen to this BUT Dak is to Aikman as Romo was to Bledslow. Aikman was deadly accurate, Dak doesn't have that yet. Aikman wasn't mobile either but mobile enough. Aikman also had amazing chemistry with Irvin. Aikman had a great arm, I would say Dak's is average. I really don't see a strong similarity to their game. Again it's like comparing Romo's game to Bledsoe's game. Romo was mobile, Bledsoe feet of clay. Bledsoe had a better arm when he was younger than Romo. Romo could improvise. Bledslow could only dream about improvising. Truly I'd say Dak is more like Quincy Carter with higher character, leadership ability and self esteem. Dak is smart, Quincy not so much

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I didn't listen to this BUT Dak is to Aikman as Romo was to Bledslow. Aikman was deadly accurate, Dak doesn't have that yet. Aikman wasn't mobile either but mobile enough. Aikman also had amazing chemistry with Irvin. I really don't see a strong similarity to their game. Again it's like comparing Romo's game to Bledsoe's game. Romo was mobile, Bledsoe feet of clay. Truly I'd say Dak is more like Quincy Carter with higher character, leadership ability and self esteem. Dak is smart, Quincy not so much
I don't believe any Cowboys QB in their franchise history could outrun or outmuscle Dak.

conner01

Reaction score
I didn’t hear the under lining story
But I never like comparing players much
Especially comparing a guys full career to a second year player
I really don’t see much comparison between Troy, Romo or Dak
All 3 are really very different styles
Now I hope Dak ends up with Troys Super Bowl record then we will have something to compare

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I don't believe any Cowboys QB in their franchise history could outrun or outmuscle Dak.

I don't think Staubach could have out muscled Dak in the run department, I'm not sure about foot speed. The problem with QB's who rely on foot speed and running is that like all players they lose a step as they get older or they get beat up badly. See Randal Cunningham, Mike Vick, even Cammy Newton. They lose that step and become very average QB's if they don't have an above average arm and intelligence. See Brady.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
you mean aikman the guy who was repeatedly beat down his rookie year and didnt win one game and what the next year how many did he win his second year? the guy who threw aton of INTs and his last 1996 sb year he was 12 tds and 12 ints? that guy..you mean the guy that went 0-2 to start a post SB year just because he lost his Back In Emitt? you mean the guy that had like 17 HOF players with him and no slary cap guy?the QB that was known to be the key to handing off to Emitt and throwing when needed and had more sub 250yard games thanyou fans want to remember.. yes he shined in the playoffs but the Rg season numbers are very avg.. as much as i luv aikman and he was great on some of those playoff runs but at times he was bus driver and didnt put up gaudy numbers...So maybe the comparison is aikman was closer to a bus driver and suffered some when his stars were gone ? when he was being sacked a lot he was prone to some INT as well, whereas Romo was gunslinger who liked to go backyard sand lot at times to create where there was nothing.. It too Aikamn some time and a lot of stars to get going and maybe thats where the comparison stops but lets not have amnesia on Aikman where Emitt and that defense won aton of games with the coaching staff doing whatever it took to squeak out wins and that a lot of times was run heavy low passing numbers until they needed it....Jerry might be saying give Dak a chance because like Aikamn it took the right mix of players for that team to take off and aikman to become aikman..

Not sure why you're taking that stance. I happen to like Dak and am fully in favor of giving him every opportunity to prove himself, both now and later. To be fair to Dak, this is no time to compare him to a QB who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think Dak will be fine and come back this year to vindicate himself from the criticisms of the past year. No defense in his favor is needed in my estimation. He'll be back to Dak and he'll improve greatly.

You might want to cool it with the Aikman disrespect. It takes more than one man to win an NFL game, even if he happens to get outstanding help. You'd surely be outnumbered by thousands if you don't think Troy Aikman had exceptional qualities as a QB.

I firmly believe there are many good reasons why he's in the Hall of Fame. He was the most accurate QB we've ever had, for one thing. The Cowboys won largely because of Aikman and certainly not despite him. Yes, he had a better nucleus of players around him back then but then, so did the opposition. It was a totally different era back then before the pay cap existed.

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I like Dak a lot. I believe he'll grow as a QB. He has many intangible qualities. Am I married to him as our QB of the next 10 years? No. I wasn't married to Romo either. I think one of our biggest mistakes during the Romo error was failing to draft a QB.and having one ready when he got hurt nearly every year. I know of at least one occasion where Romo was rushed back from a clavicle break BECAUSE we failed to draft any QB's during his time here. In ways that was a huge dis-service to Romo. De Nile is a river in Egypt. Most fans were in denial when Romo finally succumbed to injuries and couldn't even accept that Dak took over. Talk about denial!!

Last edited: