Stephen Jones: 'Damn Sure' Won't Be 'Market-Setter' for New Contracts

robjay04

Reaction score
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones made that much clear Wednesday when discussing pending extensions for running back Ezekiel Elliott, quarterback Dak Prescott and receiver Amari Cooperon 96.7 KTCK The Ticket (h/t USA Today's Jori Epstein):

"We've got three really good football players that we're dealing with here and that have very good representation. And they want to see the market. We can't push the issue unless we want to be a market-setter. And we're damn sure not going to be a market-setter.”

"We want to be fair. We want our players to feel good about their contract. But at the same time, we don't want to do things that are out of line because we can't afford to be that way."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-sure-wont-be-market-setter-for-new-contracts

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Yep, Another year with Zeke and another distraction. I hope they stick to the fines to that greedy b@****. He needs to be on the field learning the new offense. This immature clownish crap has me pissed. I wished the dang players wanted to play. Is that too much to ask? Draw the line in the sand and "say when". Zeke will cave in first, The clown will be suspended for doing dumb crap in Cabo, He has already shown he can't control himself being rich.

I am excited about the new OC and this crap happens. I hope someone kicks sand into Zeke's Piña colada. The man has two lawsuits against him, been suspended and has made more money than the dang starting QB. It is easy to tell who is a good teammate. I would back the Brinks truck up and pay the good teammates first. Jones, Brown, Cooper, Dak and everyone else that want to win. I would pay everyone except Zeke.

Spoiled millennial, I wished he had to work like I have for the past 50 years. He has more dang money now than he can ever spend. He should have to work like us common folk.

Last edited:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones made that much clear Wednesday when discussing pending extensions for running back Ezekiel Elliott, quarterback Dak Prescott and receiver Amari Cooperon 96.7 KTCK The Ticket (h/t USA Today's Jori Epstein):

"We've got three really good football players that we're dealing with here and that have very good representation. And they want to see the market. We can't push the issue unless we want to be a market-setter. And we're damn sure not going to be a market-setter.”

"We want to be fair. We want our players to feel good about their contract. But at the same time, we don't want to do things that are out of line because we can't afford to be that way."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-sure-wont-be-market-setter-for-new-contracts

Let them all leave. With Jerry insisting on retaining JG as the HC they don't stand a chance of winning anything anyway.

robjay04

Reaction score
Well the market has already been set for all 3 guys so you know what you have to pay to keep them.

Talk like this and Jerry’s recent comments kind of makes it clearer what Zeke is doing. Zeke is just making himself a priority before he’s used up.

Shouldn’t have traded for Cooper if you were worried about keeping your current nucleus. I love Cooper here but it doesn’t make sense if you’re going to low ball him and the guys here.

Eventually they caved to Lawrence so it’s all just tough talk, for now.

Praxit

Reaction score
..sounds like Dak and Coop will be getting some nice lunch. Zeke might be getting a coupon to the Salvation Army outlet. ;)..

Fontaine

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Altestic

Reaction score
Yep, Another year with Zeke and another distraction. I hope they stick to the fines to that greedy b@****. He needs to be on the field learning the new offense. This immature clownish crap has me pissed. I wished the dang players wanted to play. Is that too much to ask? Draw the line in the sand and "say when". Zeke will cave in first, The clown will be suspended for doing dumb crap in Cabo, He has already shown he can't control himself being rich.

I am excited about the new OC and this crap happens. I hope someone kicks sand into Zeke's Piña colada. The man has two lawsuits against him, been suspended and has made more money than the dang starting QB. It is easy to tell who is a good teammate. I back the Brinks truck up and pay the good teammates first. Jones, Brown, Cooper, Dak and everyone else that want to win.
At this point I would extend Dak for 2 additional years, for a total of 100M (including this year; so essentially 3 years 34 million AAV per year counting this year, so no real long term commitment) and trade Zeke.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

I am excited about the new OC and this crap happens. I hope someone kicks sand into Zeke's Piña colada. The man has two lawsuits against him, been suspended and has made more money than the dang starting QB. It is easy to tell who is a good teammate. I would back the Brinks truck up and pay the good teammates first. Jones, Brown, Cooper, Dak and everyone else that want to win. I would pay everyone except Zeke.

Lmao. Zeke isn't being sued. It's the Cowboys being sued. Good lord this posts reeks of someone yelling at the clouds about a guy who has no idea you exist yet this actually gets you upset. Get a grip on reality.

Holding out has nothing to do with his teammates. They don't get in the middle of that. It's a business. And no crap Zeke has made more than Dak. One was a top 4 pick and the other was a 4th rounder. Take a step outside and enjoy some fresh air.

Altestic

Reaction score
Well the market has already been set for all 3 guys so you know what you have to pay to keep them.

Talk like this and Jerry’s recent comments kind of makes it clearer what Zeke is doing. Zeke is just making himself a priority before he’s used up.

Shouldn’t have traded for Cooper if you were worried about keeping your current nucleus. I love Cooper here but it doesn’t make sense if you’re going to low ball him and the guys here.

Eventually they caved to Lawrence so it’s all just tough talk, for now.
Lawrence was a different issue. Pass rush is extremely high on the Jones' priority list. Lawrence was always going to be retained unless he wanted like 25M/year or more. JJ/SJ have long complained from 2013-16 that the reason we didn't win the championship was because we couldn't pressure and sack the enemy QB.

Also Lawrence is a high character tenacious worker. Zeke is the kind of guy who knows he's super athletic and could show up out of shape on September 3rd and be the best back on the team on opening day. He's like the guy all the non-elite players in high school hate because he shows up to practice the day before the season starts and he gets a spot ahead of all the hard working kids who were there busting their butts for the past 2 months.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At some point, an NFL team must insist that their players be reasonable regarding their contractual expectations. Otherwise, they'd be unable to compete with teams that operate more efficiently. Simply put, it's a highly desirable goal to be competitive and to maximize your team's success. Maintaining a team's financial structure is crucial in that effort. Stephen seems rigidly set in terms of doing just that. It's for the good of the team.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Let them all leave. With Jerry insisting on retaining JG as the HC they don't stand a chance of winning anything anyway.

And there it is. No matter what the topic, you always manage to squeeze in your “Garrett Sucks” BS. A thread about chocolate cake, and here’s you: “...Garrett won’t eat chocolate cake because he’s a terrible coach!”...

We know, we know...you hate Garrett. Change the freakin’ record!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
At some point, an NFL team must insist that their players be reasonable regarding their contractual expectations. Otherwise, they'd be unable to compete with teams that operate more efficiently. Simply put, it's a highly desirable goal to be competitive and to maximize your team's success. Maintaining a team's financial structure is crucial in that effort. Stephen appears to be rigidly set in terms of doing just that.

The problem is the Jets, the Raiders, and the Vikings will always exist. Teams who'll give FA's whatever they want, and then Zeke can just say "trade me to Miami, i know they'll give me 17 a year. I'm not playing for you anymore unless you match that"

It'll always be the case